Sponsored

GT350 owner’s Mach-E Review

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
When you own an electric car you charge it in your garage or driveway overnight and start each day with a full “tank”. You need a 240V setup for this, so not something you can do for a rental or loaner. However, for an owner this means you practically never need to charge anywhere else for daily driving.

For road trips a Tesla is by far the best experience, but I would still personally choose an ICE vehicle (or plug in hybrid).

Electric cars are definitely not for everybody, but for many, they can be an excellent daily driver, starting each day at full can be pretty nice.

-T
As long as you have a private residence to re-charge the unit. For people who don't; they have a problem! Look at the number of apartment complexes in an average city. It's a big disadvantage.
Sponsored

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Thanks for the review - really interesting!

Two comments:

First, having four cars in the family fleet, four electrics would be a nightmare of chargers and parking. We park three on the street, and there's no way to charge them out there.

Second, I like the SUV (Explorer) for the height and visibility that comes with it. Our neighborhood is all SUV all the time, and it's like being down in a valley if you're in a regular car.

The game-changer for electric vehicles will be "battery stations" that work like gas stations. Drive in and position your car over a target. A robot removes a modular battery and replaces it with a fully charged one. You pay a small fee for the service and the difference in charge levels and you drive away. Done in a minute or two, full range available, no house modifications.
I agree that it would be a game changer. Tesla did try this. It didn't work out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-battery-swapping-plan-isnt-working-out-2015-6

https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have been reading a lot about Teslas (and Plaid) and their charging rate of 250 kw is over 5 times of what I observe with Mach - E/fast chargers (45 kw). It says you can charge for 15 minutes and get 187 miles of range. I observe 35 minutes of charging for 90 miles of range. Which is in line with 250 vs 45 charge rate. Its like comparing a typewriter to a macbook pro. Mach-E is just not tolerable - and I'd argue even with the 14-50 NEMA chargers at home, Tesla is somehow able to charge the batteries much quicker (and their battery is larger as well).

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
When you own an electric car you charge it in your garage or driveway overnight and start each day with a full “tank”. You need a 240V setup for this, so not something you can do for a rental or loaner. However, for an owner this means you practically never need to charge anywhere else for daily driving.

For road trips a Tesla is by far the best experience, but I would still personally choose an ICE vehicle (or plug in hybrid).

Electric cars are definitely not for everybody, but for many, they can be an excellent daily driver, starting each day at full can be pretty nice.

-T
All is well and good until you wake up and find out the power was out during the night for hours. Then hopefully there is a ICE car to use for work. I'll gladly let the early adopters deal with all the teething pains of EV's.
Sponsored