Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
So, the Mustang kicked the ZL-1's butt in the Motor Trend comparison. Surprising that with so much extra torque and HP, the Camaro couldn't do better in handling.
i read somewhere else where someone mentioned the same thing. Is the video online for the general public yet?

i only found this

[ame]
Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
So, the Mustang kicked the ZL-1's butt in the Motor Trend comparison. Surprising that with so much extra torque and HP, the Camaro couldn't do better in handling.
I haven't seen the video, but from what I read elsewhere the ZL1 was faster in both road course and quarter mile. Not sure how that's a butt kicking.

If they chose the 350R due to intangibles like feel and specialness of the motor then I get that. For example my E92 M3 always felt more special than my 14 1LE regardless of it being slower.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I haven't seen the video, but from what I read elsewhere the ZL1 was faster in both road course and quarter mile. Not sure how that's a butt kicking.

If they chose the 350R due to intangibles like feel and specialness of the motor then I get that. For example my E92 M3 always felt more special than my 14 1LE regardless of it being slower.
Maybe it is opposite's day or something...

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems like a lot of anger and upset going on because the Camaro won. Why can't it be that the ZL1 is just a better performing car than the GT350? Everyone was ok when the GT350 was better than the 5th Gen ZL1 and 5th Gen Z28, and the 6th Gen SS. It was fair back then. Now it gets bested and it isn't fair and all the excuses fly. "Oh the ZL1 is supercharged", "Oh it isn't a fair comparison", "Oh at least the GT350 is much cheaper"...but when it beat the older stuff it was "Oh the GT350 performs better AND the ZL1 is supercharged", or "Oh the GT350 is better and it is only X amount more expensive than the SS", lol!! You can't have it both ways. It's like the guy who wants to race but always seems to have something wrong with his car before every race. So if he loses he won't look bad but if he wins he'll look that much better. Get over it. The GT350 is the best Mustang available right now. But it isn't the best Pony Car right now. In straight lines, the Mustang is third when comparing all the Pony Cars...4th if you throw the Charger in the mix. In handling it is second. In sales it is first. You can't be the best at everything. Someone has to lose at something.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It seems like a lot of anger and upset going on because the Camaro won.
The Camaro lost. It was only 0.39 second faster than the GT350R around Big Willow. Couldn't put the extra power to the ground? Isn't that great in corners/transitions? I'm not sure why it is, but I do understand that the Voodoo is a special engine and Ford did a great job with the GT350.
:ford:

I know I expected all that extra power to do more. I'm sure the Camaro is faster in a straight line - if that's what you're into.

Sponsored

ISHLISS

Chevy & Ford Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro LT1
Previous motortrend testing had the ZL1 run a 126.16, wonder why it was so much slower in this testing. Crazy thing is the 350R ran the Exact same time as the SS 1LE.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
In his mind it is a loss because it only bested the gt350r with 0.39 seconds,and the camaro had so much power and torque over the gt350r. We are not even including how much actually do you spend to buy a gt350r or zl1 including taxes and destination charge! Ohh and he owns a gt350 so that explains alot.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Previous motortrend testing had the ZL1 run a 126.16, wonder why it was so much slower in this testing. Crazy thing is the 350R ran the Exact same time as the SS 1LE.
Tests run on different days are constantly compared, but this shows you how much conditions can impact lap time.

In his mind it is a loss because it only bested the gt350r with 0.39 seconds,and the camaro had so much power and torque over the gt350r. We are not even including how much actually do you spend to buy a gt350r or zl1 including taxes and destination charge! Ohh and he owns a gt350 so that explains alot.
I realize the Camaro fan boys are going to say a win is a win, but the comparison is between the two cars, not just comparing a lap time, but comparing other things as well.

People are feeling really hurt that the Camaro isn't a lot faster than the Mustang, even with all that additional power. :lol:

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Tests run on different days are constantly compared, but this shows you how much conditions can impact lap time.

I realize the Camaro fan boys are going to say a win is a win, but the comparison is between the two cars, not just comparing a lap time, but comparing other things as well.

People are feeling really hurt that the Camaro isn't a lot faster than the Mustang, even with all that additional power. :lol:
I was one of those that thought the Camaro was going to be faster by a wide margin on the track.

While I would say it depends on the track, the ZL1 should post a better lap time. It has a serious power advantage.

The only way I see the GT350R winning this head to head is if they say it "feels better" Stuff like turn in, grip, driver confidence etc. But as far as lap times go, the ZL1 should take that.
But I did say the 350R would win if it "felt better"

Someone else mentioned the 350R had the same time as the SS 1LE. If so that is impressive for the 1LE, but that also means the SS 1LE is right on the heels of the ZL1?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I don't think there was anyone with hurt feelings. If it were the other way around then Ford fanboys would be saying a win is a win and the Chevy fanboys would be saying exactly what you're saying. It might have been a small margin at this particular track, but on other tracks like Nurburgring, the margin is much wider. And by your logic, if the GT350R is better despite it's loss, then how many cars has the GT350R beat by a small margin that we could say the same thing. I mean in the quarter mile, the 1SS does the same time as the GT350 and is only about 1-2 tenths slower than the GT350R despite the HUGE price gap. So is the GT350 and GT350R technically inferior. I mean, if you can compare 1 track and 1 race between the ZL1 and GT350R and say that a small margin win means the GT350R is better, then you can do the same and say the 1SS is better than the GT350R...right? See to me that is ricer math when you lose but try to work the numbers so your loss doesn't sting as much. You can compare all the things you want. But what really counts is who wins the race and if you want the faster car then you want the ZL1.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was one of those that thought the Camaro was going to be faster by a wide margin on the track.

But I did say the 350R would win if it "felt better"

Someone else mentioned the 350R had the same time as the SS 1LE. If so that is impressive for the 1LE, but that also means the SS 1LE is right on the heels of the ZL1?
The SS 1LE is supposed to be up there with the GT350. The ZL1 is supposed to beat the GT350R. And both cars have done what they were created to do. And now you have the ZL1 1LE coming out. I don't think the SS1LE or the GT350 is as close to the ZL1 as you think. As far as the GT350R, I think on other tracks the ZL1 is really beating it by quite a bit. Some tracks the margin won't be as bad. Which is why I think certain tests will use certain tracks and certain fanboys will use results from certain tracks instead of others. The GT350 and GT350R in their own rights are very respectable and impressive. But the ZL1 IS a better performing car.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
The SS 1LE is supposed to be up there with the GT350. The ZL1 is supposed to beat the GT350R. And both cars have done what they were created to do. And now you have the ZL1 1LE coming out. I don't think the SS1LE or the GT350 is as close to the ZL1 as you think. As far as the GT350R, I think on other tracks the ZL1 is really beating it by quite a bit. Some tracks the margin won't be as bad. Which is why I think certain tests will use certain tracks and certain fanboys will use results from certain tracks instead of others. The GT350 and GT350R in their own rights are very respectable and impressive. But the ZL1 IS a better performing car.

Not disagreeing with that at all. I know the same day same driver makes a big difference. So we can only take these results on this track with a grain of salt. On a more open track, I would fully expect that that extra power with the ZL1 to really shine and put some distance between them.