Sponsored

GT vs M4 for DD Duty

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Has anyone owned both or have a fair amount of seat time to compare these? I know they're both fast and handle well but I'm more interested in a comparison of ride quality/comfort and road/tire noise when just going about daily business and driving in normal traffic.
Sponsored

TnGT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500
For DD I'd look initial price and also cost of regular maintenance.I sure your going to pay a premium for BMW servicing.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
More accurately the first 40k service is paid up front. Current state of marketing, nothing is free. I would call it included. BMW leads the pack on leased vehicles.

That means its still free...in fact it was costing BMW an arm and a leg. As for 2017 BWM free maintenance is now only for 3 years, 36k miles. It doesn't include and brakes anymore. The old one used to include brakes. Also, whether you lease or buy you get the free maintenance.

Back to the OP, the M4 has real back seats while the Mustang rear seats are almost as bad as my 911 was. You can fit a 6'2" person in the back of a M4, try that with a Mustang. Other than that I think they are pretty much a wash.

Dave

Arrowsigns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadi-Mustang-Silvarado-
10-4 leased or buying the maintenance is included. Only pointing out to the op that leasing is a very popular option if considering BMW.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
A 2015 BMW M4 with 13,000 miles on it is listing for $63,500 (cargurus.com is listing this as a "fair" deal).

I just built a 2017 BMW M4 on bmwusa.com:
3.0 liter, inline 6-cylinder with M TwinPower Turbo Technology
BASE MSRP$66,200
Mineral White Metallic $700
Black Full Merino Leather $3,500
Carbon Fiber Interior Trim with Black Chrome highlight $0
Competition Package $4,750
Manual Transmission $0
Apple CarPlay Compatibility $300
Destination & Handling: $995

Total MSRP as Built $76,445

2017 Mustang GT/PP (new) for $39,000 all day long.

$36,920 Base MSRP
$3,790 Total of Options
$900 Destination Charges
$41,610 Total MSRP

2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback, 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 Engine, 6-Speed Manual Transmission
5.0L Ti-VCT V8 Engine
6-Speed Manual Transmission
$2,995 GT Performance Package
$795 Voice-Activated Navigation System

These cars are not even in the same ball park price wise.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hey if you have the money, for a DD why don't you go with a jaguar ftype s awd? That would be a car to own. AWD and luxury combined, i think it comes with stick shift as well.

OP
OP

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Hey if you have the money, for a DD why don't you go with a jaguar ftype s awd? That would be a car to own. AWD and luxury combined, i think it comes with stick shift as well.
I'd thought of that too. Test drove one and found it to be more comfortable than I imagined, although it was probably no more than a 20 minute drive. Even though the GT backseat isn't big, it's better than nothing. I don't think I could live with a two seater long term. Not sure I trust Jag reliability either.

Did some more reading on the M4 and it seems the competition package sorted out the suspension nicely. Guess I'll have to take both it and the GT out for extended drives. Only way to tell.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've driven both, including an M2 (if you wanted something a little more in the price range of a GT). The M4 is an outstanding execution, if you know M cars, you know what you're getting and the DCT doesn't have a Mustang equivalent.

Outside of the DCT, BMW offers a few more options in the "convenience" area, a little better materials here and there, none of these are significant.

However, ~2x the price I can't handle - and it's not a financial issue, I'm just very driven by value and a bit frugal in the car department, especially since my car sees very low usage, and mostly in a 10 mile area around my house.

Additionally, I feel more affinity towards a Mustang than a BMW. Same goes for the Jaguar (or Mercedes), they just don't "click" with my personality, lifestyle, mojo ... whatever you want to call it. The Mustang SOUNDS glorious too, that's something the M car will never equal, and with a few bolt ons, the GT is a STELLAR performer.

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
IMO: GT + F/I > M4 > Stock GT.

If you're planning on modding either car, I'd recommend the GT + a Whipple. That would be one hell of a DD.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

No back seats with the FType..that negates any DD IMHO.
Sponsored