Gt350 head cam journal repair

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have a pair of heads that have a lot of scoring in the cam journals. Is this something a machine shop can repair? Or are they junk? Everything else looks good.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Material can be added through welding and then machined back down into spec. Now whether it's going to be worth it from a cost standpoint vs. just buying new heads, that's another question.

The other question I have is whether the scoring will cause a problem. Of course you are going to want to flush out the engine entirely and go through everything else. If debris got into the oiling system and messed up the heads, the crank and rod bearings are probably scored as well. Possibly the cams, crank and rods could have issues. Best to check everything over.

OP
OP

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Material can be added through welding and then machined back down into spec. Now whether it's going to be worth it from a cost standpoint vs. just buying new heads, that's another question.

The other question I have is whether the scoring will cause a problem. Of course you are going to want to flush out the engine entirely and go through everything else. If debris got into the oiling system and messed up the heads, the crank and rod bearings are probably scored as well. Possibly the cams, crank and rods could have issues. Best to check everything over.
yes. The crank, cams, 7 of the rods are trashed.
spun #1 cylinder rod bearing,

block appears to be ok. Might need a very light hone.
pulled the oil pump apart, the pump gears are not cracked. Not sure if the engine was starved of oil or what.
I bought the engine as a long block hoping the heads and block were Ok.

if the cost to repair the heads is too much, they could be used as cores for new heads.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

pulled the oil pump apart, the pump gears are not cracked. Not sure if the engine was starved of oil or what.

if the cost to repair the heads is too much, they could be used as cores for new heads.
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the repairs will go well. Like I said, I'm not sure whether a little scoring in the head cam journals is a huge problem or not.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

I had 2 sets of GT 350 heads that would have cost me a ton to repair .
One set had scored cam journals the other had broken cam caps .
I turned them in as core for ……..GT heads . Lol

ended paying under $900 per pair …. cost now is like $2500 without. score …

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
In my previous DOHC motors, even if a cam journal was repaired, there was medium confidence that it would last. As you're aware, there are no bearings here. I've had to trash some heads over it. For reference, in 2012, a new, complete Boss302 head (which isn't much different from what we have now) was $1000 per head and it seemed like a bargain.

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
While technically its possible to re-bore cam journals, find a engine machine shop that has the tools to do so. I have a friend that does some Coyotes for Super Stock drag cars and he couldn't find anyplace to machine them. He made his own fixture to do it....

My point is simply that while it's easy for us to come on here and say yah they can be fixed, finding someone that can actually do it is near impossible.
Sponsored