GT350 Hood on a GT

YellowJacketGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 1958 Triumph Tiger
Just checking to see if there is anyone out there that can help me out before I go down a bad rabbit hole. I recently had a bit of a fender bender that damaged my hood, passenger fender, and bumper. I was looking at putting on a Gt350 hood, but someone told me that I would have to replace the fenders and bumper with GT350 parts at the same time. On paper, doesn't seem bad since I already have to replace the bumper and one fender anyway, but when I started pricing out things to get all of the parts for the bumper it got expensive quickly. Has anyone had experience with doing this? If I really need to change the bumper, are there some economical alternatives? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
You would need the bumper and fenders to go along with that hood. Fenders are wider so the bumper has to be wider to match up to the fenders. You may have to change out the core support too to make all that fit right...and there could be some other differences.

There's GT350 style hoods out there that will fit the regular S550's without any other modifications...if you're just looking for that look, I'd look at some aftermarket hood options.

Last edited:

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I do believe Howitzer is correct. You gotta get the GT350 headlights too. As the bumper is different from the GT's from 18 and up. If your 17 down you might not have to get the headlights.

OP
OP

YellowJacketGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 1958 Triumph Tiger
Thanks guys. Mine's a 16 so the headlights are the same. The fender brackets are the same, but the bumper brackets are not. Also inner fenders are different as well as the bits under the bumper.

Does anyone know if/where you can buy a complete GT350 bumper? Ford sells the cover separately from all of the ducts, grills, etc. Wasn't sure if there was anything aftermarket.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You would need the bumper and fenders to go along with that hood. Fenders are wider so the bumper has to be wider to match up to the fenders.
Pretty sure it's all the same, as in you don't have to change out the bumper and/or fenders. They may be slightly wider, but only towards the back not where it meets the chassis or the bumper.

I know a local guy that has the GT350 fenders on his GT and they line up perfectly with the stock GT bumper and then flare out from there.

Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure it's all the same, as in you don't have to change out the bumper and/or fenders. They may be slightly wider, but only towards the back not where it meets the chassis or the bumper.

I know a local guy that has the GT350 fenders on his GT and they line up perfectly with the stock GT bumper and then flare out from there.
Do you know he's doing that? Or are they replica fenders made for the standard s550? I guess for just the fenders, it would depend on where it starts getting wider...but if i look at pictures of the front ends, it starts getting wider right at the headlights and flows all the way down. Which should mean...where the fender starts should be wider to match that in the bumper, right? From the pic below, the fender even right at the front where it flares out from the headlight, can't be the same width.

For the GT350, I thought the hood sits lower and everything is cut/fits together differently. I know there's different core support between the gt350 and GT. The front bumper also seems to be sloped up more on the gt350 than the GT. So even if you could fit certain parts, I feel like the body lines would be way off.

1675714837866.png

Last edited:

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. Mine's a 16 so the headlights are the same. The fender brackets are the same, but the bumper brackets are not. Also inner fenders are different as well as the bits under the bumper.

Does anyone know if/where you can buy a complete GT350 bumper? Ford sells the cover separately from all of the ducts, grills, etc. Wasn't sure if there was anything aftermarket.
Here's a large parts list for the gt350: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-gt350r-parts-discussion.31168/

But remember...if you do this, you'll need all the other pieces to match...the grill, belly pan, splitter, fender wheel wells, radiator, probably some other stuff. If you want the look, I'd still suggest looking into aftermarket replica options.

Looks like some other people did some research into this several years ago when the GT350 debuted and the consensus is the same: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-hood.44127/post-1078907

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Much better off buying GT350 "style" parts for the GT than trying to adapt actual GT350 units over to the GT. The largest issue is that the core support sits lower on the GT350 which means that everything from the front windshield and doors forward has to be replaced as they all tie together to the lower core support.
Sponsored