GT350 Extended Warranty consideration.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I have GT350 2019 purchased in September 3rd 2019. I consider buying extended warranty. But confused when should I buy it. My understanding the warranty mostly needed for Powertrain warranty which is already 60 months/60K miles. Can you guys provide valuable feedback on when is it wise to purchase extended warranty?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

tsaints1115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tracey
Vehicle(s)
1969 Cougar, 2014 F150
I have ,in the past, shopped online for a Ford Factory extended warranty. There's Ford dealers out there happy to sell them at a discounted price. It's a quick profit for them with none of the work of trying to sell it.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I bought my used 2016 2 weeks before the 3/36 ran out and then purchased the extended warranty. As long as you get it before the 3/36 expires you can get it much cheaper. I bought the most coverage I could, which given all the issues with A/C and 5600 unknown miles I figured it was a good move to make.... Frustrating after the original owner found me a year later and we've talked many times about the car, and the fact he regrets getting rid of it. He had full details on the care of the car as well as how it did on oil consumption. I would recommend waiting till just before you 3/36 runs out in the event you sell the car or get confidence in it that you can save the money.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
You need to purchase it before the factory standard warranty expires. However the closer to the factory warranty expiring, the price will likely be higher.

Some states permit warranty price negotiations and purchasing across state lines. Some states do not. In Florida, our warranty prices are fixed no matter who sells it to you and you cannot purchase from an out of state vendor. Check your state policies.

Sponsored

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
In Florida, our warranty prices are fixed no matter who sells it to you and you cannot purchase from an out of state vendor. Check your state policies.
I did not know this, good to know. Thanks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Also to remember with ANY of the Ford ESP or Maintenance Plans:

They all run concurrently with the factory 3/36 and start as of the original vehicle purchase date - NOT after the 3/36 expires. When you go in for any Warranty claim during the 3/36, the 3/36 provisions takes precedence over the ESP - meaning during the 3/36, the ESP is pretty much worthless.

So for instance - someone buys a Ford 7/75k ESP. Since it runs concurrently with the 3/36, that Owner really bought a 4/39k - or whichever comes first (4 years or 39k). So after the 3/36 expires you have 4 years or 39k of Warranty “use”.

If buying ANY ESP, the best to buy would be the one that has the highest year/mileage offer (the highest currently offered by Ford is an 8/150k).

Another note:
The complete Powertrain (rear/trans/engine) is covered by the Ford New Car 3/36 and when that expires, is covered under the 5/60. So even if you don’t buy an ESP, the drivetrain is still covered under the 5/60 after the 3/36 expires (essentially, you would have 2/24k left for Powertrain Coverage).

When buying any ESP - deciding factor should be:
How long are you going to retain the vehicle and how often are you using it?

If you’re one to mothball a vehicle and hardly drive it - the ESP is essentially worthless, because you won’t “use” it and by the time you would, the plan would have expired by its defined term in years.

So there’s some food for thought....

Last edited:

GAGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1983 S10 Sport Pickup

They all run concurrently with the factory 3/36 and start as of the original vehicle purchase date - NOT after the 3/36 expires. When you go in for any Warranty claim during the 3/36, the 3/36 provisions takes precedence over the ESP - meaning during the 3/36, the ESP is pretty much worthless.

So for instance - someone buys a Ford 7/75k ESP. Since it runs concurrently with the 3/36, that Owner really bought a 4/39k - or whichever comes first (4 years or 39k). So after the 3/36 expires you have 4 years or 39k of Warranty “use”.

If buying ANY ESP, the best to buy would be the one that has the highest year/mileage offer (the highest currently offered by Ford is an 8/150k).

Another note:
The complete Powertrain (rear/trans/engine) is covered by the Ford New Car 3/36 and when that expires, is covered under the 5/60. So even if you don’t buy an ESP, the drivetrain is still covered under the 5/60 after the 3/36 expires (essentially, you would have 2/24k left for Powertrain Coverage).

When buying any ESP - decoding factor should be:
How long are you going to retain the vehicle and how often rate you using it?

If you’re one to mothball a vehicle and hardly drive it - the ESP is essentially worthless, because you won’t “use” it and by the time you would, the plan would have expired by its defined term in years.

Good info., thanks

Sponsored

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver

Another note:

When buying any ESP - deciding factor should be:
How long are you going to retain the vehicle and how often are you using it?

Thanks for this information. I just assumed they were extensions past your regular factory warranty until I read this.

I'm looking to buy a 2020 GT350R sometime in the next 7 months. So the engine will be covered until 2025, so wouldn't it be smarter to purchase a ESP later on maybe in 2024 to actually extend my coverage instead of wasting most of it by getting it when I purchase the car?

Baxter3221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350R, '16 X5M
Thanks for this information. I just assumed they were extensions past your regular factory warranty until I read this.

I'm looking to buy a 2020 GT350R sometime in the next 7 months. So the engine will be covered until 2025, so wouldn't it be smarter to purchase a ESP later on maybe in 2024 to actually extend my coverage instead of wasting most of it by getting it when I purchase the car?
The coverage is cheaper for newer cars so that's the benefit. You'll "waste" the time either way (if you buy a 7 year plan immediately, or in 2023, you're still only covered to 2027), but the difference is if you buy the plan now and sell the car in 2023, you would have gotten no value.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
The coverage is cheaper for newer cars so that's the benefit. You'll "waste" the time either way (if you buy a 7 year plan immediately, or in 2023, you're still only covered to 2027), but the difference is if you buy the plan now and sell the car in 2023, you would have gotten no value.
If I got a 7 year plan in 2024, why wouldn't it last until 2031?

Baxter3221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350R, '16 X5M
If I got a 7 year plan in 2024, why wouldn't it last until 2031?
It's based on the in-service date of the car. So, a 7 year plan really only gives you 4 more years after the factory 3/36 ends.
Sponsored