Sponsored

GT350 US curb weight, is it with or without driver?

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Why would anyone include a driver weight in their stated weight unless required by law?
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Last edited:

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
That's actually not true. My fully loaded Gt PP premium with Recaros weighed 3748 bone stock with only a quarter tank of gas. The recaros save about twenty pounds over the heated and cooled power seats, and add at least another 65 pounds for the 3/4 tank of gas. That brings a fully loaded Gt without recaros, and a full tank to about 3,833 lbs.

a fully loaded Gt vert is probably pushing 4,000 lbs.

Gt350 Recaros are lighter than the GT Recaros. Those tech seats are easily over 20lbs heavier than the recaros each. Add the "junk" in the trunk that was taken out and sync and it's going to be over 3,833.

I was just comparing coupes, convertibles would be heavier for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
b/c BMW USA weight includes driver, simple as that
DIN weight (used in Europe) is without driver, 90% fuel and fluid
No, they do not, I'm not sure where you got this information, but its incorrect

US curb weights are defined by the certain government entities, not BMW. All published US curbweights are WITHOUT driver, 100% fluids, and some options depending on how the car is sold.

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Gt350 Recaros are lighter than the GT Recaros. Those tech seats are easily over 20lbs heavier than the recaros each. Add the "junk" in the trunk that was taken out and sync and it's going to be over 3,833.

I was just comparing coupes, convertibles would be heavier for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to Ford the tech pack is only 9 pounds heavier than the track pack.

Don't forget the track pack has two extra coolers, and two pumps for those coolers, and a bigger spoiler.

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
that's the thing, bmwusa.com uses EU weight + 10% more fluid, plus whatever options that have more than 33% take rate.
the Eu weight includes 75kg driver, where as Ford listed the weight without driver.

anyways, now I kinda understand why, after the 1/4mile time got published, people on this forum went nuts claiming it was too slow. no wonder the gt350 (which I have) manual vs. manual can't pull away from m4 in the 1/4. with 100hp more power but at least 400lb+ diff. that's why.
First off, M4 makes more than the rated power in normal use. Second, it has more area under the curve than a non-turbo motor. AKA see why a 300hp EVO is faster in a straight line than you would expect comparing it to say a 300hp non-turbo V6 car of the same wieght. Last gearing matters. The GT350 has about as perfectly wrong gearing for a dragstrip as you can get without going full early USDM early STi retarded. GT350 would be faster with 3.11's or 4.10's (or deeper). Right now it gets an extra shift in to every magazine metric without using that gear long enough to cover up the time lost shifting. 3.11's would be fun to launch correctly, but would remove a shift out of the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. 4.10 gears would let you finish the 1/4 near the top of 4th which would now be good to 127mph with GT350R diameter tires.

Atleast the GT350 has decently spaced gears. The USDM STi in 04 had a box with a granny 1st, too tall 2nd, 2-3-4 too close together and a giant gap to 5th and 6th. What works on a 8K rpm 2L with modest midrange doesn't work well on a 2.5L with a fat powerband and no reason to go above 6,500 other than to say you are shifting at redline. Swapping final drives is a snap compared to sorting out bizzaro gear spacing.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
source 1:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...&id=T0159784EN

"BMW M4 Coupe, for example, has a DIN kerb weight of 1,497 kilograms, thanks to the rigorous application of intelligent lightweight design measures. "

source 2:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/M/m4-coupe/2014/technical-data.html

EU weight of 1572kg for manual

the difference between DIN and EU is exactly 75kg, which is the weight of the driver defined in the first post.

source 3:

http://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/M/m4coupe/2014/start.html

clearly listed DIN weight of 1500kg which is without driver

No, they do not, I'm not sure where you got this information, but its incorrect

US curb weights are defined by the certain government entities, not BMW. All published US curbweights are WITHOUT driver, 100% fluids, and some options depending on how the car is sold.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
thank you, man. i was gonna say that. tech pack has two extra coolers + fluid + pumps + control wiring, surely that is 30lbs easy, yet it still weights less than tech.

@Myshelby3425: every single non-performance creative comfort adds weight, and tons of weight.

According to Ford the tech pack is only 9 pounds heavier than the track pack.

Don't forget the track pack has two extra coolers, and two pumps for those coolers, and a bigger spoiler.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
DIN WEIGHTS DO NO MATTER IN THE USA. How many times do I have to repeat it? Please forget about wat a DIN/EU car weights, period. Different standard, different car entirely due to emissions and US safety regulations

How are you going to ignore all of the posts that clearly show what it really weights, you know, a US car, on scales? Its not a 3300lb car, not anywhere near it, at least not int he US.

Please read the section on how US curb weight is defined. If BMW wants to sell cars in the USA, they have to list the cars weight as it would sit on the curb, here in the USA. Pretty simple concept really. No driver, full fluids.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15066497&postcount=49

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
dude, m4 in Germany is the same as m4 in USA, there is no diff in terms of safety equipment base for base, please understand that. it still has the same 4 18'' wheels, same engine, same exhaust and same cabin.

1497kg for a Germany DIN M4 is exactly the base = 1497kg USA base.

I will repeat one more time, BMWUSA.COM's curb weight includes 75kg driver and the equipment of what more than 33% of the people would order.

if you want car weight without driver, your only option is DIN weight. which can only be found on the European site.

DIN WEIGHTS DO NO MATTER IN THE USA. How many times do I have to repeat it? Please forget about wat a DIN/EU car weights, period. Different standard, different car entirely due to emissions and US safety regulations

How are you going to ignore all of the posts that clearly show what it really weights, you know, a US car, on scales? Its not a 3300lb car, not anywhere near it, at least not int he US.

Please read the section on how US curb weight is defined. If BMW wants to sell cars in the USA, they have to list the cars weight as it would sit on the curb, here in the USA. Pretty simple concept really. No driver, full fluids.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15066497&postcount=49

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Please show me the footnote on BMWusa.com where it explicitly states that? And why would they add more listed weight than required by numerous US regulations. And lastly, please explain to me how a stripper m3 with all trunk junk removed and 1/5 a tank of gas weights 3450lbs without a driver. Which puts it right inline with the listed 3540 if had has a full tank and came factory fresh? Where is this mystery 165lbs added in?

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Look at the photo of the car on the scale, man. What more proof do you need?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Okay on the M4 subject...

Guy I know recently traded his E92 sedan in for an M4, got cornered and weighed and it came out to 3535 or something like that. It was pretty optioned out.

And on the 3802 GT350 curb weight... (forget the price and age gaps for a moment, it's irreverent to real world feel, character, and handling)
The SLS AMG Black weighs well into the high 3700's and no one's complaining.

The GTR weighs 3820 PLUS and no one's complaining.

Z/28 is 3860. No one's complaining about that one.

Speaking of GM...did you guys know that the Z06 in the trim you'd actually BUY one, not just what you read on the forums about but actually BUY (Most likely 2LT trim with the Stage 2 Z07 pack) weighs in at 3530? Consider the last Z06/Z07 Carbon trimmed C6 was sub 3200.

The E92 M3 coupe trim with the Performance Pack and dual clutch trans weighs over 3700. No one complained there.

Now...
370Z, 3300'ish. Handles like a 12 pack loaded morning hangover piss. It's begging for coilovers. But once it has em, it's a charm.

Mark 4 Supra...mid 3400's. Have any of you ever actually DRIVEN one of those? No, not mashed the gas in a straight like, actually DROVE the bitch? It is horrible. Just awful. Without Fast and the Furious, honestly no one would care. Yes it's a robust machine but for it to handle, you need to empty your wallet.

Last Civic SI, sub 3000. Junk. Embarrassing considering its predecessor. The previous car was a huge giggle.

Point is, weight is only part of the dynamics. It is obviously very important, BUT vehicle control, balance, and stability will trump poorly set up cars with less weight every time. Case in point? GTR all day. It's a pig. Don't let the internet fool you.

Oh and about the M4? It acts more like a muscle car that muscle cars do now. It's all low end torque with that TT inline 6. It's a fine piece of machinery.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
dude, no one on bimmerpost had weighted a barebone mt6 m4 yet, every car is loaded with packages after packages leather after leather LED after LED. and even with that many packages it only weights in 35xx.

BMW says DIN is 1497kg for barebone and I believe it.

Look at the photo of the car on the scale, man. What more proof do you need?
Sponsored