Sponsored

GT350 Intake Manifold and Throttle Body on 2018 GT?

I <3 Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 10 Speed Automatic
I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT a few weeks ago and was planning my future mods. I had a full bolt-on 2017 GT - Lund flex fuel tune, GT350 intake manifold and throttle body, full exhaust, etc. I’m aware that the new 18 manifold is comparable to the GT350. I contacted Lund and they informed me that gains were negligible with the GT350 manifold and they would not tune the car if I used the GT350 throttle body.

My questions are - has anyone attempted using the GT350 intake manifold and/or throttle body on a 2018? Will they fit without significant modifications?

I thought I read somewhere that the new Bullitt will use the GT350 manifold and throttle body - yielding slightly more horsepower...?

Any advice or assistance is appreciated! I searched but couldn’t find any information in regards to this. Again, if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction it would be appreciated!
Sponsored

96MUSTANG06

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I purchased a 2018 Mustang GT a few weeks ago and was planning my future mods. I had a full bolt-on 2017 GT - Lund flex fuel tune, GT350 intake manifold and throttle body, full exhaust, etc. I’m aware that the new 18 manifold is comparable to the GT350. I contacted Lund and they informed me that gains were negligible with the GT350 manifold and they would not tune the car if I used the GT350 throttle body.

My questions are - has anyone attempted using the GT350 intake manifold and/or throttle body on a 2018? Will they fit without significant modifications?

I thought I read somewhere that the new Bullitt will use the GT350 manifold and throttle body - yielding slightly more horsepower...?

Any advice or assistance is appreciated! I searched but couldn’t find any information in regards to this. Again, if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction it would be appreciated!
I had a GT350 mani and throttle body on my 16, and I am now having an 18 manifold installed with a GT350 throttle body and a Lund Tune. I believe the gains on the Bullitt come from the use of the GT350 throttle body more so that the 350 mani. However, Ford doesn't want to have to use an adapter, or redesign the 18 mani to accept a 350 throttle body, so they just slap on the 350 mani, throttle body, and a more aggressive tune to bump the horsepower numbers...

OP
OP
I <3 Boost

I <3 Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a GT350 mani and throttle body on my 16, and I am now having an 18 manifold installed with a GT350 throttle body and a Lund Tune. I believe the gains on the Bullitt come from the use of the GT350 throttle body more so that the 350 mani. However, Ford doesn't want to have to use an adapter, or redesign the 18 mani to accept a 350 throttle body, so they just slap on the 350 mani, throttle body, and a more aggressive tune to bump the horsepower numbers...

Interesting. Lund said I could use the GT350 manifold but they wouldn’t tune for the GT350 throttle body. I’m sure the gains wouldn’t be significant but since I already have both I was considering using them, rather than selling them. I know the GT350 throttle body doesn’t yield very many whp on the 15-17 GT’s. I would just like to use them if I could pick-up an extra 10-15 whp with the combo. Thanks for your reply.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The 18 manifold is already an excellent piece. Little to no gains going to the 350 mani, let alone the tb.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
The 18 manifold is already an excellent piece. Little to no gains going to the 350 mani, let alone the tb.
I agree that the 18 IM is great, but what are you basing the later information on? Just quick generalization, the Gen 2 coyote flows roughly 289 cfm per cylinder and a typical 85mm TB flows about 1300 and some change cfm @ peak. Keep in mind that the gen 3 will flow a bit more per cylinder. That leaves a deficit of about 1000 cfm @ peak of theoretical flow. In reality with a perfect motor that actually hits optimal flow and VE @ peak it is more likely only a deficit of a few 100 cfm, however, with a shorter runner IM the VE is changed for the better which would make the larger TB and it's flow @ peak produce better power @ peak. With all that said, would it be worth the money if you don't already have the parts?..... Probably not IMO, but it sounds like the OP already has the parts.

I am really curious as to why one of the best tuners in this cars realm says they won't tune it if you use the 350tb.... That is very disappointing to hear and really makes me think that mustang tuners may be overly relying on their base tunes than their actual ability to tune or that customers are just not giving enough consistent log data for them to spend the extra time to make odd combos work... The later being one of the main reasons I HATED email tuning Evos back in the day..

Last edited:

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that the 18 IM is great, but what are you basing the later information on? Just quick generalization, the Gen 2 coyote flows roughly 289 cfm per cylinder and a typical 85mm TB flows about 1300 and some change cfm @ peak. Keep in mind that the gen 3 will flow a bit more per cylinder. That leaves a deficit of about 1000 cfm @ peak of theoretical flow. In reality with a perfect motor that actually hits optimal flow and VE @ peak it is more likely only a deficit of a few 100 cfm, however, with a shorter runner IM the VE is changed for the better which would make the larger TB and it's flow @ peak produce better power @ peak. With all that said, would it be worth the money if you don't already have the parts?..... Probably not IMO, but it sounds like the OP already has the parts.

I am really curious as to why one of the best tuners in this cars realm says they won't tune it if you use the 350tb.... That is very disappointing to hear and really makes me think that mustang tuners may be overly relying on their base tunes than their actual ability to tune or that customers are just not giving enough consistent log data for them to spend the extra time to make odd combos work... The later being one of the main reasons I HATED email tuning Evos back in the day..
It's because the new '18 pcm uses a different type of communication protocol with the TB electronics vs the 15-17 TB. Plug and pinout is different too. Tuner would rely on the end user to hook everything up correctly, along with a standalone converter box. That's a huge headache for tuners and just not worth the risk or negative reviews of a customer saying "I have XXXX tuner trying to get my car to run right. They are garbage."

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I am really curious as to why one of the best tuners in this cars realm says they won't tune it if you use the 350tb.... That is very disappointing to hear and really makes me think that mustang tuners may be overly relying on their base tunes than their actual ability to tune or that customers are just not giving enough consistent log data for them to spend the extra time to make odd combos work...
I think it is silly to presume that those tuners literally start each tune from scratch. If they are anything like the 'custom tuners' in the Audi realm, they have canned tunes for the more popular mods and combos that get sent to everyone with MINOR adjustments for octane or elevation. If the customer comes back with a complaint or concern a change will be made.

I would think that that all of the 'stock + intake' tunes are all the same with the exception of the MAF tables (to account for the different diameters).

I am not saying they are not well written or dont perform, just that they are likely far cry from 'custom'.

OP
OP
I <3 Boost

I <3 Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good information! Thanks!

Yes, I do already have the parts from my 2017 Mustang GT. As of right now, my plan is to sell the GT350 manifold and throttle body. I definitely didn’t anticipate significant gains from these parts anyway, I just thought I would use them until I order my Whipple kit.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Why bother...? Go CJ if your looking to gain n/a on intake side.

Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I am in the same boat. I have a GT350 IM left over from my 15 that I traded in. (Along with SP longtubes/MBRP Street CB and some other stuff that I could not use on the 18) I have been waiting to either sell the parts or see if someone else gives the GT350 IM a shot on a 18 since the Bullet uses one. The TB never made any extra power for me on the 15 using both Lund and Rev Auto as tuners so its not worth the trouble to me to try to get it to work. If there wasn't a little issue with the IMRC not being the same on the 18 I would absolutely throw it on there to see what would happen. I just don't want to take the time to work out the details on install without seeing a definite gain first (without substantial low end loss). My guess is that it could be worth up to a 10whp gain above 6k and it may extend the power closer to 8k rpm which may be worth it if we don't see 20whp torque losses. In the mean time, I'm gonna keep trying to sell it until its gone or someone proves its worth using. If it sells and then someone proves its an improvement, oh well use the money to buy the king CJ since we all know that one is really the one to go to! LOL

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
It's because the new '18 pcm uses a different type of communication protocol with the TB electronics vs the 15-17 TB. Plug and pinout is different too. Tuner would rely on the end user to hook everything up correctly, along with a standalone converter box. That's a huge headache for tuners and just not worth the risk or negative reviews of a customer saying "I have XXXX tuner trying to get my car to run right. They are garbage."
Ah that makes sense, before that insight it was really confusing me why it would be a problem when we know that Lund has talented tuners under their belt.

texasboy21 I don't think anyone would be surprised if they use base tunes for common combos that are slightly tweaked for the customers specific. What I was confused about was cleared up, however, I did state some possible reasons from my experience of why some tuners won't touch certain combos. Again this being Lund, it just didn't make sense at first but now we know that the pinout of the actual sensor is different. That alone would be more hassle than what it would be worth.

Last edited:

JabateNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
How did this work? I am thinking about doing the same exact thing. 2016 mustang GT with gt350 throttle body and 2018+ ported intake manifold. I am also thinking of getting a gt350 cold air intake. My car has never been tuned but I heard Lund is against tuning with the gt350 throttle body, so I was wondering how your experience was getting a tune as well.
Sponsored