Sponsored

GT350 vs Supra / M2 Comp / 718 Cayman Review -- C&D Article Oct 2019

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Most people would rather have the GT350. That's why it won so many comparison tests over the Camaro.
I was trying to find some head to head tests b/w the ss 1LE and a GT350. Couldn't find any. What comparison tests has the GT350 won?
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
When it first came out (like actual production photos released), I gave it a pass, figured I'd need to see way more photos/videos. I still thought the MKIV was way better looking (a car I actually owned), and even a touch more functional as a 2+2. Then the performance number came out, it's fine, it certainly didn't scale the way other cars available at the same time have.

... but now, the more I see of it, more I think it's one ugly bit of automotive design. It's all over the place, there's design that conflicts in itself, bad proportions, and it even lost a few of the classic Supra elements that made that car so nice to look at.
I first saw one in person last week. It's ... a bit better in the flesh, but not much. The overall shape works better in real life, in part because it is quite a small car, but other stuff jumps out. Like the fake vents all over with crappy black plastic block-off plates, which make it look like a bad Hyundai design. Overall, hard pass.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
No Camaro in the compo test???
Regular ZL1 against the GT350 R has been done and GT350R lost to regular ZL1 in all performance metrics. What so bizarre is a regular GT350 vs Camaro SS 1LE hasn’t been done most likely due to a Ford embargo. Camaro SS 1LE is faster than all the other cars compared in this article but the assumption is on par with the regular GT350.

Ford doesn’t want their car to be compared to a cheaper alternative i guess. That comparison should have been done back in 2017. It has been the most anticipated comparison of the decade and will not happen for bizarre unknown reasons.

M2 competition vs Camaro ss 1le has been done and supra vs camaro ss 1le has been done. Camaro put down better lap times than both of those cars, meanwhile a regular GT350 lost to an m2 in a Throttle House lap time head to head. You can find the comparison video on YouTube. It was a 2018 version not 19 if i remember right.

Last edited:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
It’s a shame Chevy screwed up the Camaro’s looks and visibility so badly; they would have sold a ton more. Funny thing is they didn’t learn from the complaints about visibility from the previous gen. As for a track only vehicle the Camaro is a compelling alternative due to lower cost and the drivetrain components are cheaper to replace than the GT350.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
It’s a shame Chevy screwed up the Camaro’s looks and visibility so badly; they would have sold a ton more. Funny thing is they didn’t learn from the complaints about visibility from the previous gen. As for a track only vehicle the Camaro is a compelling alternative due to lower cost and the drivetrain components are cheaper to replace than the GT350.
They focused on only one thing. Weight loss. I owned a 12 2ss/rs and the car was a pig scaling at 3930 lbs. 200 lbs weight loss is not bad. The visibility problem is there but you can get used to it living with the car. However I cannot imagine maneuvering fast in bad traffic with that visibility. I have seen people do it but too risky with all the blind spots. You gotta drive it like a grandma lol

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was trying to find some head to head tests b/w the ss 1LE and a GT350. Couldn't find any. What comparison tests has the GT350 won?
Sorry I don't have links. I know it was tested by Motor Trend against the previous gen Z/28, which is its natural competitor being a NA engine.

It has also been compared to the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE by Motor Trend and other reviewers. But mostly if you watch reviews of the Camaro and reviews of the GT350 - even if the two cars aren't both featured in the review the person will often talk about the competition. Those are just short blurbs, not full comparisons, but they have been informative to me.

I'm a car guy and I love variety. I would love to own a newer Camaro just as something different, so I often watch reviews of Camaros as well as Mustang. When I drove the Camaro and then got back into my GT350 afterward I can tell you that even wanting change/variety it wasn't enough. The GT350 is so much better in my opinion. The interior layout and bunker feel is one piece of it, but also the shifter and clutch feel, the sound of the engine, suspension firmness, etc. and I just enjoy driving the GT350 a lot more than I do the Camaro.

I'd like to own a Camaro for a while, especially an SS 1LE because it costs less. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ford guy at heart, but I am open to trying other brands.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I first saw one in person last week. It's ... a bit better in the flesh, but not much. The overall shape works better in real life, in part because it is quite a small car, but other stuff jumps out. Like the fake vents all over with crappy black plastic block-off plates, which make it look like a bad Hyundai design. Overall, hard pass.
Fake vents. This is a total deal breaker for me. Car makers can get away with some vents that look bigger than they really are, but I hate tacky stuck-on, totally non-functional vents. That thing on the door of the Supra is terrible. Ford (and Mustangs) are certainly not without sin in this area, but it's disappointing that the Supra took it to Civic typeR level.

Rob360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
///
Fake vents. This is a total deal breaker for me. Car makers can get away with some vents that look bigger than they really are, but I hate tacky stuck-on, totally non-functional vents. That thing on the door of the Supra is terrible. Ford (and Mustangs) are certainly not without sin in this area, but it's disappointing that the Supra took it to Civic typeR level.
I agree completely. The non-functioning vents on the Supra are completely over the top in terms of pretty much none of them being functional. I told the salesman that was showing me the car as much and he really didn't have a response.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
They say TRD will be offering functional vents. That’s terribly exciting.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
They say TRD will be offering functional vents. That’s terribly exciting.
I thought the current plastic fake vents can actually be removed for better cooling no need for the TRD vents. This discussion was a hot topic like couple of months ago when people actually started taking their cars to the track.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
They are already being modded by vape bro’s on YouTube with giant wings with huge turbos and huge fart pipes. Along with wide body kits that are drilled on with exposed screws. So they’ve already become douche cars.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
They are already being modded by vape bro’s on YouTube with giant wings with huge turbos and huge fart pipes. Along with wide body kits that are drilled on with exposed screws. So they’ve already become douche cars.
Does anyone see the irony of this post on a mustang board?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I thought the current plastic fake vents can actually be removed for better cooling no need for the TRD vents. This discussion was a hot topic like couple of months ago when people actually started taking their cars to the track.
Total lie. Most of the vents would require cutting metal to become functional. The hood vents go nowhere without cutting the underside of the hood. It would be easier to get a new hood. The fake door vent would require cutting twice and making some sort of duct to go through the door into the rear fender. Sure I'm sure somebody will make a kit, but so what? You can make a kit for anything. Here's the Jalopnik article on it- https://jalopnik.com/i-just-dont-believe-what-the-toyota-supras-chief-engine-1831838527

Wyldfyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Why are cars with 100-200 horsepower less so close in performance? I guess it's the weight of the GT350?
Also interesting that they tested 2 cars on 91 octane.
Sponsored