Sponsored

GT350 track build - should I start with a brand new GT350?

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I am looking at buying a GT350 for a dedicated track build for time trials.
I would be gutting most of the interior, caging it, adding proper race seats, seam welding it, adding Cortex Coilovers, BMR suspension mods, Forgelines, AP Racing brakes front and rear, etc....so quite a serious build.

I am thinking of buying a brand new '20 GT350 Heritage Edition as a base as here in Canada I can't find any used 19+ GT350s. When I was buying my Raptor, I could have bought a '20 Kona Blue GT350 but I passed on it because it had delivery damage. I kinda wish I bought it now. The new GT350 I am looking at is one of the last and only for sale. The other alternative is buying a used one but I am concerned of the unknown service history and I wanted the improved engine. Should I go new or used? Either way, this car will have 100% track use. Option C would be to do the same build but to my 2015 Mustang GT, which already has most of the mods I'd do to the GT350
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I've seen base models on ebay for not a lot of money. In my humble opinion, I wouldn't buy an HEP to gut and tear apart. Buy a nice used R and work from there.

On another note, I wouldnt pass up an HEP R if you can swing it, they are nice.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ooh, I can definitely help here. (2) main thoughts

1). I would not recommend a new one. These things cost way too much for that and there's just no major benfit to going new now that are plenty of new ones available. You'll be throwing $20K+ away for no damn reason. Buy a used one with over 10k mileage and start with that.

2). If you build a GT350 track car, be prepared for a full motor re-build. It might not happen, but the chances are high enough that I would recommend planning for it. If you're under warranty, Ford will give you trouble with a built "track car." I know a few guys who have had issues - some got it approved and others shafted. So I'd at least plan on it.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
Definitely buy a used GT 350 unless cost is not a consideration.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
at that level of modding does it make sense to just buy a fp350s? may cost a bit more up front but will hold more value as a used race car too I would think.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Just curious, why not stick with your 2015 GT? For time trials will you be in the same class with the GT350 as you would be with the GT?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
at that level of modding does it make sense to just buy a fp350s? may cost a bit more up front but will hold more value as a used race car too I would think.
This because you will have this much into the build. Another possibilty is contact KOHR racing, They usually have a car in stock to sell and IMHO no one makes a faster car (I did own one)

OP
OP
L8APEX

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Just curious, why not stick with your 2015 GT? For time trials will you be in the same class with the GT350 as you would be with the GT?
I really like how my Mustang GT is on the street but I don't want to cage it and gut it and go full blown with it. If I am going to track as often as I have(20+ events so far), I want more safety and I want a fresh start.

OP
OP
L8APEX

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
This because you will have this much into the build. Another possibilty is contact KOHR racing, They usually have a car in stock to sell and IMHO no one makes a faster car (I did own one)
That is actually a good idea. I see a FP350S on racing junk but they want a bit too much considering the msrp. I'd also prefer a street legal car, which is a requierment for the rules

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

They’re overpriced for the quality of parts you’re getting. Motors aren’t really anymore robust, weight is meh, dampers are meh, etc. the reality is that they’re just not that competitive. They’re too big and heavy to keep up with a lot in their class, so you have to continue modding them to make them faster. They’re an awesome dedicated HPDE car, tho.

You can do quite a bit more with your own $$ either cheaper or better.

Edit: there's a gent here in TX with one and we run together every once in a while. HB easily keeps up with his car and I am still running the OEM dampers and I was on cup2s. We had a chat one day and told me he was pretty frustrated with it for club racing - was getting his ass kicked by the Porsches because of the damn PDKs :)

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If you watched Speedphenom’s latest vid driving his 350R at Buttonwillow Raceway, I can see why many would rather have a 350 than a GT for a track car. Just watch how long he leaves the R in 3rd gear...

Sponsored