GT350 Wheels and tires for the track.

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
3-20 GT500, 17 GT350, 18 Z06, 08 F360, 2) MX-5s
I got some responses over in the GT350 forum so i thought i would ask here as well. From those comments I've settled on the following:

I am thinking of going Shelby CS-21 10.5x19 front and 11x19 rear wheels with Sport cup 2 tires, 315 rear and 305 front.

Girodisc Rotors, Pagid RS29 pads, Castrol SRF fluid.

This should make a good handling setup should it not?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
11F 11.5R would be better for those tire siizes and I'd personally rather have the Apex SM-10 for less money, but those shelbys should work, yes.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
For track work PSC2’s don’t last and heat cycle out quickly. They stick really well but their grip drops substantially over the life of the tire. Tramlining for me was the worst with PSC2’s vs any of the tires I list below.

NT01’s are noisy and only a tad less grip but stay consistent over the life of the tire. Same for RE71R’s. Goodyear Supercar 3R’s are cheaper than the others and are grippy but they heat cycle out faster than NT01’s and RE71R’s.

OP
OP
Richard Shannon

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
For track work PSC2’s don’t last and heat cycle out quickly. They stick really well but their grip drops substantially over the life of the tire. Tramlining for me was the worst with PSC2’s vs any of the tires I list below.

NT01’s are noisy and only a tad less grip but stay consistent over the life of the tire. Same for RE71R’s. Goodyear Supercar 3R’s are cheaper than the others and are grippy but they heat cycle out faster than NT01’s and RE71R’s.
Thanks for that! Great Info!

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I got some responses over in the GT350 forum so i thought i would ask here as well. From those comments I've settled on the following:

I am thinking of going Shelby CS-21 10.5x19 front and 11x19 rear wheels with Sport cup 2 tires, 315 rear and 305 front.

Girodisc Rotors, Pagid RS29 pads, Castrol SRF fluid.

This should make a good handling setup should it not?
Thats an awesome setup. I am looking into the girodisc myself. Cups are great. Pending how many days you are running and how big the bank account is. I dont mind the cost of the cups. Might as well have grip for days.

Sponsored

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Have track experience? Tire and brake recommendation would depend on experience. I like Goodyear 3R and Ferodo pads but slightly different application.

19x11 with the same offset and 305s all around is very popular. This allows you to rotate and keep tires longer. Depending on the track, it will eat the left or right faster. Same offset allows you to move the tire experiencing most of the wear to the corner that isn't. Will require longer studs up front and a 25mm spacer.

Castrol SRF if you divorce the clutch from the master cylinder reservoir; SRF can degrade the hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder.

Apex and Signature make wheels designed for track use and are pretty much the standard for mustang track use.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Not knowing your experience my advice is always.
Squared set up.
Our cars love squared.
Also you can rotate them for a better wearing.
19x11 is a good compromise
305 is what you looking.
Forget SC2. Expensive. Notnthe fastest. Wear fast

My personal standing
3R. Fastest and if rotated up to 4 days put of them. Schetchy when cold. Take it easy forst laps of the day.

A052 (only 18') ready to go after half lap. Similar Lat G of 3R. Not as good on braking zone. Nice in wet condition
Good wearing
Rt660 are new nice compound. Faster than re71 (now dismissed) are very similar for the design. A nice compromise of everything

Nitto nt01. Not the faster (up to 2 sec from 3R in 2' lap) but great consistency and wearing. Ideal for beginner or for someone looking to learn. More the car

OP
OP
Richard Shannon

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Have track experience? Tire and brake recommendation would depend on experience. I like Goodyear 3R and Ferodo pads but slightly different application.

19x11 with the same offset and 305s all around is very popular. This allows you to rotate and keep tires longer. Depending on the track, it will eat the left or right faster. Same offset allows you to move the tire experiencing most of the wear to the corner that isn't. Will require longer studs up front and a 25mm spacer.

Castrol SRF if you divorce the clutch from the master cylinder reservoir; SRF can degrade the hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder.

Apex and Signature make wheels designed for track use and are pretty much the standard for mustang track use.
I was not going to change the clutch fluid, only brake fluid... I was not under the impression the stock clutch fluid was a problem.
Not knowing your experience my advice is always.
Squared set up.
Our cars love squared.
Also you can rotate them for a better wearing.
19x11 is a good compromise
305 is what you looking.
Forget SC2. Expensive. Notnthe fastest. Wear fast

My personal standing
3R. Fastest and if rotated up to 4 days put of them. Schetchy when cold. Take it easy forst laps of the day.

A052 (only 18') ready to go after half lap. Similar Lat G of 3R. Not as good on braking zone. Nice in wet condition
Good wearing
Rt660 are new nice compound. Faster than re71 (now dismissed) are very similar for the design. A nice compromise of everything

Nitto nt01. Not the faster (up to 2 sec from 3R in 2' lap) but great consistency and wearing. Ideal for beginner or for someone looking to learn. More the car
I am thinking of going with these VXR1 wheels in the "square" setup. I had feelers out for just getting a spare set of OEM GT350 wheels for track days, but it appears those fell through.

They do not offer any of the tires you mentioned, save for the re71. I'll get them separately.

It says it comes with spacers and "bolts" i am assuming these are the studs...
FORGELINE GS1R Track Package Mustang GT350/GT350R (competitionmotorsport.com)

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The clutch and brakes share the same fluid reservoir on these cars. Pic below is from flushing my brakes, you can see the old fluid in the clutch section of the reservoir and the clutch line.

1615995789567.png

OP
OP
Richard Shannon

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
lovely.... Alright, well it's getting SRF then... It exceeds DOT type 3 or 4 so will be covered under the warranty.

I won't be getting my 350 for a week or so. It is being shipped.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I was not going to change the clutch fluid, only brake fluid... I was not under the impression the stock clutch fluid was a problem.

I am thinking of going with these VXR1 wheels in the "square" setup. I had feelers out for just getting a spare set of OEM GT350 wheels for track days, but it appears those fell through.

They do not offer any of the tires you mentioned, save for the re71. I'll get them separately.

It says it comes with spacers and "bolts" i am assuming these are the studs...
FORGELINE GS1R Track Package Mustang GT350/GT350R (competitionmotorsport.com)
Those are...expensive wheels :)
I run APEX wheels since 3 years. And they are great on track. For a fraction of the cost.
If you wamt fully forged i stronglynencourage yoy to check SIGNATURE WHEELS. They are fully customizable.
Many many 350 have them.
Flow formed
https://www.apexraceparts.com/
Fully forged
Signaturewheels.com

Those are what most of the mustang race community use
Yes to rotate younneed 25mm spacer and lomger studs. We all have them.

R7 and A7 are compound not for a beginner.

If you are a "beginner" i sygvest the nt01. Not the fastest but very predictable and nice feedback.
Then you can move to next level!
Have fun!!
Sponsored