GT350 OE Pilot Sport Cup 2’s mileage

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I first want to say I love my new ‘19 GT350 and also love the way my tires handle in fairly aggressive mountain driving and around town driving.
I’m already prepared to replace them with the same when the time comes.
A couple questions though...
How many miles should I expect to get out of them?
How often are you guys rotating them? I know the recommendation is every 10,000 miles but from what I’ve read, I’d be lucky to get that many miles out of a set. As of now, I’m planning on rotation every 2K or so.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Congrats on the new car Fred... you will NOT get tired of driving it (It's vehicular acoustical crack).
I have had mine one year now and already have 13,000 miles. I was planning on between 4-6K per year; I guess I was fooling myself.

My tires lasted 11,000 miles. I did one Mountain run in North Georgia, but for the most part I did not drive the vehicle that hard. I was down to the wear bars and replaced them with the Pilot Super Sports.
"Why Dave?"
"Brilliant question there Fred... allow me to elaborate!"

The PRO's to the Super Sports:
- More tread depth = longer life
- Less rocks being thrown up (although I never really noticed rock chips on the sides)
-Tramlining is GONE
- Saved a few coins ( just a few hundred... wasn't even a consideration)

The CON's to the Super Sports
- Not as sticky in the turns
- The sidewalls "may" be a little more flexible based on my uncalibrated seat-o-the-pants meter

As far as rotating them...
"Yeah Dave, that was my first question in the post!"
"Don't interrupt me Fred, I was getting to that."

I rotated them every time I drove the car, unless I was at a stoplight, then they stopped their rotation. Seriously though, I can't see a reason to rotate them from left to right unless your tracking on oval courses all of the time. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can chime in on the rotation question.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Congrats on the new car Fred... you will NOT get tired of driving it (It's vehicular acoustical crack).
I have had mine one year now and already have 13,000 miles. I was planning on between 4-6K per year; I guess I was fooling myself.

My tires lasted 11,000 miles. I did one Mountain run in North Georgia, but for the most part I did not drive the vehicle that hard. I was down to the wear bars and replaced them with the Pilot Super Sports.
"Why Dave?"
"Brilliant question there Fred... allow me to elaborate!"

The PRO's to the Super Sports:
- More tread depth = longer life
- Less rocks being thrown up (although I never really noticed rock chips on the sides)
-Tramlining is GONE
- Saved a few coins ( just a few hundred... wasn't even a consideration)

The CON's to the Super Sports
- Not as sticky in the turns
- The sidewalls "may" be a little more flexible based on my uncalibrated seat-o-the-pants meter

As far as rotating them...
"Yeah Dave, that was my first question in the post!"
"Don't interrupt me Fred, I was getting to that."

I rotated them every time I drove the car, unless I was at a stoplight, then they stopped their rotation. Seriously though, I can't see a reason to rotate them from left to right unless your tracking on oval courses all of the time. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can chime in on the rotation question.

I have to say you always make me laugh!

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I did that North Georgia mountain run with Dave, and tire wear was extra high that day. I was wondering what Dave was going to do on his new tire choice.

My car got a year old this month at 3,800 miles (did the oil change). All is good with the car, but the new world has restricted my mileage.
SixGapRG (1).gif

68Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang coupe, 2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Following along as i'm curious as well on expected tire wear mileage on my 2020 GT350.

Dave - in regards to the Pilot Super Sports - do you drive those year round? I'm in a similar climate to you one state to the west. I know they are considered "summer tires".

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Dave - in regards to the Pilot Super Sports - do you drive those year round? I'm in a similar climate to you one state to the west. I know they are considered "summer tires".
Yes... I plan on driving the Super Sports year round except for wet days... just like I did with the OEM Cup 2's. The coldest day I drove the Cup 2's, it was in the low twenties.
The grip goes down in the cold, and the owners manual kinda says they don't like weather below 45 degrees.
If I was to have a tire issue and Ford asked if I ever drove them when it was less than 45 degrees, I was prepared to say "No, never below 45 degrees" (of course I'm talking Rankin or Kelvin scales.... but I would not be lying).

68Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang coupe, 2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Yes... I plan on driving the Super Sports year round except for wet days... just like I did with the OEM Cup 2's. The coldest day I drove the Cup 2's, it was in the low twenties.
The grip goes down in the cold, and the owners manual kinda says they don't like weather below 45 degrees.
If I was to have a tire issue and Ford asked if I ever drove them when it was less than 45 degrees, I was prepared to say "No, never below 45 degrees" (of course I'm talking Rankin or Kelvin scales.... but I would not be lying).
Thanks! Great info!
What i'm dealing with this time of year, as i'm sure you are, is that it comes a major thunderstorm most every afternoon. Running the Cup 2's I'm afraid to drive it to work else I'm stuck trying to drive it home in an afternoon downpour. I'm only 1700 miles or so in and already got caught in one major down pour and i was like a long tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs. I just don't have the feel for it in the rain with these cup 2's.

Fred - i apologize (sorta) for hijacking your thread. :sunglasses:

DH9387

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks! Great info!
What i'm dealing with this time of year, as i'm sure you are, is that it comes a major thunderstorm most every afternoon. Running the Cup 2's I'm afraid to drive it to work else I'm stuck trying to drive it home in an afternoon downpour. I'm only 1700 miles or so in and already got caught in one major down pour and i was like a long tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs. I just don't have the feel for it in the rain with these cup 2's.

Fred - i apologize (sorta) for hijacking your thread. :sunglasses:
I daily drive the Super Sports in metro Atlanta and I think they do great in the rain. It is only in the biggest of puddles on the interstate at speed that I even notice any issues. Now, obviously I am not flooring it all over the place, but if you drive it like any other car during a downpour, I don't think you will have any issues.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I daily drive the Super Sports in metro Atlanta and I think they do great in the rain. It is only in the biggest of puddles on the interstate at speed that I even notice any issues. Now, obviously I am not flooring it all over the place, but if you drive it like any other car during a downpour, I don't think you will have any issues.
David is spot on... I was caught in the rain several times and had no issues with the Cup 2's.
I just avoided rain days because I don't want it to get dirty.
Several local weathermen will call and ask which vehicle - "Shelby or Pickup Dave?"
If I said "Shelby", they would change the rain chance to less than 10%

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
According to Ford, the Sport Cup 2s that come with the 2019 and 2020 GT 350s have the equal wet performance as the Super Sports that came with the prior year GT 350s.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Good thread....

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
According to Ford, the Sport Cup 2s that come with the 2019 and 2020 GT 350s have the equal wet performance as the Super Sports that came with the prior year GT 350s.
Really? That's interesting. I didn't know that, and those Cup 2's in the rain is a major reason why I'd try to find another set of Super Sports or possibly PS4S when my current Super Sports are done. Now this is making me reconsider since more grip is always better.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I have read this as well. And for now still running PSC2s.

However, the tread depth on the PSC2s is significantly less than the PSSs. So while the PSC2s may perform equally on wet roads when new, the PSC2s wear faster. As the tread depth on the PSCs wears thinner, quicker than the PSSs, I expect you will loose that equal wet traction performance.

If you compare both tires when new on the track, they may have equal wet traction.
But if you daily drive your Shelby, you may loose that wet performance faster with the PSC2s, as well as the overall life of the tire. And there are plenty of threads comparing tram line behavior to boot.

So in in short, the comparison is with new tires on the track. That is not the same as driving on them a few thousand miles later on the track or the street.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking about tires, the term "tram". I think I know how it's being used.

Just asking to hear it defend in the Mustang world.

To me:
Tramming or to tram is a fundamental process, for a milling machine. Checking and adjusting the squareness of the mill head and column. To the top of the machine table.

Pep
Sponsored

Last edited: