Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Rick Titus was our Mustang introductory speaker when I was with Ford. He taught us the About the aerodynamics affecting the front wheel wells at high speed building up to 600 pounds and creating lift and that’s why the wheels were designed with an offset to be pumps to relieve up to 150 of those pounds by pumping the air out of the wheel wells with the wheels.Thus helping with downforce. As I look at my GT 350 it appears those side vents behind the wheels on each front fender helps relieve that pressure while creating a flow through to help cool the brakes ? What’s the experts out there saying about these besides looking awesome and fast ?
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Perfect timing. Just finished mine
Reducing high pressure around the tire will help for :
1. Cooling the brake better. (The air will flow faster. Cause no resistance of high pressure areas)
2. Optimize the air extraction from front diffuser (that i still dont have yet) but in general from the splitter.
Also some help to extract air from the radiator (cause lower pressure)
So slightly better in DF and better in cooling. Which is my issue.
They are paired with hood vents.
Good hood vents can add up to 40-50 lbs of downforce.

Go check the videos of AJ HARTMAN and racelouvers :)
Hope this help.
IMG_1591585300591.jpg
20200607_195719.jpg
20200607_195726.jpg
20200607_195734_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect timing. Just finished mine
Reducing high pressure around the tire will help for :
1. Cooling the brake better. (The air will flow faster. Cause no resistance of high pressure areas)
2. Optimize the air extraction from front diffuser (that i still dont have yet) but in general from the splitter.
Also some help to extract air from the radiator (cause lower pressure)
So slightly better in DF and better in cooling. Which is my issue.
They are paired with hood vents.
Good hood vents can add up to 40-50 lbs of downforce.

Go check the videos of AJ HARTMAN and racelouvers :)
Hope this help.
IMG_1591585300591.jpg
20200607_195719.jpg
20200607_195726.jpg
20200607_195734_HDR.jpg
As a side note I wonder how it works positive or negative to The Bernoulli effect?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
As a side note I wonder how it works positive or negative to The Bernoulli effect?
The bernoulli principle is based on pressure differential and air speed. For our car is important in case you have a real front splitter( in works in smaller numbers with a normal splitter too).
U create high pressure zone over the splitter and low pressure under. This differential is what will generate downforce (in reality is a little more complex but lets keep it simple. )
The air under the splitter is a low pressure air because the air speed is higher than the over the splitter air speed.
Around the tire you have a high pressure area( it is like a air wall..) So the air from under the splitter cannot go there.
Doing side fenders will release this high pressure around the tire. So the air under the splitter will find an easy way to get there and this will increase even more the air speed and of course increase low pressure. So the differential will be even bigger resulting in more downforce.
This effect os increased if your splitter presents front tunnel/front diffuser

The hood vents help for a similar principle.
You have tons of air stuck under the hood( coming from radiators)
And a low pressure area just above it. (Cause the curve of the hood itself)
This will generate lift( the hood is "pulled " to the low pressure area)
Putting hood vents will reduce a lot this pressure differential and so reducing lift.

Hope this help :)
Alex
20200525_134441_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Johnnydarkgt350

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The bernoulli principle is based on pressure differential and air speed. For our car is important in case you have a real front splitter( in works in smaller numbers with a normal splitter too).
U create high pressure zone over the splitter and low pressure under. This differential is what will generate downforce (in reality is a little more complex but lets keep it simple. )
The air under the splitter is a low pressure air because the air speed is higher than the over the splitter air speed.
Around the tire you have a high pressure area( it is like a air wall..) So the air from under the splitter cannot go there.
Doing side fenders will release this high pressure around the tire. So the air under the splitter will find an easy way to get there and this will increase even more the air speed and of course increase low pressure. So the differential will be even bigger resulting in more downforce.
This effect os increased if your splitter presents front tunnel/front diffuser

The hood vents help for a similar principle.
You have tons of air stuck under the hood( coming from radiators)
And a low pressure area just above it. (Cause the curve of the hood itself)
This will generate lift( the hood is "pulled " to the low pressure area)
Putting hood vents will reduce a lot this pressure differential and so reducing lift.

Hope this help :)
Alex
20200525_134441_HDR.jpg
Thanks for your knowledge and sharing in a layman’s term ; the sides also get either dead air or side Stabilizing pressure I was taught when I was with Toyota. It appears the veins are directing air down the sides of the coves of the new Mustang creating a stabilizing side pressure your take ??

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your knowledge and sharing in a layman’s term ; the sides also get either dead air or side Stabilizing pressure I was taught when I was with Toyota. It appears the veins are directing air down the sides of the coves of the new Mustang creating a stabilizing side pressure your take ??
The side is disturbed by the tire. That is why poking out tires too much can be aerodynamic not the best. Many people use some dam in front of the tire coming up from the splitter.
The side has higher pressure then under the car so in theory the high pressure(HP) will tend to go in the lower pressure from the side splitter area. (Where you see my italian flag)
this will disturb the under the car flow ro the rear diffuser slowing the air and reducing splitter performance. That is why mini skirts are great to seal the flow under the car.
Another thing is canards.
They dont add DF (Actually just a very little) but the create vortex to help seal the underbody flow creat low pressure area on the side of the car. Although their position should be very low.
There are nice videos on youtube you can watch.
Kyle engineer is a cool guy. Who designed many stuff for AJ HARTMAN aereo for mustangs.
IMG_20200606_150710_859.jpg

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The side is disturbed by the tire. That is why poking out tires too much can be aerodynamic not the best. Many people use some dam in front of the tire coming up from the splitter.
The side has higher pressure then under the car so in theory the high pressure(HP) will tend to go in the lower pressure from the side splitter area. (Where you see my italian flag)
this will disturb the under the car flow ro the rear diffuser slowing the air and reducing splitter performance. That is why mini skirts are great to seal the flow under the car.
Another thing is canards.
They dont add DF (Actually just a very little) but the create vortex to help seal the underbody flow creat low pressure area on the side of the car. Although their position should be very low.
There are nice videos on youtube you can watch.
Kyle engineer is a cool guy. Who designed many stuff for AJ HARTMAN aereo for mustangs.
IMG_20200606_150710_859.jpg
Can we get an overhead shot of that rear wing please?