Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Now we've seen what the ZL1 can do when GM engineers don't make improvements between runs.
They did that with the a10, not the manual. After they fixed the a10, then it lapped faster then the 6m.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They did that with the a10, not the manual. After they fixed the a10, then it lapped faster then the 6m.
So, if you buy a ZL-1 - will GM give you some engineers to help "fix" yours as well?

So the magical margin of error is up to half a second now? I mean, that dang margin of error just keeps growing and growing.
You'll say anything to try to favor the GM product, won't you?

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
So, if you buy a ZL-1 - will GM give you some engineers to help "fix" yours as well?

All it was is tire pressure, real tuff to do.:headbonk:

Just being real. :cheers:

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
What track was the test on? Are the tests done on the same day? Best two out of three, what is the story?

I do not subscribe so can't really see what all the hub bub is about...

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So the magical margin of error is up to half a second now? I mean, that dang margin of error just keeps growing and growing.
Only when it's a Chevy guy telling the tale. A half second is a monumental, insurmountable, gap when talking about the SS straight line margin over the current GT.:shrug: But to be fair. A half second is a but kicking straight line or road course. Just gotta learn you cant have it both ways.:D

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was interesting. Not sure I buy into Randy's "why the ZL1" is slower this time out side bar. I'm not sure if he is blaming the tire, crappy track conditions, or what. Assuming the track app, GPS, or whatever telemetry measurements they are using are accurate, the GT350R manages entry and exit speeds better or so it appears to me.

Also - does the track lend itself to the RPM range of the 350R and the 6500 RPM of the ZL1 fall on its face? Less weight or rims a factor here?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Well if someone tells me that 4 tenths of a second is within the margin of error I think I would say something realistic. 4 tenths is nowhere near the margin of error.

Only when it's a Chevy guy telling the tale. A half second is a monumental, insurmountable, gap when talking about the SS straight line margin over the current GT.:shrug: But to be fair. A half second is a but kicking straight line or road course. Just gotta learn you cant have it both ways.:D
I think on any track that is quite the beating. But I also think a really good driver could turn that around against a decent driver. We are only seeing what the car can do. In the hands of a driver is when you see the real results. I expected the Camaro to win. I think the GT350R did really good for going up against something with a substantial amount more power. And I won't take anything away from either car. But that ZL1 is just pretty amazing and as an enthusiast, I am impressed.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
But that ZL1 is just pretty amazing and as an enthusiast, I am impressed.
Me to. I'd go as far as to call it the best bang for your buck in the industry right now.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It was interesting. Not sure I buy into Randy's "why the ZL1" is slower this time out side bar. I'm not sure if he is blaming the tire, crappy track conditions, or what.
If conditions the second time could only support cornering speeds just 1 mph less than before, that same car would be (roughly) 1 mph slower everywhere. Could be green track, could be tire heat cycles, but 1 mph slower could easily add a second or more depending on the track length and typical average speeds.

Also - does the track lend itself to the RPM range of the 350R and the 6500 RPM of the ZL1 fall on its face? Less weight or rims a factor here?
You'd probably have to find out if transmission gearing and gear spacing favored one car over the other as well. Tire and rim weight could be a contributing factor. But these considerations can't explain the difference in Camaro lap times.

Norm

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If conditions the second time could only support cornering speeds just 1 mph less than before, that same car would be (roughly) 1 mph slower everywhere. Could be green track, could be tire heat cycles, but 1 mph slower could easily add a second or more depending on the track length and typical average speeds.

You'd probably have to find out if transmission gearing and gear spacing favored one car over the other as well. Tire and rim weight could be a contributing factor. But these considerations can't explain the difference in Camaro lap times.

Norm
Thank you Norm.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It was interesting. Not sure I buy into Randy's "why the ZL1" is slower this time out side bar. I'm not sure if he is blaming the tire, crappy track conditions, or what. Assuming the track app, GPS, or whatever telemetry measurements they are using are accurate, the GT350R manages entry and exit speeds better or so it appears to me.

Lol

You not buying it doesn't make it less true.

AllbRandy did was give meat to the common knowledge that different days and different conditions on the same track can make a world of difference.

Interestingly, this means the GT350 could actually perform better as well.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Did the GT350R have the Tech Pack? I haven't watched the video, but that's probably what Ford sent them. If thats the case, the only thing separating the GT350R and the ZL1 is a backseat.
Don't forget the supercharger while you're at it, mkay?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Don't forget the supercharger while you're at it, mkay?
Anddon't forget the AC (standard on the ZL1). And the radio (standard on the ZL1). Heated/cooled seats (standard on the ZL1). Heated steering wheel (standard on the ZL1). Wireless charging system (standard on the ZL1). WIFI (standard on the ZL1)...

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Anddon't forget the AC (standard on the ZL1). And the radio (standard on the ZL1). Heated/cooled seats (standard on the ZL1). Heated steering wheel (standard on the ZL1). Wireless charging system (standard on the ZL1). WIFI (standard on the ZL1)...
which contributes very little negatively compared to the complete game changer a supercharger is.

Let's keep it real.
Sponsored