Sponsored

GT350 to Mach 1 - Thoughts?

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks for all the responses thus far. A lot to take into consideration.

Indeed I have the extended warranty, via Ford ESP, until 2025. I actually like the simplistic gauges in the GT350. Mach 1 digital dash would be cool - but I like how my oil pressure and temp are on the center stack. Rev matching would be nice though. I read the 2019+ Gen 2 changes but I still see failures mentioned on those motors. I wonder how much more stout it is.

5.2 liters of democracy, 6 or so track events per year. I WFH but tend to find myself taking it out daily as well, but always weekend cruise. I'm not shy with revving it out. Curious to hear your story. Were you on track? Warranty? etc.
I too had a 2017 GT350. Ford bought it back because of air conditioning issues. Now I daily drive a 2022 Mach 1. As others have said, it's subjective. I like the Mach 1 more than my Shelby, for various (subjective) reasons.

The electronic display is better in the Mach. I have oil pressure and vacuum gauges in the center, but you can add three more gauges of your choice to the digital display.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Once you get over 2K on the Tremec, you’ll never let it go. This is one of those cars you just get really attached to once you’ve broken in.
I actually prefer the MT82 for street driving. I don't like having one shift to the speed limit.

That Vodoo engine is amazing, but it's a Single Plane.. It was never designed for higher mileage. It has to be accepted that if you own it, it's going to require rebuilds.. It is a racing engine. How many super cars(single plane crank) do you see actually hit 100,000 miles?
That's a lot of assumptions you are making there. There are Voodoos with an awful lot of miles on them already and still running fine.

And it's not a racing engine. Not even close. Sure it can be used for racing, but that's an entirely different application. Lots of people race with all generations of Coyotes as well. I drove mine all the time even in below zero weather. I drove it in bumper to bumper traffic in 90+ degree weather commuting to work. The biggest flaw was lack of cooling in my tech pack car.

That's... a hot take. Especially when replying to someone who is having their entire motor replaced.
There are definitely production issues with some Voodoos. The early ones had ring issues and some later ones had valve problems. There were also assembly issues with the chain tensioners.

Ford replaces the entire motor. That's how they do it. Any issue no matter how small anywhere inside the engine, they replace it all. I have to admit I let the negativity get to me and that's part of why I sold my GT350. They definitely aren't perfect and they also aren't for everyone, but I loved mine and regret selling it.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
That’s a pretty balanced view @Hack. A fella could get banned for that. Be careful. :crackup:

Last edited:

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I actually prefer the MT82 for street driving. I don't like having one shift to the speed limit.

That's a lot of assumptions you are making there. There are Voodoos with an awful lot of miles on them already and still running fine.

And it's not a racing engine. Not even close. Sure it can be used for racing, but that's an entirely different application. Lots of people race with all generations of Coyotes as well. I drove mine all the time even in below zero weather. I drove it in bumper to bumper traffic in 90+ degree weather commuting to work. The biggest flaw was lack of cooling in my tech pack car.

There are definitely production issues with some Voodoos. The early ones had ring issues and some later ones had valve problems. There were also assembly issues with the chain tensioners.

Ford replaces the entire motor. That's how they do it. Any issue no matter how small anywhere inside the engine, they replace it all. I have to admit I let the negativity get to me and that's part of why I sold my GT350. They definitely aren't perfect and they also aren't for everyone, but I loved mine and regret selling it.
T

Someone mentioned better resale value but not sure if that would apply to a non number matching car since the engine replaced so I would take that out of the equation unless someone can speak to that.
Either way both cars are awesome!

Sponsored

CorralesR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R HR067
Interesting thread. I was just thinking about letting my 17 R model go. I just dont drive it. I would much rather have a car I can jump in and drive across the country and not worry about the engine, the wheels getting damaged or stolen, etc. Also the seats are really uncomfortable. It's hard as hell for me to get out of it too. Probably should have gotten a Mach. I think I would enjoy driving something and not worrying about putting miles on it, getting rock chips etc.
The Shelby is a fantastic car that handles and stops like nothing else I've owned. It's just not the right car for me.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Interesting thread. I was just thinking about letting my 17 R model go. I just dont drive it. I would much rather have a car I can jump in and drive across the country and not worry about the engine, the wheels getting damaged or stolen, etc. Also the seats are really uncomfortable. It's hard as hell for me to get out of it too. Probably should have gotten a Mach. I think I would enjoy driving something and not worrying about putting miles on it, getting rock chips etc.
The Shelby is a fantastic car that handles and stops like nothing else I've owned. It's just not the right car for me.
I worry about rock chips everyday. Because of the color, I likely wouldn’t be able to replace my car.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
I wanted a GT-350 so bad I could taste it! Visually they are as stunning as my lil sisters 66 GT-350!!!!

I test drove at least 2 17's and a 19..... Recaros just not for me.... and the clutch feel felt like a Jetta. The Voodoo sung amazingly at high rpms ! As I was leaving the dealership after test driving one a customer was taking delivery od a Race Red 22 MACh1. It caught my eye......stepped outside and watched the couple drive away. I chuckled cause they were older and obviously not used to driving a 6spd. I asked about price and availability and was told all allotments were sold.

6 months later that MACh1 showed up used for sale at the local Audi dealership, so I stopped in and drove it. It was a non HP car with 800 miles on it. Instantly felt the difference in powerband and clutch. The seats were heated and cooled and felt great! If they weren't asking $10K over sticker I would have bought it! I went home and found the MACh1 I currently own for $7K cheaper and 3 days later I was on my way to Michigan to pick it up!
My choice was my choice.....YMMV! Both are insanely nice rides!

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I would much rather have a car I can jump in and drive across the country and not worry about the engine, the wheels getting damaged or stolen, etc.
oh man, at some point ya gotta let go and say “it’s just a car”…

I have driven mine to Houston, Phoenix, Wichita, Denver, Salt Lake, Albuquerque, Sacramento, Medford, San Diego, Texarkana, El Paso, Thermal, then to just about every airport in LA and my warranty ran out 6 months after I bought her!

a couple times a year I even drive Dallas to LA (when the airlines jam up the schedule) sleep in the drivers seat somewhere around Albuquerque and finish up on day two 😬

….put that beauty to work 😉

Last edited:

CorralesR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R HR067
oh man, at some point ya gotta let go and say “it’s just a car”…

I have driven mine to Houston, Phoenix, Wichita, Denver, Salt Lake, Albuquerque, Sacramento, Medford, San Diego, Texarkana, El Paso, Thermal, then to just about every airport in LA and my warranty ran out 6 months after I bought her!

a couple times a year I even drive Dallas to LA (when the airlines jam up the schedule) sleep in the drivers seat somewhere around Albuquerque and finish up on day two 😬

….put that beauty to work 😉
Wow! That's impressive! Just curious, how many miles are on your car now? Any issues with it?
I wish I could just "let go" and drive it.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Wonder if anyone will post about the opposite, getting rid of a Mach 1 to get a GT350.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Wonder if anyone will post about the opposite, getting rid of a Mach 1 to get a GT350.
Certain it’s already happened. Small gripe- It would have been a nice touch to give us magnaride and exhaust mode toggles without having to dig in the menu. The GT350 is still the best looking S550 Mustang. Having said that, I can’t imagine any Mustang performance metric that wouldn’t be satisfied with the Mach 1. It may not be a Shelby, but I believe it still will take its place as one of the best Mustangs ever made.

Last edited:

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
The M1 HP is a GT350R with a 5.0. If you want the sound of the Voodoo, get the GT350. If you want to tell people you own a “Shelby”, get a GT350.

Personally, I prefer the more muscle tone of the M1 5.0, and the 5.0 is a tried and proven engine. I also prefer the looks of the M1 HP, it has that modern American muscle car look (the stance reminds of a ZL1 1LE).

Ugh, if only GM made an N/A ZL1 1LE.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Mach1 might be more reliable. The Voodoo is an innovative engine with problems because of the flat plane crank. The coyote has been around much longer and is in more vehicles.
The gt350 stuff is also more expensive.

I think you should drive a match 1 and make a decision based off of that. I would personally choose the gt350 but I've only driven one in a parking lot and haven't driven a mach1. I like the voodoo engine.
Sponsored