Sponsored

GT350 Oil Change Interval for Hot Climates

Nichiari2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey all,

My OLM is at 35% and I'm at around 4k miles on this oil, so I am planning on doing an oil change soon. I was looking through the Shelby supplement manual this morning and saw they have caveat for oil change intervals in hotter climates:

Hot Climate Oil Change Intervals
Vehicles operating in the Middle East or
locations with similar climates using an
American Petroleum Institute (API)
Certified for Gasoline Engines (Certification
mark) oil of SM or SN quality, the normal
oil change interval is 3,000 mi (4,800 km).
If the available API SM or SN oils are not
available, then the oil change interval is
1,800 mi (2,900 km).

I am in Phoenix, Arizona. Should I be following the OLM, or should I be following the hot climate oil change interval? I should also mention; I daily drive this car and have yet to be to a track.

Thanks!
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™m in the desert as well but not as extreme heat as you.
We have about three months a year of pretty intense heat, supposed to be 100 today already and Iā€™m not ready for it.
That said, I do not pleasure ride or drive in the heat, itā€™s just no fun. For you, Iā€™d use the extreme recommendation during the hot months and the ā€œnormalā€ recommendation the rest of the year.
Makes you wonder what goes into the OLM calculations. Youā€™d think heat would be an equation.

OP
OP

Nichiari2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That makes sense, I was already planning on 4-5k mile oil changes. The caveat about "climates like the middle east" really threw me though hahaha

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey all,

My OLM is at 35% and I'm at around 4k miles on this oil, so I am planning on doing an oil change soon. I was looking through the Shelby supplement manual this morning and saw they have caveat for oil change intervals in hotter climates:

Hot Climate Oil Change Intervals
Vehicles operating in the Middle East or
locations with similar climates using an
American Petroleum Institute (API)
Certified for Gasoline Engines (Certification
mark) oil of SM or SN quality, the normal
oil change interval is 3,000 mi (4,800 km).
If the available API SM or SN oils are not
available, then the oil change interval is
1,800 mi (2,900 km).

I am in Phoenix, Arizona. Should I be following the OLM, or should I be following the hot climate oil change interval? I should also mention; I daily drive this car and have yet to be to a track.

Thanks!
The OLM is pretty smart - between the temperature guardrails in the ECU (that prevent over-heating) and the easy availability of good quality oil, I wouldn't concern myself with the Hot Climate note. The OLM will give you the right change interval.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
This is sort of a sidenote, but I'm pretty sure that the temperature of the fluids above ambient is pretty much 1:1

What I mean is if it's 80 outside and the oil is 250, then at 100 outside the oil would be 270 under the same driving conditions.

Sponsored

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you daily drive it then I would recommend following the hot climate interval. For me (I live in Phoenix as well) I only drive mine on the weekends and during the summer months I take it out in the mornings before it hits 100 degrees (I agree with 460fred, no fun in the heat). Given my driving habits I change the oil based upon either the OLM or once I hit a year after my last oil change which works out to about ~3K miles.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am in the desert also, not as hot as the middle east, but lots of 100 plus. Changing mine
at 3k
Sponsored