Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I am by no means an expert, far from it. However, those times in the image tell me any weight savings and power advantage the ZL1 has is moot. It is a drivers race. Tire excuse or any other.

Also not sure how FI would work on an engine spooling around 8,200 RPMs on the 350. Rumor has it that engine is good upwards or beyond 9,000 RPMs and they limited it to 8,200 for noise. Personally I don't think FI is the way to go. It is a crutch.

I'm not saying it is a bad car nor anything else. To me it seems pick your poison. Do you want the fun factor up front from the moment you put your foot on the gas or do you want it beyond 6,500 RPM's. Style and looks are too subjective.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Motor Trend posted the full Head 2 Head comparing the GT350R against the ZL1 6MT (non 1LE). The times Randy Pobst got around Big Willow are below.

The video:
Regardless of your brand of choice, I would say we all win when you have cars on this grid start at less than $50K running within 1.1 seconds of cars that cost over $150K! I hope the performance wars don't stop anytime soon as we all benefit from faster, lighter and more HP per dollar cars.

I for one could probably never push any of these cars to the performance limits of a professional driver. Would I love to own a McLaren or Porshe GT3, absolutely! In the meantime though I am more than happy to drive a GT with over 400hp that cost about the same price as generic 4 door sedan. I can't recall a time you could get this much performance for the price.

All I know is it is a good time to be performance car enthusiast!

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of your brand of choice, I would say we all win when you have cars on this grid start at less than $50K running within 1.1 seconds of cars that cost over $150K! I hope the performance wars don't stop anytime soon as we all benefit from faster, lighter and more HP per dollar cars.

I for one could probably never push any of these cars to the performance limits of a professional driver. Would I love to own a McLaren or Porshe GT3, absolutely! In the meantime though I am more than happy to drive a GT with over 400hp that cost about the same price as generic 4 door sedan. I can't recall a time you could get this much performance for the price.

All I know is it is a good time to be performance car enthusiast!
I wish my GT350 cost that less. ;)

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I wish my GT350 cost that less. ;)
Understood, but X brand has one on here that costs less than that so it was just for the sake of comparison. Would I want a GT350 over X brand, absolutely as I am Ford all the way. But hey, maybe they help keep them from being any higher. Even the GT350 is still half the cost of the top 2 on the list.

And yeah, I just drive a lowly GT PP, but I still have to believe I am getting way more performance for the buck than what was available a few years back due to the competition.

trekkar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
still looking
The SS 1LE which I've have heard on this site could be had for as little as 39k tied the GT350R. I think the best price I seen for one of those was around 80k. Do I have this right?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The SS 1LE which I've have heard on this site could be had for as little as 39k tied the GT350R. I think the best price I seen for one of those was around 80k. Do I have this right?
No.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Now that we see only a 0.39 difference, what was previously discussed should be clear.

The Camaro's Alpha version of the platform is insufficient compared to the S550. Absolutely no debate now, can't possibly explain it any differently. The S550, especially the GT350, has fantastic structural engineering.

The S650 will be all the lightweighting we didn't get in 2015. The areas being light weighted could be nearly identical to the ATS-V and M4. It will not be 200lbs lighter though, maybe there is 100lbs in there for a material swap but not 200.

The GT350 will continue until MY2020 at a minimum. UAW Contract expires Nov 2019 (MY20).

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Now that we see only a 0.39 difference, what was previously discussed should be clear.
Not much difference, considering the horsepower advantage of a 1 liter larger displacement engine thats supercharged. Add 150hp to the R, and lap times easily swing the other way.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS

The Camaro's Alpha version of the platform is insufficient compared to the S550. Absolutely no debate now, can't possibly explain it any differently. The S550, especially the GT350, has fantastic structural engineering.

The S650 will be all the lightweighting we didn't get in 2015. The areas being light weighted could be nearly identical to the ATS-V and M4. It will not be 200lbs lighter though, maybe there is 100lbs in there for a material swap but not 200.

The GT350 will continue until MY2020 at a minimum. UAW Contract expires Nov 2019 (MY20).
Yeah 7:16 at the ring is just terrible. Absolutely inadequate.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I think the best deal out there is the SS 1LE. Especially since coming MY you can get it in the 2SS trim. If someone didn't mind the sight lines in the SS it is clearly the way to go for a value track car and even as a performance DD. Look at that pic. Tied the 350R at half the price from what most go for. it's also at least 20k less than most 350's go for, period.
Sponsored