Sponsored

GT350 Owner: Have you driven the Mach 1? Please provide your comparison to GT350

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Which doesn't counter what I said at all, so im not sure the point you're trying to make. A 15-17 MT-82 is also better in some gears than a 4.09 in 18+
Damn texting. Wish we could all talk in person sometimes. I was trying to reinforce your point, not counter.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I have. my statement still stands.
don’t recall ever trying to negate your statement.

A transmission should not be based on third party aftermarket parts I.e. change the shifter and the issue will go away. If it needs that, then something is wrong.

I would also say that there is a difference between having driven both and owning both—I have a lot of experience in both vehicles.

I am glad to see we disagree.

I would also point out that most automotive journalist have highlighted the inclusion of the Tremec as being the improvement on the Mach 1, so I’m not alone on that assessment.

Last edited:
OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others
Has anybody noticed that thread has devolved into a weird discussion about vehicle components, conjecture about the way a Mach 1 *would seem* to be, and an enumeration of various facts and statistics about the Mach 1 which everybody who is informed already has at his disposal from reading the same literature?

We all know what the PP1 and PP2 are, what the Bullitt was, etc etc. What we do not know are the intangibles from a test drive review, which is precisely what I think would be useful to prospective Mach 1 buyers.

I guess most folks are in the same position as me - unable to find a Mach 1 to test drive - while some are more interested in conjecture than in the merits of real experience behind the wheel of one.

I encourage Mustang guys to push their dealers to test drive these things. These are not Porsche 911 GT2 RS cars. This is a glorified Mustang. I can walk into any McLaren dealer I want and test drive a car; I can walk into a Ferrari dealer and test drive a car; and I can walk into just about any other dealer and test drive a car - we all can. Ford dealerships have become very arrogant in this Seller’s market. I will be delighted to rub it in their faces when the market flips upside down — when most customers will disappear but when I’ll still be buying cars. There weren’t too many denials of vehicle test drives in Winter 2008-Spring 2009, for example.

Please test drive the Mach 1 and share.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Has anybody noticed that thread has devolved into a weird discussion about vehicle components, conjecture about the way a Mach 1 *would seem* to be, and an enumeration of various facts and statistics about the Mach 1 which everybody who is informed already has at his disposal from reading the same literature?

We all know what the PP1 and PP2 are, what the Bullitt was, etc etc. What we do not know are the intangibles from a test drive review, which is precisely what I think would be useful to prospective Mach 1 buyers.

I guess most folks are in the same position as me - unable to find a Mach 1 to test drive - while some are more interested in conjecture than in the merits of real experience behind the wheel of one.

I encourage Mustang guys to push their dealers to test drive these things. These are not Porsche 911 GT2 RS cars. This is a glorified Mustang. I can walk into any McLaren dealer I want and test drive a car; I can walk into a Ferrari dealer and test drive a car; and I can walk into just about any other dealer and test drive a car - we all can. Ford dealerships have become very arrogant in this Seller’s market. I will be delighted to rub it in their faces when the market flips upside down — when most customers will disappear but when I’ll still be buying cars. There weren’t too many denials of vehicle test drives in Winter 2008-Spring 2009, for example.

You stated in your original post that your interest in the Mach1 is for an automatic transmission performance Mustang to complement the GT350 you already own. So the whole discussion regarding Tremec versus MT82 is a moot point. Did you post in the Mach1 section ? I’m sure you should be able to find a new Mach 1 owner that can give you feedback there, perhaps some one locally to allow you to test drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

348SStb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 991.2 911 S Cab, 2017 AMG SL63, 2019 AMG C63S, 2016 Boxster Spyder, 2019 Mustang GT Conv, too many others
You stated in your original post that your interest in the Mach1 is for an automatic transmission performance Mustang to complement the GT350 you already own. So the whole discussion regarding Tremec versus MT82 is a moot point. Did you post in the Mach1 section ? I’m sure you should be able to find a new Mach 1 owner that can give you feedback there, perhaps some one locally to allow you to test drive.
I did -- unfortunately didn't have much luck.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I did -- unfortunately didn't have much luck.
Sorry to hear that. Well, if you are patient, I’m sure you will get some seat time at some point. Opinions and impressions of other owners are helpful, but ultimately you have to decide, especially since you already own an awesome S550 mustang, the Shelby GT350 😎

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
A someone who is actively looking to buy either a new Mach 1 or used GT350, this thread interests me.

On paper, I can only see the Mach 1 besting it with some bells and whistles such as rev matching, digital dash, and wider wheels.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Well I just back into a 350, I trade my last one for a S4 as I thought I was moving to North Mn and needed AwD…but I decided to delay my retirement and get me some more free 401k money as the market gets busy….so just this week it was..get the new Mach 1 or a used 350. Found the 350 I wanted…test drive it…and picked it up. In the DC region prices are jacked up for new and used cars. But I got a good deal on the trade.

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Mach 1 benefits and I've driven both. (2016 GT350)

1. Auto blip down shift. (really cool)
2. Digital dash just way better.
3. HP package make handling even in terms of tires.
4. Steering modes and response, seem to be better on the M1.
5. Sound is debatable. M1 doesn't disappoint.
6. More low end torque, which feels better on the street.
7. GT350 handling felt slugglsh and handled like a school bus.

Ok, Ok #7 is unfair as I just got out of my Boss R, and hopped into GT350 on the track. What 600 extra lbs feels like.

hahaha

In my humble opinion.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin

I agree with this 100%, I briefly was interested in a GT500 but the attitude/arrogance of the dealer turned me off. So I drove 3 more miles down the road, and was fortunate enough to make the cut for a Porsche GT4 allocation. Previous voodoo owner, I can’t see any 5.0 being remotely close in performance to a 350. My question is if you opened up the Tremec 3160 on a Mach1 is it identical to the 350?

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Last edited:

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Mach 1 benefits and I've driven both. (2016 GT350)

1. Auto blip down shift. (really cool)
2. Digital dash just way better.
3. HP package make handling even in terms of tires.
4. Steering modes and response, seem to be better on the M1.
5. Sound is debatable. M1 doesn't disappoint.
6. More low end torque, which feels better on the street.
7. GT350 handling felt slugglsh and handled like a school bus.

Ok, Ok #7 is unfair as I just got out of my Boss R, and hopped into GT350 on the track. What 600 extra lbs feels like.

hahaha

In my humble opinion.
I'd rather have my analogue gauges all day, every day. I'm not a "Mustang guy" so maybe just owning a Mach 1 means something to people, but i think the design team completely missed the mark with the M1. I just can't get over the whale shark look. The Cobra fang front end of the 350 nails it.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I had auto blip in a Nismo Z I had, honestly after a while I turned it off. Auto blip sort of took some fun out of driving.
Sponsored