Sponsored

GT350 vs ....

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
Now just before you hit the back button, let me explain...I am not looking to say "which car is better" I am looking for owners that have owned BOTH of these two cars.

GT350 vs Audi RS5

I get it, the Shelby is a different animal. Manual transmission, flat plane crank, magneride suspension, etc.
But while leaving mine behind I am entertaining (well, I lie, I bought it already) an RS5.

I'm looking for real world opinions on having owned both for tips, pros, cons etc. It is the first time I've owned something other than a Ford in my life!!

Here is what I know:

I bought a 2015 Audi RS5 with 24,5xx miles. It has a 4 year/50k mile warranty from the factory that ends in October of 2018.
It has every option that I am aware of except carbon ceramic brakes.
I got a deal that was (to me) too good to pass up the opportunity to try something new.

I've joined an Audi forum and they are not as helpful responsive as the Mustang forums I'm used to :shrug: so I'm looking to you guys to tell me what I don't know!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Azzurri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Audi RS5
Hey, man I have an Audi RS5 too, 2014 model, which is basically the exact same thing. Mine was CPO so I do have 3 years on it myself.

But recently I have had my eye on the GT350 and am thinking of selling my RS5; even though, I've had it for a little more than a year.

I would like opinions my self too.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I had an RS4 before I bought the R....and recently when I needed another DD, I bought another RS4 ;) Tons of character in these cars. All of the RS4s are MT and I think your car was only available in DCT, right? Generally, the Quattro understeers a bit and is also noticeably heavy. Sound is great, brakes are very good and the interior is simply pleasant. I love mine - the RS4 is, IMO, timeless inside and out. It's always going to look and feel special.

OP
OP
swedensky

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, man I have an Audi RS5 too, 2014 model, which is basically the exact same thing. Mine was CPO so I do have 3 years on it myself.

But recently I have had my eye on the GT350 and am thinking of selling my RS5; even though, I've had it for a little more than a year.

I would like opinions my self too.
Just different experiences. Technically the RS5 will be the ladies car, but allowing me to get my fix without buying another car again (I have a problem). The Shelby is raw. Only way to put it. My old roommate had a twin turbo 2015 GT with a little over 1k crank hp, and his dad has a 13 Shelby with about the same power. Both feel the way the GT350 revs, accelerates, performs is a more "raw" experience. The RS5 is simply sophisticated. I think 8500 redline also? But completely different animals.

I had an RS4 before I bought the R....and recently when I needed another DD, I bought another RS4 ;) Tons of character in these cars. All of the RS4s are MT and I think your car was only available in DCT, right? Generally, the Quattro understeers a bit and is also noticeably heavy. Sound is great, brakes are very good and the interior is simply pleasant. I love mine - the RS4 is, IMO, timeless inside and out. It's always going to look and feel special.
That makes me feel much better! Yeah only available in auto unfortunately. My girl actually prefers stick as well after the Shelby so it was a tough choice but we felt the deal on the RS5 was too good to pick at stuff like that. I didn't know the RS4 was available in stick though.

cattivo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geno
Vehicle(s)
17GT350
I had two Audi S5s before the GT350. Was going to upgrade to the RS5 until I decided on the Shelby. You really cannot beat Audi for checking all the ownership boxes; performance, refinement, prestige, quality. And Audi service is absolutely outstanding! But, for what the RS5 is, for that kind of money, it's lacking in the performance aspect. It's also lost some of its specialness over the years. The Shelby is a unique, all senses experience! If you can overlook it's crudeness versus the RS5, you'll be a very happy camper!

Sponsored

Azzurri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Audi RS5
Just different experiences. Technically the RS5 will be the ladies car, but allowing me to get my fix without buying another car again (I have a problem). The Shelby is raw. Only way to put it. My old roommate had a twin turbo 2015 GT with a little over 1k crank hp, and his dad has a 13 Shelby with about the same power. Both feel the way the GT350 revs, accelerates, performs is a more "raw" experience. The RS5 is simply sophisticated. I think 8500 redline also? But completely different animals.
Cool, I had an S5 prior the RS is 6spd manual and man I really miss it. I'd like to buy a GT 350R, but at 100k no way I pend that much.

habeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Can't help with the GT350 comparison (waiting for the GT350-R prices to come down), but having owned a B5 A4, B6 S4, B7 RS4 (APR SuperCharger), all have great fit and finish. The RS4 is the closest to your RS5. Great for daily driver and entertaining. Sold last year to an audi enthusiast who regularly tracks the car.

AUDI uses a Direct-Injected fuel design which delivers fuel directly into the combustion chamber, unburned fuel escapes through the valves and creates carbon build-up on the top of the valves. This was a regular 20k mile cleaning for my RS4 that involved removal of the intake manifold and manual scrubbing each valve steams. Failing to perform this maintenance will not only result in lower power output, but increase the risk of hard build up entering into the combustion chamber and scoring the walls. This is a well known issue in the AUDI community with lots of photos. Not certain if they made changes to the 2015 RS5, to supplement fuel delivery towards the intake track covering the top of the valves, if not it's something you will want to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swedensky

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
creates carbon build-up on the top of the valves.
Thanks for the heads up! Is something I need to take it in for maintenance wise, or something I need to do myself at home?

habeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Thanks for the heads up! Is something I need to take it in for maintenance wise, or something I need to do myself at home?
Some owners with patience did the work themselves. It involves removing the intake manifold, putting cleaning solution on each valve stem, sit overnight to soften the build-up and scrub each valve. As you clean each chamber you have to make sure the valve position are closed to prevent debris from entering the combustion chamber. I had an independent AUDI shop like JHMotorsports or 034 Motorsports do the work.

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Can't help with the GT350 comparison (waiting for the GT350-R prices to come down),
The R isn't *that* special compared to the normal GT350. I think you are too used to the european way of putting more of all the go fast stuff in the top badge car to help justify the top badge car price. The GT350 has the same engine, transmission, brakes, etc. The reason the R clocks better on the stop watch is largely that it has Cup2 "cheater" tires in a smaller diameter. This lets it get off the line quicker, cleaning up the "slow" 0-60 the GT350 has for this class. The R does have slightly more agressive suspension and areo, but its a very small difference overall. The CF rims are quite special, but for $40K savings, you can get some very nice lightweight forged rims and Cup2 tires for playing at the track, and keep the stock rims for the streets where potholes and curbs await. R suspension is quite cheap if you wish to swap, springs and rear swaybar are all thats needed.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Wow, the R is such a waste of money......

If you're going to stray off topic, at least know the facts.

OP - the carbon cleaning can be done at home by a moderately experienced DIY"er. It's a bit of work for sure. Did you already take delivery? You might be able to get them to do it beforehand. Some people have had luck getting it done under warranty by agreeing to pay for intake removal if carbon is not found...for the RS4, it's usually significant.

I'm due for a cleaning now. ;)

habeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The R isn't *that* special compared to the normal GT350.
Appreciate your input, but Im done with mods. Buy the car optioned for my intended use and enjoy it. It will spend most of it's time on the track.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Appreciate your input, but Im done with mods. Buy the car optioned for my intended use and enjoy it. It will spend most of it's time on the track.
Again, the GT350 isn't that different than the GT350R. If you track it you will want to make a couple of mods to match the school cars. Front camber plates are needed to get a proper track alignment, and ford sells catch cans for both banks. School cars still run OEM supersport tires, OEM brakepads, etc.

As far as the suspension goes, I'm talking cheap OEM parts if you wish to get the "real" GT350R handling. If you don't the difference is pretty minor.

The GT350 is available in 10x the numbers as the GT350R and with a massive savings in real world cost. If both were MSRP, then sure, I'd say GT350R all day every day even for a daily driver since there is so much value in the R parts vs MSRP difference... but with $25K+ ADM being normal? Nope, might as well get a lightly used 911 GT3 or TurboS if one is dropping 100K on a toy instead of playing games with crappy Ford Dealers that haven't managed to sell their R this late in the MY.

habeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Again, the GT350 isn't that different than the GT350R. If you track it you will want to make a couple of mods to match the school cars. Front camber plates are needed to get a proper track alignment, and ford sells catch cans for both banks. School cars still run OEM supersport tires, OEM brakepads, etc.
Understand your thought process and for the most part agree. With the ADM on the GT305R it puts me into a very low mileage 997.1 2008 turbo. Not in any rush so will wait till the dust settles. Perfectly happy tracking my Viper TA in the meantime.

With respect to the OP, we should get back on topic.
Sponsored