Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Thanks, any notable difference between 19 and 20?
Most notable change is the steering knuckle was borrowed from the 2020 Gt500. Supposed to help with tramlining. Some like the new steering feel while others do not.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
R will hold its value for you better too longer term, and even if you put high miles.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think the question is on you. Are you ready to forgo your sins of the past when you get the R? :). I'm guessing you do have some other type of SUV or truck that you could use for winter and supply runs. If that's the case, yes, R. If not...then I'd just keep what you have. You're talking about a 60% upcharge to get a car that is a 10% improvement. I own an R and I'm not saying that the little extra isn't awesome...I'm just acknowledging that in everything in life, that last little bit extra is what costs the most money, percentage-wise. Keep in mind too - the R will cost you at least what you are paying now in maintenance...and then some.

Another way of thinking is.... I would ALWAYS tell someone to buy the R if they have the option UNLESS they already have a 350. In your case, I can see you having some fun trying to get as much use out of it as possible and keep racking up those miles. It's a cool experiment. Do the normal wear/tear maintenance and also try to keep it progressing in clean mods and upgrades.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if i could get past the 'drinking of water' part...

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think the question is on you. Are you ready to forgo your sins of the past when you get the R? :). I'm guessing you do have some other type of SUV or truck that you could use for winter and supply runs. If that's the case, yes, R. If not...then I'd just keep what you have. You're talking about a 60% upcharge to get a car that is a 10% improvement. I own an R and I'm not saying that the little extra isn't awesome...I'm just acknowledging that in everything in life, that last little bit extra is what costs the most money, percentage-wise. Keep in mind too - the R will cost you at least what you are paying now in maintenance...and then some.

Another way of thinking is.... I would ALWAYS tell someone to buy the R if they have the option UNLESS they already have a 350. In your case, I can see you having some fun trying to get as much use out of it as possible and keep racking up those miles. It's a cool experiment. Do the normal wear/tear maintenance and also try to keep it progressing in clean mods and upgrades.
No I am not planning on buying an SUV. Call me anti SUV/anti minivan/anti anything thats big and tall:) The R, like GT350, would be parked outside 24/7 (but it will have xpel tip to toe and ceramic coating) under the car cover. I will put the same snow tires on it and install rear seats. I understand the R rear seat kit isnt being produced but I dont have a problem buying a regular rear seat with white stitching.

I understand I am in the extreme here but the way I see it is I want to enjoy the car as much as I can, driving my kid to school every morning or to homedepot in the weekends. I dont consider it as a dump truck nor I dont think its not special. Its the only car with a naturally aspirated engine and manual transmission that I can carry my family around. Only other car is E9X M3, which I owned too for 30,000 miles but that car is way too old and is nowhere near as harsh (good) and as raw (good) as the GT350. Seats is the single most important thing for me inside the car and I can tell you I cannot stand on sitting in those seats in BMW’s M cars. And on that note GT350’s seats are 10x better than ZR1’s comp seats and probably 80% of Porsche’s bucket seats. They are amazing.

The cost of this upgrade and timing of it isnt great. I just spent a ton of money on GT3RS (and spent some more with xpel and titanium exhaust). I could afford the R but in a single calendar year, it will be a lot of money spent on a car. But if I wait, I am unlikely to find a new R in a year and I would not want a manual used car as I have no idea how its clutch/transmission/engine was abused. I dont consider proper use abuse, I consider someone not knowing how to drive this car try and drive it hard as abuse. My car with this many miles still has the original clutch and it holds like day 1.

Last thing, I cant even find any new Rs, maybe I need to use Ford website and use inventory search.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Funny, I’m considering adding a gt3rs and ditching my Aston or R which for me has not been reliable in the last year. No rush, maybe by spring, but I’m having a problem getting over no manual.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Funny, I’m considering adding a gt3rs and ditching my Aston or R which for me has not been reliable in the last year. No rush, maybe by spring, but I’m having a problem getting over no manual.
GT3RS is a totally different car. Its the closest thing to a formula 1 car.The sound it makes from inside and outside and the way it changes direction is unparalleled. I would not replace one vs the other. Also GT350 is so big compared to the porsche, its not even in the same league. Porsche has very limited transport capability. Nobody likes to get in those seats without complaining (my daughter who loves cars drove 3 times with me total in 2500 miles).

GT3RS is like a very special prime lens. Like 200 F2.0 or 85 F1.2. GT350 is more like a 24-70 F2.8 II or 70-200 F2.8 III if that makes sense.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, I’ve been on track in a gt3rs and have owned its fatter brother the turbo which is one of two cars I’ve ever sold. The gt3rs is special for sure...but I don’t necessarily think my R is less fun on track or street (when it’s not exploding transmissions that it). Around grattan I can run 1.25, with the instructor in the gt3rs getting in the 1.23 range (which is where the gt500 is at grattan, maybe 1.22). The RS is for sure faster out of a hole, pulls stronger being almost the same power but several hundred lbs lights. As for sound, inside and out, I think the R sounds better and more of an occasion, but both sound special. It’s the gearbox, lack of transport (I drive to track events and bring spare carbon wheels, gas cans, tools ect and can’t do that in a gt3 so a chorded tire ruins the day), and I guess sticker price of 3x the R that is holding me back. Life is short though, and I’ll be in a gt3rs or the c8 z06 at some point as I don’t have high hopes of a reliable R after 3 years tracking.

Sponsored

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing of value other than to say you are different as you say. I would get rid of my Mustang before my Truck and you sound like you need a Truck but have three muscle/sport cars. Get the R if you plan on driving it as designed. Get a newer non R if you plan on driving it as you have been......or Truck. ;)

truck_b5b205f2d1360db3508cccaa66f23c36ade4fafc.jpg

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So, here's my view, for what it's worth: Both the ZR1 and the GT3RS are the "top of the evolutionary tree" for the base vehicle that they're made from - C7 Corvette and 911. The top of the evolutionary tree for the naturally aspirated S550 is the GT350R. So, your decision is already made; your role at this point is to get on with implementing it.

I can't comment on all of the differences in driving experience between the two, but I've installed the GT350R springs, shocks, struts and bars in my GT350, along with a GT350R VDM (suspension controller). I also have carbon ceramic brake rotors that get the unsprung wheel+tire+brake rotor weight down to about the same as the GT350R with CF rims (and no brake dust to speak of, even on a race track). With those changes, the car is a very different drive than the stock GT350. It's tighter, smoother and more controlled than the GT350. I like it a lot. And I still have a back seat and trunk liner and all the other mod cons.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You seem like the exact person the non-R was designed for :)

50K is a ton of cash for some carbon fiber bits you could put on your existing car for less than 10K. Personally, I'd break it down this way:

1. Am I trying to financial justify the difference? This one is easy, you can't. there's no realistic world where this change makes sense financially.

2. Do I have a love affair with the R badge and am willing to dump $50K to get it? Hell, I'm not judging. I've spent my fair share on ruining a perfectly good car for the track. Just trying to keep it honest.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
If you plan to use the car like your current one, my vote is to just keep your 350.
Sponsored