Sponsored

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
Anyone know how the GT350 track pack oil, transmission and differential coolers will operate? Looks like the only things the technology pack does not have and the track pack does are these coolers and the strut tower brace. I wonder if the coolers will really be needed for HPDE events?
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
They are typically small mini-radiators placed at strategic locations throughout the underbody. Given that the track is so much more harsh than the street on brakes and cooling, and that I want something that is designed to hold up in such conditions, I will be getting the track pack. Impossible to know for sure how necessary it all is, since the GT seems to do OK, but of course the GT350 will be making probably ~90 more HP and will need to dissipate about 180 HP more (assuming 33% efficiency). That's over 130 kW to dissipate.

I've been following the C7 Vette closely, and a big reason I'm going with the GT350 is because I believe Ford has done a better job making the car robust in terms of braking and cooling. But, I often track in the middle of CA summer where ambient is over 100 F. I really don't want to be forced to throw in an easy lap in the middle of a session just to keep temps in check.

-T

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
If I recall, the Leguna Seca axle cooler put an oil to air heat exchanger in the front of the car somewhere and pumped the axle lube through the circuit. I'm betting Ford continued with this design on the new car. The trouble with this model is that axle lubricant is circulated by splash - the ring gear slings it around, and the spray and mist get into everything. It drains back to the bottom when stopped, then gets flung around again when moving. That makes it a challenge to consistently get picked up by the pump to circulate to the exchanger. OTOH, it means that there has to be more lube in the system as a whole, and that's not a bad thing.

This is unlike the diff cooler on, say, the Z/28, which puts an oil/oil cooler in the axle itself and circulates ATF that's coming out of the trans cooler through the axle cooler. The coolant (ATF) doesn't impact the volume or flow of the lube in the axle, and it has the side effect of actually bringing lube up to temp quicker.

OP
OP
TRACK CRAZY GT350

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
They are typically small mini-radiators placed at strategic locations throughout the underbody. Given that the track is so much more harsh than the street on brakes and cooling, and that I want something that is designed to hold up in such conditions, I will be getting the track pack. Impossible to know for sure how necessary it all is, since the GT seems to do OK, but of course the GT350 will be making probably ~90 more HP and will need to dissipate about 180 HP more (assuming 33% efficiency). That's over 130 kW to dissipate.

I've been following the C7 Vette closely, and a big reason I'm going with the GT350 is because I believe Ford has done a better job making the car robust in terms of braking and cooling. But, I often track in the middle of CA summer where ambient is over 100 F. I really don't want to be forced to throw in an easy lap in the middle of a session just to keep temps in check.

-T
So I am still undecided about getting the Technology Pack or the Track Pack as you can not get both. I guess as you stated the coolers would be nice to have with the extra HP of the GT350 but then you give up the benefits of the Tech Pack.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
So I am still undecided about getting the Technology Pack or the Track Pack as you can not get both. I guess as you stated the coolers would be nice to have with the extra HP of the GT350 but then you give up the benefits of the Tech Pack.
There's still the possibility that the available options will be changed from that draft.

Sponsored

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
I don't see what the problem would be with having both. I think the option's list at this point is incomplete. We will have to wait a little longer to see what's really going to be available. :shrug:

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If you can choose only one, Id go with tech. Usually OEM cooling systems are good, but the aftermarket almost always comes out later with better cooling, for a cheaper rate

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
I don't see what the problem would be with having both. I think the option's list at this point is incomplete. We will have to wait a little longer to see what's really going to be available. :shrug:
That's what I'm thinking...It would not be difficult to have both the Tech and the Track pack equipped on the car. If it nets them a higher ticket sale.... why wouldn't FoMoCo offer it?

TheRican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Wheels
Probably cant meet some kind of performance metric with both

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Not a Mustang
Its an easy decision for me. I would only want the Track Pack. I don't want the Electronic package either.
Sponsored

Last edited: