Sponsored

GT350 Base shocks Vs FRPP Shocks

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
Has anyone done a comparo?

I was looking at the stock spring rates of a Base gt350 and theoretically Base gt350 shocks should be able to handle some stiff "GT" lowering springs

I can't seem to find what the Spring rates are for the FRPP set is, I wonder if its just Stock Base gt350 springs and shocks.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sub'd. Curious also.

Also wondering what would be a good rear shock match with the front GT350 strut.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
FRPP are not far off the GT350 monotubes. The rear FRPP shocks would be a good match since you cannot use base GT350 monotubes on the normal GT control arms. The mounting points and pocket are very different.

OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
im pretty sure the shock mounting point is the same just the spring pockets are setup for lh and rh springs

I also found an ebay store parting out gt350s, could pick up the rear lower arms and knuckles for cheap, it looks like it would be affordable to swap to full gt350 base suspension.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
im pretty sure the shock mounting point is the same just the spring pockets are setup for lh and rh springs

I also found an ebay store parting out gt350s, could pick up the rear lower arms and knuckles for cheap, it looks like it would be affordable to swap to full gt350 base suspension.
It's not, I can assure you. The mounting hole spacing and opening for the shock bottom in the control arm are different. You'd need to get the GT350 lower arms to use those dampers (and then the counter-wound springs on the RH side too).

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Has anyone done a comparo?

I was looking at the stock spring rates of a Base gt350 and theoretically Base gt350 shocks should be able to handle some stiff "GT" lowering springs

I can't seem to find what the Spring rates are for the FRPP set is, I wonder if its just Stock Base gt350 springs and shocks.
GTPP springs are 165 lb/in front, 728 lb/in rear.
GT350 springs are 194 lb/in front, 914 lb/in rear.

Steeda progressive "curb" rates are 190 front, 720 rear. That's what I'm running now, the ride and handling is great. Effective rear rate is a bit higher due to LCA bushing bind, no clue what that adds, doubt it's more than maybe 50 lb/in.

That said, I want the ass lower and I think the car can handle more spring in the back, so I'm switching to their adjustable rear springs and spherical LCA bushings. That should bring it to about 930 lb/in curb in the rear which brings front and rear rates more or less in line with the GT350. If the PP shocks can't handle it then I'll consider upgrading, but I suspect it'll be fine. I'll know for sure after the next event.

FWIW the GT350R uses the same 914 lb/in rear spring, but ups the front to 240 lb/in. This may be due to more aero in the front, better brakes, probably some combination. The 900ish range seems like the sweet spot for handling in the rear, but most aftermarket lowering springs are closer to 800 lb/in. rear, so 900 may be a bit much for the PP dampers. I haven't found any shock dyno information on them, but it's easy to swap the rear shocks if needed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
GTPP springs are 165 lb/in front, 728 lb/in rear.
GT350 springs are 194 lb/in front, 914 lb/in rear.

Steeda progressive "curb" rates are 190 front, 720 rear. That's what I'm running now, the ride and handling is great. Effective rear rate is a bit higher due to LCA bushing bind, no clue what that adds, doubt it's more than maybe 50 lb/in.

That said, I want the ass lower and I think the car can handle more spring in the back, so I'm switching to their adjustable rear springs and spherical LCA bushings. That should bring it to about 930 lb/in curb in the rear which brings front and rear rates more or less in line with the GT350. If the PP shocks can't handle it then I'll consider upgrading, but I suspect it'll be fine. I'll know for sure after the next event.

FWIW the GT350R uses the same 914 lb/in rear spring, but ups the front to 240 lb/in. This may be due to more aero in the front, better brakes, probably some combination. The 900ish range seems like the sweet spot for handling in the rear, but most aftermarket lowering springs are closer to 800 lb/in. rear, so 900 may be a bit much for the PP dampers. I haven't found any shock dyno information on them, but it's easy to swap the rear shocks if needed.
You'll need a better shock going up in spring rate that much.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Yeah, probably. Not sure if I want the Steeda pro-action (or whatever they call it) or Konis or something else I've used before.
You will be extremely happy with the Steeda adjustable Pro-Action Shocks and Struts. We have done extensive testing with the spring rates you have discussed using.

The best,

Steeda Tech

OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
thanks ALECCOLIN I was surching for that information for a while. Looks like to get the spring rates I want I'll probably be swapping to full gt350 suspension with some used arms from eBay.
Sponsored