Sponsored

GT350 article on weight, price, Z28

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
thought just crossed my mind. deck height. 8.937 in (coyote/voodoo) vs 10.079 in (trinity)
cylinder is little over 1" longer.

oh well.

Last edited:

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
From the SAE article...
"While Ford did not announce curb weight (or other key specs, including power and torque ratings) during the car’s L.A. show reveal, Raj Nair earlier told Automotive Engineering that he expected the GT350 will come in “slightly lighter than the current base Mustang GT—3618 lb (1641 kg) with a manual transmission."

http://articles.sae.org/13712/

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I have not heard any rumors about the 5.2 being smaller or lighter. The crankshaft will be lighter due to less counterbalance weight, but the rest of the engine is likely about the same size as the 5.0. Sounds like it has essentially the same stroke, which means probably the same deck height and width. It will fit the modular tooling requirement of 100mm bore spacing, so the length will be about the same. Would they go to titanium rods to allow the higher speed? Doubt it, but if they did it would save some weight. Still, not seeing a whole lot being taken out of the engine.
A day ago, I would have sworn on my grandmother's grave that someone from Ford had clearly stated that the 5.2-L would be lighter than the Coyote 5.0-L as a result of the FPC and some other weight-saving bits. It was in an article (I *think* on autoblog?) posted on this very forum.

I can't find it for the life of me now, but I KNOW I saw it... I think? Maybe I'm just going crazy if no one else knows what I'm talking about.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
I just noticed this:

"He said that while steering may not be quite as nimble-feeling as that of the 2.3-L Ecoboost Mustang (lighter in front and thus better balanced)..."

...I mean maybe it would still be like 75 lbs more up front or something, but that wouldn't be very noticeable, would it?...
You're probably right.

It's hard for me to comment, when both the article's author and myself haven't driving the GT350, but I will... GT350 will hand better than EB. :D

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
From the SAE article...
"While Ford did not announce curb weight (or other key specs, including power and torque ratings) during the car’s L.A. show reveal, Raj Nair earlier told Automotive Engineering that he expected the GT350 will come in “slightly lighter than the current base Mustang GT—3618 lb (1641 kg) with a manual transmission."

http://articles.sae.org/13712/

That article is a bit suspect due to how they quoted a base GT at 3,618lbs even though Ford themselves claimed 3,705lbs.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Maybe SAE actually weighed a car. Don't forget that Ford and the OEMs are required to use a calculation for quoting weight that includes a certain amount of standard equipment based on sales. It is very easy to not check anything on the options sheet and beat the advertised weight on ANY new car.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Maybe SAE actually weighed a car. Don't forget that Ford and the OEMs are required to use a calculation for quoting weight that includes a certain amount of standard equipment based on sales. It is very easy to not check anything on the options sheet and beat the advertised weight on ANY new car.

3,618 lbs is the quoted curb weight of the 2014 GT, though.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
That article is a bit suspect due to how they quoted a base GT at 3,618lbs even though Ford themselves claimed 3,705lbs.
for what it's worth '14 GT was 3,618lbs.

Either, writer googled the incorrect info or Raj Nair was speaking in terms of '11-14. Most of design and development was done in those years so it's a possibility it's stuck in his mind. Although, logically he should and probably does speak in terms of '15 GT. Hard to tell, it's an open quote, no " to denote where Raj Nair's words end.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
A day ago, I would have sworn on my grandmother's grave that someone from Ford had clearly stated that the 5.2-L would be lighter than the Coyote 5.0-L as a result of the FPC and some other weight-saving bits. It was in an article (I *think* on autoblog?) posted on this very forum.

I can't find it for the life of me now, but I KNOW I saw it... I think? Maybe I'm just going crazy if no one else knows what I'm talking about.
Nah, you're not crazy. It will likely be a bit lighter, mostly because of the lighter crankshaft, as was stated previously. Also possible they are using lighter weight rods and other internal bits to support the high RPMs.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-mustang-gt350-performance-estimates-how-quick-is-a-flat-snake/

Specific details on the new Mustang GT350 are few and far between. We know it’s Mustang-based (duh), has a six-speed manual, and has a flat-crank 5.2-liter V-8. Real engine specifications are still kept behind closed doors in Dearborn. This marketing-driven trickle of information isn’t by mistake, nor is it going to stop us from making a prediction of straight-line performance. This is, after all, the rejuvenation of a seriously historic nameplate and, as Ford says, the 5.2 is most powerful naturally aspirated street engine it has ever made.

To make an educated guess—frankly, that’s what our estimates are—we need to know a number of specifications, but the bare minimum is power and mass. What little we know of the new 5.2-liter V-8 is the kind of stuff that makes us weak in the knees. For starters, the flat-crank mill sports a redline of 8200 rpm. That’s a botched downshift from matching Ferrari’s 4.5-liter V-8 in the 458 Italia. Ford makes the vague claim of “more than 500 horsepower,” and peak torque of “above 400 pound-feet.” We’d bet the power will trump the Camaro Z/28’s 505, and it’ll likely be a round number. Don’t be surprised if the engine makes 525 horsepower. For the sake of these forthcoming estimates, though, let’s call it a conservative 510.

The curb weight of the GT350 is another story. Basing our curb-weight estimate on the regular, comparo- and 10Best-winning 3810-pound GT is a given. It’s a known quantity. However, there are a lot of changes that will change weight. For the first time ever, Ford is employing magnetorheological dampers in one of its cars. These dampers will add some weight, and while it won’t be much, they are definitely heavier (including all the supporting doodads) than the GT’s dampers. The extra mass is well worth the added benefit of continuously variable damping, which may improve launch traction and will almost certainly improve upon the ride/handling balance that the GT nearly masters. Also, the GT350’s front brakes measure 15.5 inches in diameter and the rears are just 0.5 inch smaller. These are not lightweight carbon-ceramic rotors, but rather iron friction surfaces with an aluminum hat. Either way, they are adding mass to the straight-line equation.

But there will certainly be some lighter materials in the mix. The 5.2-liter V-8’s flat-plane crank should save a few pounds. Ford confirmed there is no speed governor on the GT350, so the driveshaft has the potential to spin mega fast in overdrive. Maybe not the 200-mph Ford claimed for the old GT500, but 185 mph is within reach. There is a distinct possibility that the GT500’s carbon-fiber driveshaft is currently spinning underneath development mules, which will save a few pounds.

So, some bits will be heavier and others lighter. For our estimate, we’re giving the GT350 a 10-pound gift, but it’s essentially a wash with the manual GT at 3800 pounds.

Finally, how quick will this snake be? With 510 horsepower accelerating 3800 pounds of GT350, we think it’ll hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds, 100 mph in 8.7 seconds, and break the quarter-mile tape in 12.1 seconds. That’s just a bit quicker than the best run we ever recorded for the Boss 302 (which was for an unpublished test). Now, these are conservative estimates. If the Ford manages to come in 100 pounds lighter at the curb, the GT350 could be a car that cracks into the 11-second range. However it shakes out, one thing is certain: You’ll be the first to know when we get the chance to quantify the GT350’s performance.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
^^^
They failed to mention bits like the aluminum hood. Ford has already stated that the GT350 will weigh less than the GT, right? We just don't know by how much?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
^^^
They failed to mention bits like the aluminum hood. Ford has already stated that the GT350 will weigh less than the GT, right? We just don't know by how much?

I'm not really sure Ford will ever say anything like that. They will always be vague with their wording until the car is released.

FYI the regular GT already has an aluminum hood and front fenders.
Sponsored