Sponsored

GT350 referenced on C&D article about Cayman GT4

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Both cars are amazing, and very different in feel from eachother. I haven't driven a GT4, but I have been in a Cayman S and the size difference alone is very noticeable. The GT350 is a big car. It shrinks around you as you drive, but is still much larger and heavier than the GT4. i like that with the GT350 I can fit my kids in the car and it has a very large trunk, and I like that it feels smaller as you go faster, but the GT4 will feel smaller still. Of course some people will prefer that and others may not.

I personally love the idea of a GT4, but not thrilled with the front suspension tower issue or the excessively tall gearing on the stick shift version. Nor the high price. But, they don't drop much in value so you may not lose a ton if you get one new. And then there's always the used route, where the buy-in is still expensive but the value is even more stable.

I personally would almost rather go even smaller and lighter (and cheaper), and get a Miata to go along with the GT350. The Miata will be a car you can wring out on a country road while staying at a relatively sane speed. Or an Ariel Atom, but that really becomes a toy.

-T
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Both cars are amazing, and very different in feel from eachother. I haven't driven a GT4, but I have been in a Cayman S and the size difference alone is very noticeable. The GT350 is a big car. It shrinks around you as you drive, but is still much larger and heavier than the GT4. i like that with the GT350 I can fit my kids in the car and it has a very large trunk, and I like that it feels smaller as you go faster, but the GT4 will feel smaller still. Of course some people will prefer that and others may not.

I personally love the idea of a GT4, but not thrilled with the front suspension tower issue or the excessively tall gearing on the stick shift version. Nor the high price. But, they don't drop much in value so you may not lose a ton if you get one new. And then there's always the used route, where the buy-in is still expensive but the value is even more stable.

I personally would almost rather go even smaller and lighter (and cheaper), and get a Miata to go along with the GT350. The Miata will be a car you can wring out on a country road while staying at a relatively sane speed. Or an Ariel Atom, but that really becomes a toy.

-T
I agree It's one of the things I could feel between my GT and the 350.. the GT felt large all the time, but the 350 seems smaller as you drive. I actually met a guy who is an instructor who teaches at Road America using Miata's
He encouraged me to take the 2-day driving school with the Miata and leave my shelby at home. He said it's the perfect car to learn with and I won't be wearing my own clutch out.. LOL>..

TorqueAholic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2000 Mustang GT, 2019 Edge ST
Being lighter, the Porsche might be a tad quicker running around a parking lot on an autocross track. But on a real man's track like Road Atlanta it would take be about 5 car lengths for the 112 hp / 112 lb/ft short Porsche to become a spec in the GT350's rearview mirror out of turn 7. In fact, the GT350 would most likely blow past the little 6 cylinder car out of turn 5 then make the P-car disappear completely about half way down the back straight. Fact of life.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Being lighter, the Porsche might be a tad quicker running around a parking lot on an autocross track. But on a real man's track like Road Atlanta it would take be about 5 car lengths for the 112 hp / 112 lb/ft short Porsche to become a spec in the GT350's rearview mirror out of turn 7. In fact, the GT350 would most likely blow past the little 6 cylinder car out of turn 5 then make the P-car disappear completely about half way down the back straight. Fact of life.
Interesting "facts" lol

Did you know that at VIR (per car and driver's lightning laps), the gt4 was 1.5 seconds faster than a 350R. Or is there a world where road atlanta is more of a man's track than VIR?

I think the two cars are very evenly matched on any track. I think they were within 10ths of each other on the ring.

TorqueAholic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Interesting "facts" lol

Did you know that at VIR (per car and driver's lightning laps), the gt4 was 1.5 seconds faster than a 350R. Or is there a world where road atlanta is more of a man's track than VIR?

I think the two cars are very evenly matched on any track. I think they were within 10ths of each other on the ring.
RA is a flowing / horsepower track. The 350R they tested was several years ago, there has been many revisions on the suspension, steering, engine, etc. I personally have driven several hundred laps at Road Atlanta, even if it's lighter, a car that's 100 hp and 100 ft /lb short will lose out of both T5 and T7. (T7 being the most important corner since it leads to the longest straight). For sure.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
RA is a flowing / horsepower track. The 350R they tested was several years ago, there has been many revisions on the suspension, steering, engine, etc. I personally have driven several hundred laps at Road Atlanta, even if it's lighter, a car that's 100 hp and 100 ft /lb short will lose out of both T5 and T7. (T7 being the most important corner since it leads to the longest straight). For sure.
what's your best lap time at RA?

TorqueAholic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
My Best lap is not established in the GT350 yet. I would expect low - mid 1:30's on the factory Cup 2's, Definitely low 1:30's or even better on Hoosiers.

TorqueAholic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
And yes, ask any pro driver which track is more challenging and 'Manlier' between RA and VIR, they'll say RA every time. I have driven VIR, and all other tracks in the Southeast and RA is definitely the "Manliest"

Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
a bit lighter clubsport on slicks runs 128's...
145mph into 10a seems pretty "manly" to me - doesn't exactly speak to a lack of power :) 153mph into 10a for the other vid even less so...

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
wierd to see a gt4 getting low 130's then eh?
Just learned some better lines... I dig it. Just noticing a few things, I notice he's in 2nd gear coming out of turn 7 and I'm typically in 3rd gear. Little after turn 6 is where I typically go 4th to 3rd. This kills the straightaway in the GT350 I think because the GT4s I've seen gap me by a few lengths.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Do I have to mention that the GT350 is the soul of American ingenuity and opportunity? A FPC...
Front engine...
Can carry 4 people...
Mod it up and still under price of a GT4...
More availability...
Less wait for parts...
More availability of parts...
But most of all, you can still hang with the rednecks and track gang and still command respect at both.:rockon::rockon::rockon:
Unless you need an FL 2087 oil filter :)