GT350 Oil Consumption Diagnosis Process

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I'll take the Aluminator once they run out of Voodoo's, please.
My head went there as well. Don’t know if I’d prefer it though.
Thats said, there are some fantastic engine builders out there who could improve on this platform if one had to.
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My head went there as well. Don’t know if I’d prefer it though.
Thats said, there are some fantastic engine builders out there who could improve on this platform if one had to.
There is certainly something special about the FPC. And the front suspension (Specifically the spindle) which Ford never got to work on the GT500 (I think due to weight), and which they never transferred over to the Mach 1. Even with the engine problems, it will go down as one of the best Mustang's ever made purely from a driving experience point of view.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
There is certainly something special about the FPC. And the front suspension (Specifically the spindle) which Ford never got to work on the GT500 (I think due to weight), and which they never transferred over to the Mach 1. Even with the engine problems, it will go down as one of the best Mustang's ever made purely from a driving experience point of view.
What do you mean by “never got to work on the gt500”?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What do you mean by “never got to work on the gt500”?
My experience has been the GT500, including the CFTP cars, struggle on turn in, like the GT350 is more tossable, if that makes sense. The GT500, you can feel the weight overpower the front end grip. Ford did an awesome job with managing the weight, but I never felt I could push the 500 the way I can push my own car, or even the Mach 1.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
My experience has been the GT500, including the CFTP cars, struggle on turn in, like the GT350 is more tossable, if that makes sense. The GT500, you can feel the weight overpower the front end grip. Ford did an awesome job with managing the weight, but I never felt I could push the 500 the way I can push my own car, or even the Mach 1.
That makes sense given the several hundred pound weight advantage.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That makes sense given the several hundred pound weight advantage.
In all fairness, I have no where near the seat time in a 500 I have had in my own car, or even a GT for that matter. So my inexperience in a 500 is also a contributing factor. The 500 definitely makes up for that minor shortcoming in multiple other respects.

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
Following back up, the compression and leak down tests were within spec. Ford directed the dealer to replace the PCV valve and change the oil, mark the stick and have me drive the vehicle for another oil consumption test basically. I've put about 200 miles on the car and the level hasn't moved. Previously it would have been nearly a quart low by 250-300 so we'll see what happens.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Following back up, the compression and leak down tests were within spec. Ford directed the dealer to replace the PCV valve and change the oil, mark the stick and have me drive the vehicle for another oil consumption test basically. I've put about 200 miles on the car and the level hasn't moved. Previously it would have been nearly a quart low by 250-300 so we'll see what happens.
Nice. :like: I'll take a PCV valve swap over an engine replacement any time. 😁

Thank You for following up.

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Nice. :like: I'll take a PCV valve swap over an engine replacement any time. 😁

Thank You for following up.
Yeah as much as I want a Gen 2 engine, I’d rather the original engine consume little to no oil and be good to go. So we’ll see how it all goes. Now that it seems to be trending towards being fixed, next up is getting my MGW shifter that’s been sitting in the box for a month and a half, installed on the car and getting back to enjoying driving again!

Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
That's great news! It does make me wonder how many other oil consumption problems would've been solved with PCV valve replacement as this is the first I've heard of them doing this.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Very good question. I never saw the results of my compression and leak down tests, or the borescope images. I did two drive tests and the aforementioned items, and they replaced the engine.

OP
OP
knighthawk

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Again, we’ll see how this goes. Rather cold here in Virginia at the moment so I haven’t driven it a ton. We’ll see where it stands around the 450 mile mark but so far so good and the oil level hasn’t moved. Previously it was down half a quart in 100 miles or so. We’ll see what happens.

Drew17cobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Mine never said anything about a PCV valve. They actually quite easy to deal with when mine was replaced. They tore the motor down and found oil fouled plugs and 3 cylinders were not within tolerance. The longest wait was getting a new engine from Ford.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That is great news, sometimes it takes time for all the issues to reveal the
true cause. Not saying this is the only cause.
Sponsored