GT350 vs 911 Carrera S Hot Lap in Motortrend Best Driver's Car 2019 Competition

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Wish the 911 was a manual. Also, seems like the new 2019 suspension understeers quite a bit, Randy has been complaining about it since the 2019 refresh. Softer rear springs and a stiffer rear bar IIRC...

I wonder if the pre-refresh GT350 would be quicker on the cup 2 tires.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, not sure what that was all about. I thought the retune was supposed to improve track feel and times. Still impressive, but the Porsche 911 is the top dog right now....
I have the motor trend on demand channel and they did a head to head with the Toyota Supra on track. The 350 beat it by a lot, but the front splitter fell off towards the end of the run and it lost power.. possibly overheating. It was an extremely hot day and the way Randy drives I can understand that though..... As soon as they showed a front shot of the splitter I could see the clips seperating and knew it was not tied down right. :shock:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, not sure what that was all about. I thought the retune was supposed to improve track feel and times. Still impressive, but the Porsche 911 is the top dog right now....
I have the motor trend on demand channel and they did a head to head with the Toyota Supra on track. The 350 beat it by a lot, but the front splitter fell off towards the end of the run and it lost power.. possibly overheating. It was an extremely hot day and the way Randy drives I can understand that though..... As soon as they showed a front shot of the splitter I could see the clips seperating and knew it was not tied down right. :shock:
I'm sure the GT350 overheated BECAUSE the splitter was gone. Without the splitter a lot less air will go through the radiator.

That was an odd test where they didn't even fix the GT350 but they put better tires on the Supra to try to get it to lap faster. I have mixed emotions about it. Ford has the dealers install the GT350 splitter and I had two different dealers mess up the splitter on my 2016. I finally got sick of it and installed the thing myself. So while it bugs me that the test was "unfair" to the Ford, losing the splitter on your GT350 isn't a completely unheard of customer experience.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What I noticed the most was....how motortrend seems to be publishing all of their content back on youtube.

Also, no shame in loosing to the Carrera S. I'm wondering if the R would have bested it.

Next years BDC will be interesting. They should have the 2020 R, the GT500 CFTP and the C8 vette. Epic.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Porsche has the PDK which is world class...and it's more than twice as much.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure the GT350 overheated BECAUSE the splitter was gone. Without the splitter a lot less air will go through the radiator.

That was an odd test where they didn't even fix the GT350 but they put better tires on the Supra to try to get it to lap faster. I have mixed emotions about it. Ford has the dealers install the GT350 splitter and I had two different dealers mess up the splitter on my 2016. I finally got sick of it and installed the thing myself. So while it bugs me that the test was "unfair" to the Ford, losing the splitter on your GT350 isn't a completely unheard of customer experience.
I agree, have heard of several guys on the forum losing their splitter or looking at it after picking up from the dealership and noticing the seperation where it's not even engaged in the clips. Also heard of some instances where they didn't not install all of the screws, hardware.... It's scary some of the tech's out there that dealerships hire.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Porsche has the PDK which is world class...and it's more than twice as much.
Thanks for putting that into perspective Tony... it's pretty impressive performance for a NA/Manual Trans sports car..

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
What I noticed the most was....how motortrend seems to be publishing all of their content back on youtube.

Also, no shame in loosing to the Carrera S. I'm wondering if the R would have bested it.

Next years BDC will be interesting. They should have the 2020 R, the GT500 CFTP and the C8 vette. Epic.
Historical fastest lap for a stock GT350R is 1:36.11 MT Best Driver Car

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Historical fastest lap for a stock GT350R is 1:36.11 MT Best Driver Car
Difficult to judge considering they were run several years apart.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Both cars were considered "new" at the time of the test. The only variable is weather IMO.

Sponsored

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack

Wish the 911 was a manual. Also, seems like the new 2019 suspension understeers quite a bit, Randy has been complaining about it since the 2019 refresh. Softer rear springs and a stiffer rear bar IIRC...

I wonder if the pre-refresh GT350 would be quicker on the cup 2 tires.
Ok, so a POS euro turd that costs over 100k to start is the best drivers car? Please. Try owning one and finding the one Porsche dealer in your state that will then charge you thousands of dollars for the most basic of services. Only an idiot would buy into that bullshit.

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Pretty hilarious splitters are still falling off five years later into 2020... on a Motor trend test car no less. I don't even blame the dealers anymore for the shoddy work. Ford dealers as a whole are by far the worst in business.

It's a corporate Ford problem.
upload_2020-2-3_9-17-16.png

upload_2020-2-3_9-16-50.png

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Ok, so a POS euro turd that costs over 100k to start is the best drivers car? Please. Try owning one and finding the one Porsche dealer in your state that will then charge you thousands of dollars for the most basic of services. Only an idiot would buy into that bullshit.
POS Euro turd that is a world class sports car? Lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Pretty hilarious splitters are still falling off five years later into 2020... on a Motor trend test car no less. I don't even blame the dealers anymore for the shoddy work. Ford dealers as a whole are by far the worst in business.

It's a corporate Ford problem.
There's definitely plenty of room for blame. Ford did produce a very clear instructional video on how to install the splitter, though.

I guess Ford could give dealers "the boot" if they can't follow simple instructions. Or maybe fine them? I'm not sure how you would solve a problem like this. On my splitter the dealer didn't even try to install all the screws. I think the tech just looked at it and assumed half the hardware was spare parts rather than follow instructions.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/chevys-2020-c8-corvette-did-195000773.html

According to the above article, C8 Z51's Nurburgring time has been revealed as 7:29.9 which is faster than the 911 Carrera S (7:30.41). Just FYI ZL1 1LE did it in 7:16.04. We don't have official Nurburgring times for the GT500 or the CFTP due to Ford not going after lap times statement, however, my guess is they tried and GT 500 roasted the tires and wasn't able to put down good lap times. Maybe Ford had bald tires on the GT500's to begin with who knows lol
Sponsored