Sponsored

GT350 Extended Warranty consideration.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
It's based on the in-service date of the car. So, a 7 year plan really only gives you 4 more years after the factory 3/36 ends.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's based on the in-service date of the car. So, a 7 year plan really only gives you 4 more years after the factory 3/36 ends.
^^^ That is correct (most don’t realize that very important fact).

ESP’s (Ford or 3rd Party) is a “sale”, it’s extra $$$ bagged by the Seller (Ford and it’s Sales Team) and most consumers just don’t read what is being offered for the $$$. They just hear “extended warranty” and think the plan starts AFTER the 3/36 and 5/60 expires, not true.

—-

I have an extended warranty (Up to 120k miles) that was offered through my Credit Union. It’s a Nationwide Warranty accepted by Ford and many other vehicle manufacturers. It offers the same coverage as the Ford ESP’s with same deductibles.

The only reason I opted for it is because:
1) My weekly distance traveled is 500mi, excluding any weekend driving.
2) I expect to own the vehicle longer than 5 years.

Why the above two facts matter most:
1) I’ll have burned through the factory 3/36 faster than most.
2) If owning the car longer than 5 years, I’ll have also burned up the factory 5/60 Powertrain Warranty.

At that point, I’ll still have a buffer after the 60k (2/60) to cover any possible issues (if any).

So for ME (and folks in a similar position), an extended warranty is well worth the money. For folks who mothball their vehicles or barely use them, an extended warranty is pointless, as that type of owner may not ever use or kill the warranty with accrued miles, but by the time something does fail on their ride, the “years” part of the warranty would have expired far sooner than accrued miles...

Another thing to know (most don’t):
A) The factory 5/60 Powertrain covers the engine, the trans and the rear. If you read the actual coverage, it’s a very good comprehensive warranty EVEN AFTER the 3/36 has expired.

B) As previously mentioned, the Ford ESP (and most others) run concurrently with the factory 3/36 and 5/60. Meaning, if you have an ESP and the vehicle is still under the 3/36 OR 5/60, the factory warranty takes precedence over the ESP. So think of it this way, if a person buys a 7/75k ESP, they’re really only buying a 2/15.... is that money well spent? NO... because 2 years or 15k after the 5/60 will be zapped pretty quickly.

C) With B above in mind, if buying an ESP (be it Ford or any 3rd party), if you’re going to keep the car longer than 5 years, opt for the longest term ESP. I think the longest term avail through Ford is the 8/150k... Essentially again, you would be buying a 3/90, since the ESP would kick in AFTER the 5/60 expired.

Gotta watch what is being sold to you regarding any ESP. Also it’s not what is covered in those plans, it what’s is NOT covered, so read ALL of the FINE PRINT. Many people think because they bought an ESP, they’re free and clear of owing any $$$ for a so called “warranty” repair.... then get whammied with a repair bill because their ESP didn’t cover certain parts or labor that was outlined in the fine print.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
^^^ That is correct (most don’t realize that very important fact).

ESP’s (Ford or 3rd Party) is a “sale”, it’s extra $$$ bagged by the Seller (Ford and it’s Sales Team) and most consumers just don’t read what is being offered for the $$$. They just hear “extended warranty” and think the plan starts AFTER the 3/36 and 5/60 expires, not true.

—-

I have an extended warranty (Up to 120k miles) that was offered through my Credit Union. It’s a Nationwide Warranty accepted by Ford and many other vehicle manufacturers. It offers the same coverage as the Ford ESP’s with same deductibles.

The only reason I opted for it is because:
1) My weekly distance traveled is 500mi, excluding any weekend driving.
2) I expect to own the vehicle longer than 5 years.

Why the above two facts matter most:
1) I’ll have burned through the factory 3/36 faster than most.
2) If owning the car longer than 5 years, I’ll have also burned up the factory 5/60 Powertrain Warranty.

At that point, I’ll still have a buffer after the 60k (2/60) to cover any possible issues (if any).

So for ME (and folks in a similar position), an extended warranty is well worth the money. For folks who mothball their vehicles or barely use them, an extended warranty is pointless, as that type of owner may not ever use or kill the warranty with accrued miles, but by the time something does fail on their ride, the “years” part of the warranty would have expired far sooner than accrued miles...

Another thing to know (most don’t):
A) The factory 5/60 Powertrain covers the engine, the trans and the rear. If you read the actual coverage, it’s a very good comprehensive warranty EVEN AFTER the 3/36 has expired.

B) As previously mentioned, the Ford ESP (and most others) run concurrently with the factory 3/36 and 5/60. Meaning, if you have an ESP and the vehicle is still under the 3/36 OR 5/60, the factory warranty takes precedence over the ESP. So think of it this way, if a person buys a 7/75k ESP, they’re really only buying a 2/15.... is that money well spent? NO... because 2 years or 15k after the 5/60 will be zapped pretty quickly.

C) With B above in mind, if buying an ESP (be it Ford or any 3rd party), if you’re going to keep the car longer than 5 years, opt for the longest term ESP. I think the longest term avail through Ford is the 8/150k... Essentially again, you would be buying a 3/90, since the ESP would kick in AFTER the 5/60 expired.

Gotta watch what is being sold to you regarding any ESP. Also it’s not what is covered in those plans, it what’s is NOT covered, so read ALL of the FINE PRINT. Many people think because they bought an ESP, they’re free and clear of owing any $$$ for a so called “warranty” repair.... then get whammied with a repair bill because their ESP didn’t cover certain parts or labor that was outlined in the fine print.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Sponsored