Sponsored

Gt350 intake and throttle body on 2016 GT

Travis550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Several months ago I installed a gt350 intake and throttle body on a 2016 gt and I had it tuned with bama. Right away I started having problems with the car backfiring during acceleration and lagging during acceleration. After about a week of driving it like that, it kept throwing a wrench light code p061b (internal torque calculation error). First I thought maybe it was an issue with the tune so I took it to get dyno tuned at reliable shop. The car ran fine for about a day or 2, but then the it started throwing the code again. Only when I started the car after it had been sitting for a while though, it did not throw it while I was driving. The car still lagged during acceleration, but it seemed to be better or worse based on the kind of weather. Then I thought maybe it was the throttle body so I replaced that and still kept experiencing the same problems. A couple days ago I found a video of a person who was running the same cai as me and intake and tb, but he had his vacuum lies into the plenum routed different. I tried to change my vacuum lines to match his to see if that would fix the problem but the car is still throwing the code. Also, just recently, my drivers side ac started blowing hot while my passenger side is actually blowing snow, no joke the car has actual snow flakes coming out of the ac and it's quite a bit. Does anyone have any ideas, maybe a vacuum leak somewhere? ive checked quite a bit and couldn't find any, but i only checked areas i could see. Maybe a bad ac compressor? but could it really be putting that much drag on the engine, because i still have problems when it is off although the problems get a lot better. I'm lost for ideas at this point hopefully someone else has had this problem.
Sponsored

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Several months ago I installed a gt350 intake and throttle body on a 2016 gt and I had it tuned with bama. Right away I started having problems with the car backfiring during acceleration and lagging during acceleration. After about a week of driving it like that, it kept throwing a wrench light code p061b (internal torque calculation error). First I thought maybe it was an issue with the tune so I took it to get dyno tuned at reliable shop. The car ran fine for about a day or 2, but then the it started throwing the code again. Only when I started the car after it had been sitting for a while though, it did not throw it while I was driving. The car still lagged during acceleration, but it seemed to be better or worse based on the kind of weather. Then I thought maybe it was the throttle body so I replaced that and still kept experiencing the same problems. A couple days ago I found a video of a person who was running the same cai as me and intake and tb, but he had his vacuum lies into the plenum routed different. I tried to change my vacuum lines to match his to see if that would fix the problem but the car is still throwing the code. Also, just recently, my drivers side ac started blowing hot while my passenger side is actually blowing snow, no joke the car has actual snow flakes coming out of the ac and it's quite a bit. Does anyone have any ideas, maybe a vacuum leak somewhere? ive checked quite a bit and couldn't find any, but i only checked areas i could see. Maybe a bad ac compressor? but could it really be putting that much drag on the engine, because i still have problems when it is off although the problems get a lot better. I'm lost for ideas at this point hopefully someone else has had this problem.
You have two different problems, your AC problem may be the common evaporator issue with the 2016s. The symptoms fit it perfectly.

OP
OP
Travis550

Travis550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
You have two different problems, your AC problem may be the common evaporator issue with the 2016s. The symptoms fit it perfectly.
You think this could be the cause of all of my engine problems and not just the A/C?

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You think this could be the cause of all of my engine problems and not just the A/C?
No, it seems like that's a completely different problem. The evaporator failure doesn't cause any drivability problems, that's why it's only a TSB and not a recall.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
AC issue sounds like a blend door actuator issue.

I assume you have the GT350 intake MANIFOLD, TB, and a cold air intake.

Step one will be to get a tune from LUND, not Bama. Ditch that Bama tune ASAP.

I'd also ditch the GT350 TB since it offers like, what, maybe 3-4 hp but also complete with driveability issues that not even Ford Performance can tune out (on their Power Pack 2, which I suffered with for a little while).

Put the stock TB on, get a tune from VMP or Lund and assuming you haven't forgotten to plug something in, you'll probably be good to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Travis550

Travis550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT

I assume you have the GT350 intake MANIFOLD, TB, and a cold air intake.

Step one will be to get a tune from LUND, not Bama. Ditch that Bama tune ASAP.

I'd also ditch the GT350 TB since it offers like, what, maybe 3-4 hp but also complete with driveability issues that not even Ford Performance can tune out (on their Power Pack 2, which I suffered with for a little while).

Put the stock TB on, get a tune from VMP or Lund and assuming you haven't forgotten to plug something in, you'll probably be good to go.
I got it dyno tuned right after I had problems with bama. You think that putting the old throttle body on will help even if a dyno tune could not fix this?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You have to re-tune for the stock TB and again, get a tune from Lund or VMP.

The GT350 TB has different electronics.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
check vacuum line to blow off valve, either way check your vacuum lines

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's what I thought when I took my car in two weeks ago with the same symptoms, found out that they had fixed a few dozen cars with that behavior all with failed evaporators.

Then I googled it.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I really like American Muscle, but their affiliation the Bama is really the only negative. I hardly ever hear great things about their tunes when compared to others. I have no personal experience other than what I read on the interwebz.

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
You have to re-tune for the stock TB and again, get a tune from Lund or VMP.

The GT350 TB has different electronics.
He doesn't need a tune from VMP or Lund. He had the car dyno tuned. He dropped the Bama.

OP I would recommend switching to the stock TB and get retuned. There seems to be a lot of issues trying to run the GT350 TB.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
After the first sentence said Bama tuned I blacked out and quit reading.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
He doesn't need a tune from VMP or Lund. He had the car dyno tuned. He dropped the Bama.

OP I would recommend switching to the stock TB and get retuned. There seems to be a lot of issues trying to run the GT350 TB.
Ah I misunderstood that. :doh:
Sponsored