Sponsored

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
A while back I was on a strip of A61 around Mannheim and Hockenheim when I came upon a C63. After he realized he couldn't outpace the Shelby he moved aside and fell in behind me. Literally seconds later, an Aventador closed on us from behind. As we moved aside, rather than leaving us both in his vapor trail, he was gracious enough to ease in front of me to make a 3 car Autobahn parade.

I still kick myself for not having my dashcam up:
1) I would know what speed our "parade" was averaging. Nothing outrageous, but too fast to watch the speedometer, even on a Sunday--probably 240 kph or so average.;
2) I would have an awesome video of the Aventador exhaust breathing flames.

Fortunately, a properly adjusted hood won't shake at speed.
I swayer, I miss the autobahn, especially A6 around Mannheim! I was stationed on Coleman Barracks!
Sponsored

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
22 years ago, it was my experience that the porches and ferraris were generally cruising around 100-120 mph....it was literally a little old lady in an ugly maroon Volvo wagon that would blow your doors off! True Story I had my 68 camaro ss over there and it topped out at 148.....very unsettling on the stock suspension! But I was doing over 120...thats all my speedo reads...and she flew by me shaking my car something crazy!. I would love to drive my 350 over there for a couple of weeks! Would have to get my German license renewed though lol

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I was in katterbach 97-99.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
22 years ago, it was my experience that the porches and ferraris were generally cruising around 100-120 mph....it was literally a little old lady in an ugly maroon Volvo wagon that would blow your doors off! True Story I had my 68 camaro ss over there and it topped out at 148.....very unsettling on the stock suspension! But I was doing over 120...thats all my speedo reads...and she flew by me shaking my car something crazy!. I would love to drive my 350 over there for a couple of weeks! Would have to get my German license renewed though lol
Older video, but you'll notice that the vehicle overtaken around min 2:16 is a minivan.

Sponsored

Triple-M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, Premium, AT
A while back I was on a strip of A61 around Mannheim and Hockenheim when I came upon a C63. After he realized he couldn't outpace the Shelby he moved aside and fell in behind me. Literally seconds later, an Aventador closed on us from behind. As we moved aside, rather than leaving us both in his vapor trail, he was gracious enough to ease in front of me to make a 3 car Autobahn parade.

I still kick myself for not having my dashcam up:
1) I would know what speed our "parade" was averaging. Nothing outrageous, but too fast to watch the speedometer, even on a Sunday--probably 240 kph or so average.;
2) I would have an awesome video of the Aventador exhaust breathing flames.

Fortunately, a properly adjusted hood won't shake at speed.
You don't see an Aventator on the Autobahn every day. I would also like a video of such a parade. Even with a GT you can drive hundreds of kilometers without seeing flasher behind you. The Mustang belongs to the faster fraction on the Autobahn. Especially in fast, bumpy Autobahnkurven, it's not just horsepower that counts, but also huge balls.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I wish I would have my GT over there now, when I was stationed, I had a 85 Supra. She would go, I had it retumed for Germany, but man, I would love to take the 350 out.

Was station in Frankfurt. 18th MP. 90~95

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Is that top speed for the GT350? I have seen unhinged E92 M3s hit almost 180mph. I know a lot of it is gearing and such. If you get a tune and unlock the DME and allow 8600rpm the car will hit 186mph in the E92. Still 172mph is moving.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
it depends. The R is a little slower. 172-3ish give or take...... the car wasn't built for a top end speed, it was designed to be a road course car. If they wanted more top end speed, they wouldn't have made 6th so tall and made it more of a pulling gear.

Sponsored

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
Stationed on Coleman 91~93, lived on the economy Neckarau ( Mannheim ) 96~2001
I was stationed in Baumholder from 97 to 00. First duty station, good times.

Older video, but you'll notice that the vehicle overtaken around min 2:16 is a minivan.
Not surprised. German vehicles are built for the Autobahn. You could be doing 120mph and a Renault Station Wagon with a family of 5 would pass you like you would be standing still.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Is that top speed for the GT350? I have seen unhinged E92 M3s hit almost 180mph. I know a lot of it is gearing and such. If you get a tune and unlock the DME and allow 8600rpm the car will hit 186mph in the E92. Still 172mph is moving.
Hard to tell if this is top speed. The Autobahn is not a closed or controlled environment.
- Although the traffic wasn't heavy on the strip he was driving on (near the Dutch border--you can see the sign for Nijmegen ("bridge too far") going toward Cologne) it also wasn't deserted. He was able to do pulls, but not really long, sustained open speed. When a car is 1 km or less in front of you, you're thinking about slowing down because it's less than 15 seconds from you.

- The Autobahn is not flat, so speed is influenced by its gradient. A few years back, a buddy with a Hellcat was determined to break 200mph. He would go out at night around 2300 when no traffic was around. He finally got to to 204 and held it for a spell. He wanted to be able to say he did it on a completely flat area, but had to settle for a slight decline.

- The car has been converted to meet German requirements, which (almost certainly) means some horsepower was compromised.

Not taking away from the impressive performance in the video. Just offering some context when it comes to what can (or should) be done on the Autobahn.
Sponsored