Sponsored

GT350/GT500 - Does the alcantara hold up?

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
Thinking about adding one of these wheels to my car. Love the way it looks and it would love to get away from the oem leather wheel that just doesn't "feel" nice. My question is how do these hold up over time?
Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I do believe you mean Alcantara

Richard

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Mind you, I do not have it on the steering wheel. But, my GT has the Carbon sport package with the seats and door inserts. Both are like new after 3 years and 41k miles. Especially my seats. I did not want the all leather because they all get deformed and wrinkled, plus get extremely hot on the heat, the Alcantara on my seats look immaculate. For steering wheels I have heard if you get sweaty hands, it can have a tole on it, but if you clean it well with quality products like sonax it will last a long time.

Richard

Sponsored

OP
OP

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
I have the Carbon Package as well and love the seats! I only have 6400 miles. It better still be looking good. LOL

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I have the Carbon Package as well and love the seats! I only have 6400 miles. It better still be looking good. LOL
I am a mechanic by trade and tend to sometimes have dirty hands. That prevents me from even thinking about putting it on a steering wheel.

Richard

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My steering wheel felt brand new at the 30k mile point.

If you clean your wheel even semi-regularly, like once every 1-4 months as was my experience, it'll look showroom fresh for a very long time. The people that complain about it are the ones that don't put any effort into cleaning it, or they use the wrong products, or they overscrub their fibers. I was fully prepared for my wheel to turn into matted Oreo but those concerns are overblown.

Invest in some Sonax and have a soft bristle brush on hand. Game changer.

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
An Alcantara steering wheel makes a big difference. When you think about it it's what you interact with most when driving. I installed the GT350R steering wheel at 2k miles and now after 24k miles I've only cleaned it once with Sonax Alcantara Cleaner and it still looks new.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Mind you, I do not have it on the steering wheel. But, my GT has the Carbon sport package with the seats and door inserts. Both are like new after 3 years and 41k miles. Especially my seats. I did not want the all leather because they all get deformed and wrinkled, plus get extremely hot on the heat, the Alcantara on my seats look immaculate. For steering wheels I have heard if you get sweaty hands, it can have a tole on it, but if you clean it well with quality products like sonax it will last a long time.

Richard
Alcantara is a italian brand of fabric I believe
Ford use a different brand/product called Miko
And yes it does hold very well on seat or trim panels
Not so much on steering wheel because it can get dirty pretty fast
Sponsored