GT350 intake with GT500 airbox / cover?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
This is really great info. I have the FP calibration kit with the GT350 intake. I was thinking the GT500 lid would fit on it too. That kit comes with an open top intake that seals to the hood. I don't mind that so much as the poorly implemented foam seal along the right side of the box (what Ford incorrectly calls an air filter #9601 ). How is that installed to create a good seal on the GT500? I thought I had mine correct but looking at your pictures I may have installed it on the wrong side of the intake housing! I situated the the foam on the outside of the box so the soft compressible foam would seal around the hole. Now it is tearing and the two foam halves are separating. I have had to use black RTV to close it up. My OCD won't allow me to leave it alone.

Air intake temperatures are quite likely higher with the open top seal. So I would love to close it all up good. But have my doubts now that I have seen the same shitty foam piece in use on the GT500 intake assembly.
1629466170640.png

Is this correct? I noticed there is a hard foam wedge on the back that looks like it is supposed to sit into the open slot that points downward. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was supposed to be so did I did it this way:
1629466248557.png

1629466591431.png

It's a really bad design. All because of that brace sticking out. Hopefully these pics are helpful for everyone. Again, I am likely using the foam incorrectly but it was the only way I could get it to seal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
This is really great info. I have the FP calibration kit with the GT350 intake. I was thinking the GT500 lid would fit on it too. That kit comes with an open top intake that seals to the hood. I don't mind that so much as the poorly implemented foam seal along the right side of the box (what Ford incorrectly calls an air filter #9601 ). How is that installed to create a good seal on the GT500? I thought I had mine correct but looking at your pictures I may have installed it on the wrong side of the intake housing! I situated the the foam on the outside of the box so the soft compressible foam would seal around the hole. Now it is tearing and the two foam halves are separating. I have had to use black RTV to close it up. My OCD won't allow me to leave it alone.

Air intake temperatures are quite likely higher with the open top seal. So I would love to close it all up good. But have my doubts now that I have seen the same shitty foam piece in use on the GT500 intake assembly.

Is this correct? I noticed there is a hard foam wedge on the back that looks like it is supposed to sit into the open slot that points downward. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was supposed to be so did I did it this way:

It's a really bad design. All because of that brace sticking out. Hopefully these pics are helpful for everyone. Again, I am likely using the foam incorrectly but it was the only way I could get it to seal.
I'm not quite sure. I looked up some videos of GT500 intake installs to try and figure this out. From what little I could see it looks like it goes on outside of the airbox. I looked at that spot on my car and it looks like that square wedge locates in a notch in the body underneath the rad support frame rail.

20210820_171509.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Did you ever get this install completed? I am wondering how you did the foam seal along the right side of the box. Do you have any pics to share?

OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
I have not installed mine yet. I am installing mine with my GT350 manifold. I just filled up with my second tank of 93 so when I'm done this tank I plan do do the swap. However work just picked back up and I'm back to 72 hrs a week so not sure when I'll have the time to do it.

That being said, everything I've seen indicates it goes on before the airbox tray and sits on the outside of it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Oh well whenever you get around to working on it. I'll be watching for an update. Thank you!

Sponsored

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
archetype racing sells a lid for the gt350 air box

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
archetype racing sells a lid for the gt350 air box
I think they are on a backlog so they pulled them from the website.

July 2 2021

if you want one, email me at [email protected] and I’ll add you to the queue.
I pulled it off the site due to the backlog. With the recent move and opening of the new shop, I’ve had to shut down the 6 printers. Orders for the WARTHOG keep coming in and it’s just creating a large backlog and long lead times. Once I get lead times back down, I’ll put it back on the site.

TheSevs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think they are on a backlog so they pulled them from the website.

July 2 2021

if you want one, email me at [email protected] and I’ll add you to the queue.
I pulled it off the site due to the backlog. With the recent move and opening of the new shop, I’ve had to shut down the 6 printers. Orders for the WARTHOG keep coming in and it’s just creating a large backlog and long lead times. Once I get lead times back down, I’ll put it back on the site.
I haven't been able to get ahold of him since back in July. Anyone else having the same issue??

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
I haven't been able to get ahold of him since back in July. Anyone else having the same issue??
He replied back to me and said they are still getting moved in.

Sponsored

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
IMG_0303.JPG

Heres the GT500 airbox with GT350 intake tube. Everything fit right up with exception of that foam peice on the front. It's kinda mashed in there but it's all sealed up well enough. It may look like theres a gap the foam is being pinched. The GT350 snorkel portion of the airbox is a direct snap on.

Also forgot to mention the foam "weather strip" tape used around the intake tube since the GT500 intake tube is a lil larger.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Cool. How are your AIT's compared to the stock intake box?

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
IAT's seem pretty identical to the stock enclosed box. Much improved over the open GT350 one and now water wont get on my filter.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IAT's seem pretty identical to the stock enclosed box. Much improved over the open GT350 one and now water wont get on my filter.
Nice work and it looks good.

Are your IAT's measured in the sense of daily driving w/traffic, open rural roads or straight highway bound? At what speed, RPM or how long of an idle time?

Or is the IAT from a track day?

What was the before/after comparison? Meaning, what was exterior temps and driving environment with original air box and IAT readings vs. same after the GT500 "cap" mod?

IAT's can vary greatly not only in a single vehicle being used in a single environment - but when trying to compare other vehicles outside that region, that are being used in different manners.

IAT temps when in stop and go traffic with significant idle time over driving time will be much greater than someone who's cruising on an open highway (or Auto Cross track).

I'm interested in your real world results if you have additional data for comparison sakes.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
This is something I would also like to know. I'm about to get the power pack 3 installed and the only thing I dont like about it, is the hot air intake.

It definitely looks like the 500 air box should just clamp around the GT350 tube. If anything is different I would think the diameter of the opening in the 500 box might be bigger, which could be sealed with some weather stripping.

Where were you able to price out the GT500 airbox? Thanks.
I just installed the whole pp3, replacing a steeda pro-flow. Last night while cruising, (granted it was cool last night around 65) my ait's were no more than 8 degrees above ambient. The top of the 350 box is relatively tight against the hood.

I am by no means saying the new gt500 setup wouldnt be better, for obvious reasons they worked hard on intake charge temps.
Sponsored