Sponsored

Update: pulled the trigger - GT Perf Pack 2 - ride quality???

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check Austin, Dallas, San Antonio if you don’t really want a PP2 car, or use the Ford site to try to locate a car that suits you. No need to buy a PP2 just because that’s what’s in stock nearby. If ride is a major concern (and I get it, houston roads...), the PP2 springs are on the stiff side for most people. It would be a shame to buy a PP2 and then be unhappy with the ride, and paying more money to soften it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
you said it, there is more to the PP1 than just springs. The diff is a big deal, the brakes... if he’s considering a PP2 you don’t expect him to step down to a base car, do you?
Correct, extra cooling in Houston is never a bad thing! Plus the brembos are a good upgrade...

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Check Austin, Dallas, San Antonio if you don’t really want a PP2 car, or use the Ford site to try to locate a car that suits you. No need to buy a PP2 just because that’s what’s in stock nearby. If ride is a major concern (and I get it, houston roads...), the PP2 springs are on the stiff side for most people. It would be a shame to buy a PP2 and then be unhappy with the ride, and paying more money to soften it.
I've checked all of texas... slim pickings due to covid right now

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I don't have a PP2 car but a PP1 car with the FRPP Track suspension kit and even with this kit which the spring rate is coming close to the GT350 is still very streetable. In fact it isn't even as stiff as my BMW E92 M3 was in sport mode.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a 2020 PP2 and I think it rides great, I don't have any issues with it at all. Of course, i only have about 150 miles on it so far. My prior car was a 2017 GT PP1. Yes, it is a little firmer, especially in track mode, but I don't find normal mode that much different then my 2017. I even expected a lot of tramlining with the 305/30 tires. My 2017 had 275/40r19 square setup and I think my 2017 tramlines worse then the PP2. Of course, I live in a city with half way decent roads, could be part of it.

Doug

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
@HoustonGT chances are the tire pressures were at like 40psi for your test drive. The dealers are terrible and usually just leave all the cars at their transport pressures. That might help a small amount.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
@HoustonGT chances are the tire pressures were at like 40psi for your test drive. The dealers are terrible and usually just leave all the cars at their transport pressures. That might help a small amount.

It was the opposite for me...it was to low.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Hey, i am close to buying a mustang with the performane package 2 with magnaride. It has the pilot cup tires and wide wheels. Plus the track suspension.

How's normal cruising with that setup? I know its setup for a road course, is daily driving going to suck? Looking for opinions before i buy.

I wont track it, its the only manual with magnaride and the other options i want around due to covid. Will super sport 4S's help with ride quality vs the cup 2'?
The PP2 is fine for DD'g and great for canyon carving. I take mine to work 1 or 2 days/week.

Don't know about the 4s's - however know that they are heavier than Cup 2s. And PP2 rims are boat anchors. Tramlining - not ride quality - is the issue with PSC2s.

The only mods for my PP2 were : 1) dedicated E85 tune and 2) I spent ~$4K on a decent set of forged wheels (NES FG-08). These probably shaved close to 60# of unsprung weight off the car (I continued to use PSC2s).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...termarket-wheels-and-tires.15709/post-2962377

GUSTOPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The ride quality is good. As said tramlining, road noise, and EVERY pebble getting thrown into the wheel wells and all over the place is crazy. They are crazy sticky though and amazing. I DD mine(meaning 12k miles a year plus) and once I replaced them with a step down Michelin(forgot the exact name of them) it was MUCH more suited to DD. To DD with Cup 2's(I mean really DD) That would get $$$$$ really quick. Plus in the rain they are like ice skates(in Dallas if that matters). The slightly less aggressive tire made the DD ride much MUCH better for me personally. Like night and day. Yes I give up some MEGA grip from the Cup 2's but I will take the trade off. Replacing Cup 2's every 5-8k miles and whites knuckle grip in heavy rain while going 30.. sucks. But I do still have the Cup 2's and may track it next year and of course slap them back on. I have been looking at some Forged wheels as well at about 10 pounds less per wheel in the exact same spec. Anyway. Sorry for the rambling. Short answer. Ride is good with Cup 2's but sketchy in some situations.. with slightly less aggressive tires it is a perfect DD car for me and replacing them at 20k miles a pop instead of every 5-8k miles(sometimes twice a year for me!) Is nice!

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I test drove the pp1 and pp2. The pp2 drove smoother imo. The car really hugged the road in a smooth and comfortable sort of way. I'm sure the pp2 magneride tune is softer with stiffer springs. The pp1 with magneride is much firmer. It's pretty smooth but noticeably firmer. Driving a pp1 on sport is a stiff ride. I bought the Ford performance magneride handling package and flashed the magneride tune first and it was noticeably softer and smoother. My back no longer hurt after driving in sport for long periods of time. I installed the springs and sway bars for the drop and handling improvement but it's still nice. If I had to do it again, I'd wait for a pp2. I got the pp1 because I got such a great deal on it and the pp2s were still new and selling for MSRP.

In short, I thought the pp2 rode really well and I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing it given the opportunity. The only thing I would save are those tires.

Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I thought the magnaride added some ride quality as well as performance? Although i wont track it, i do enjoy pushing cars when i can. It wouldnt be a total waste, just wondering if PP1 would be better for me by providing better comfort aling with some higher suspension performance...
The magneride definitely improves the ride quality both in comfort and performance. I test drove a pp1 with and without magneride over some uneven roads and bumps. The magneride evened out much quicker while non magneride had a bouncy effect. That instantly sold me. I also drove the pp2. See my post about that above.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
IMO the PP2 is not noticeably harsher than the GT or PP1, and handles significantly better. I don't DD my car, but have 7,500 miles on the cup 2s, and expect to get another 7,500 out of them. Unless you are doing burnouts from every stop, or melting them in every corner, they will last significantly longer than most think. Yes they are noisy, tramline, and are not well suited for cold or rain, but the grip is incomparable. That said, I would not hesitate to put PS4Ss on the car and DD it. For frame of reference, I would daily the cup 2s, but that's just me, and I value the performance for canyon carving over DD comfort and convenience.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
depends really if you want to buy vs build. Except for the Magneride everything else can be bought. Instead of the meh PP1 radiator for the same (or less money) you can get a real, radiator and a real oil cooler. If you wait for the Mach1 you get a real transmission and a diff cooler. For even excessive street driving the 4-pots are plenty. Though I like them so much I put the 6-pots on my EB.

Ford Magride is "decent" but nothing special. For good Magride you have to get a Chevolet. Or a better MR tune than Ford issues.

The PP2 wheels are heavy and trivially replaced with units that look dang similar and weigh less for $1000 or less if you catch a sale.

If you want a good handling dual-purpose (HPDE/Autocross and street DD) there are several well established answers that come in considerably under the $1600 up-charge. The MR-equipped non-GT350 cars are perfectly competent, just not great. You're coming from a Caymen GTS which is several steps up the food chain. Prepare to be underwhelmed I'm afraid.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
depends really if you want to buy vs build. Except for the Magneride everything else can be bought. Instead of the meh PP1 radiator for the same (or less money) you can get a real, radiator and a real oil cooler. If you wait for the Mach1 you get a real transmission and a diff cooler. For even excessive street driving the 4-pots are plenty. Though I like them so much I put the 6-pots on my EB.

Ford Magride is "decent" but nothing special. For good Magride you have to get a Chevolet. Or a better MR tune than Ford issues.

The PP2 wheels are heavy and trivially replaced with units that look dang similar and weigh less for $1000 or less if you catch a sale.

If you want a good handling dual-purpose (HPDE/Autocross and street DD) there are several well established answers that come in considerably under the $1600 up-charge. The MR-equipped non-GT350 cars are perfectly competent, just not good. You're coming from a Caymen GTS which is several steps up the food chain. Prepare to be underwhelmed I'm afraid.
I think you're a little too harsh, sure the Mustang lineup lends itself more to the DD side of things than the handling side, but it's not that bad. If you're hitting a canyon road to work every single day, that might change the argument some, but for most people who are driving around in town 90% of the time, the Mustang gets the balance just right. Maybe I'm not hitting illegal enough speeds on my canyon runs, but I'm happy even with the base suspension, which says a lot given the two cars I owned prior were great handling cars that I set up specifically for autocross. But then again, different strokes for different folks. When you have an SS 1LE I can understand being more critical.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I have a 2020 Mustang GT PP1 with MagneRide and let me say that it's a night and day difference compared to a non MagneRide. When I was looking to buy a mustang a local dealer let me take the cars home so I could test drive it to work and back. I'm in south florida and while most roads as are good we do have some shitty ones too. Well the base Mustang didnt cut it for me, while it drove fine on smooth roads it wasnt the greatest when going over uneven/crappy roads, to much bounce. The PP1 non MagneRide was to stiff and I felt every single road imperfection as the end of my drive my back was somewhat aching. At this point I was almost ready to stop test driving these cars because I have back issues and I could not drive a car that I would not be able to DD and enjoy the car. So I went to a Dodge dealer to test drive a 392 Charger that had every option including MagneRide, I was very impressed with the ride quality but not the look of the car so I went back to the Ford dealer to see about test driving the PP1 with MagneRide. After my test drive to work and back which I did take it through some shitty roads I was very impressed. Also my back wasnt aching/sore after seating in the car for almost 1.5 hours. Now my issues was finding a Mustang that had all the options I wanted which that was a mission on it's own but after some searching I Found it. I got my car on April 28th and let me tell you that it's been great, I enjoy it so much that we use it for everything I have over 7k miles on it.
Sponsored