MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Where did you order from?
My local dealer where I ordered my Mach from. Showed me the parts location screen and there was only 12 left in the warehouse in Michigan. If you can't order one new, try to find a crashed GT350 and get the pod from there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MrXXX0

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Out of curiosity, how did the gauge that replaced the vacuum get recognized by the system?
That harness receives a lot of info from the car, just depends on what the circuit board is programmed to read out. Vac gauge for stock pod and oil temp for this one. If you had a ecoboost the boost gauge would replace the vac and temp gauges.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Let me restate the question:

You have an M1 it had a vacuum gauge: swapping out the cluster: now having oil temp, not vacuum: did the computer reassign the port it was using for the vacuum gauge?

If the only thing you did was plug in the cluster, that answer is yes

OP
OP
MrXXX0

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Let me restate the question:

You have an M1 it had a vacuum gauge: swapping out the cluster: now having oil temp, not vacuum: did the computer reassign the port it was using for the vacuum gauge?

If the only thing you did was plug in the cluster, that answer is yes
Yes there was no relearning just plug and play so to speak.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Is it possible to order just the oil temp gauge, other than getting one from a salvage GT350?

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Is it possible to order just the oil temp gauge, other than getting one from a salvage GT350?
I just looked up the part number that @MrXXX0 used and it’s $293 through Levittown for the 2 gauge set. Not too bad

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
In modern cars (i.e. since 90s) the data are transmitted through CAN bus in data packets. The cluster is most likely connected to the sensor bus and receives data from all sensors, because all sensors are transmitting (broadcasting) them over the same bus. (CAN is a serial bus so it just needs two wires.)

The gauge cluster only processes and displays those data packets which it understands (has gauges for) and ignores the rest. If you swap the cluster with different gauges it will receive again the same (amount of) data, but will pick again only those which the new gauges can display. This way you can connect any gauge to the wire and it will just use the data it understands.

OP
OP
MrXXX0

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Yep I went toy local dealer and ordered it through them.

OP
OP
MrXXX0

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I just looked up the part number that @MrXXX0 used and it’s $293 through Levittown for the 2 gauge set. Not too bad
Think I paid around 260 or 270 but I've been working with my dealer for a while so I get cheaper then most. Loyalty sometimes pays off. Lol

OP
OP
MrXXX0

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
In modern cars (i.e. since 90s) the data are transmitted through CAN bus in data packets. The cluster is most likely connected to the sensor bus and receives data from all sensors, because all sensors are transmitting (broadcasting) them over the same bus. (CAN is a serial bus so it just needs two wires.)

The gauge cluster only processes and displays those data packets which it understands (has gauges for) and ignores the rest. If you swap the cluster with different gauges it will receive again the same (amount of) data, but will pick again only those which the new gauges can display. This way you can connect any gauge to the wire and it will just use the data it understands.
This is what I was trying to say but you said it perfectly and way more technical then me. Haha

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

The gauge will have firmware to isolate its function & display the oil temp.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Does anyone know where an (or the) actual oil temp sender is located on the engine? Reason I'm asking is I wouldn't want the oil temp to be "calculated" from some combination of water temp, cylinder head temp and whatever else to come up with a "calculated oil temp." Would want something that actually reads the real thing.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
@VictorH From what others have said earlier, there is no oil temp sensor anymore, the value is calculated. Maybe that's why normally it's not even shown, there's no digital gauge for it either.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Oil temp is inferred, there is no sensor.

OP
OP
MrXXX0

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@VictorH From what others have said earlier, there is no oil temp sensor anymore, the value is calculated. Maybe that's why normally it's not even shown, there's no digital gauge for it either.
Oil temp is inferred, there is no sensor.
Still worth having over vacuum which the digital dash has a read out for if someone wanted it back. An also if it was inferred instead of an actual read out or oil temp why would the oil temp keep the heat level in the gauge longer even after other temps have started to cool down? If it was inferred wouldn't it drop with other temps that it would calculate from?
Sponsored