Sponsored

Update: pulled the trigger - GT Perf Pack 2 - ride quality???

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Update: just made a deal. Velocity blue, 401A, PP2, B&O, active exhaust.

Got 10.5% off msrp, pretty good deal considering this was the only manual PP2 car in the entire houston/san antonio/dallas area sitting on a lot. Thanks for all the input!!!

Will add pic later.

Hey, i am close to buying a mustang with the performane package 2 with magnaride. It has the pilot cup tires and wide wheels. Plus the track suspension.

How's normal cruising with that setup? I know its setup for a road course, is daily driving going to suck? Looking for opinions before i buy.

I wont track it, its the only manual with magnaride and the other options i want around due to covid. Will super sport 4S's help with ride quality vs the cup 2'?
Sponsored

Last edited:

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Ride is subjective and probably depends on what you're used to driving. Personally I have 0 complaints. The PP2 is a fantastic setup. I daily and carve canyons with mine. I find the car and suspension to excel at both, stock.

I also tried the Ford Performance springs and that turned out to be a bit too much for me and my roads so I removed them. Now running Steeda springs and as far as I can tell the ride is like stock.

FWIW if it wasn't for the wheel gap I would still be driving on the stock springs.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Are you able to test drive the car to see if it's to your liking?
It will ride similar to the PP1 though those Cup2s won't last you very long if you're going to daily the car

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Ride is subjective and probably depends on what you're used to driving. Personally I have 0 complaints. The PP2 is a fantastic setup. I daily and carve canyons with mine. I find the car and suspension to excel at both, stock.

I also tried the Ford Performance springs and that turned out to be a bit too much for me and my roads so I removed them. Now running Steeda springs and as far as I can tell the ride is like stock.

FWIW if it wasn't for the wheel gap I would still be driving on the stock springs.
Thanks for the reply! Agree the ride isnt bad stock. Those cup 2's arent ideal in houston tho with the rain we get. I am coming from a cayman gts, so expect some ride quality trade offs with suspension performane. Appreciate the feedback.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I wont track it, its the only manual with magnaride and the other options i want around due to covid.
Don't compromise. Order what you really want. Or extend the search out farther.

Seems to me that if you don't intend to track it, you're paying for a lot of stuff you don't need or even want. Why do you need magnaride? The base GT is more comfortable than the PP1/2 with Magna set on comfort. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) you have to get the PP1 or PP2 to get magnaride. So it's just option on top of option to get... what? Less than you had before.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Are you able to test drive the car to see if it's to your liking?
It will ride similar to the PP1 though those Cup2s won't last you very long if you're going to daily the car
I test drove it. Felt pretty good, wondered how guys felt after havibg theirs for a while Yeah, those cup 2's would be replaced with mpss 4s tires due to rain here in houston.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove it. Felt pretty good, wondered how guys felt after havibg theirs for a while Yeah, those cup 2's would be replaced with mpss 4s tires due to rain here in houston.
I would agree with above then. The PP2 is priced higher because of the 305 Cup2s.......if you're gonna get rid of those, then don't buy a PP2 in the first place

Edit: not trying to be rude; more to save you money

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Don't compromise. Order what you really want. Or extend the search out farther.

Seems to me that if you don't intend to track it, you're paying for a lot of stuff you don't need or even want. Why do you need magnaride? The base GT is more comfortable than the PP1/2 with Magna set on comfort. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) you have to get the PP1 or PP2 to get magnaride. So it's just option on top of option to get... what? Less than you had before.
I thought the magnaride added some ride quality as well as performance? Although i wont track it, i do enjoy pushing cars when i can. It wouldnt be a total waste, just wondering if PP1 would be better for me by providing better comfort aling with some higher suspension performance...

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I would agree with above then. The PP2 is priced higher because of the 305 Cup2s.......if you're gonna get rid of those, then don't buy a PP2 in the first place

Edit: not trying to be rude; more to save you money
No offense taken...

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I thought the magnaride added some ride quality as well as performance? Although i wont track it, i do enjoy pushing cars when i can. It wouldnt be a total waste, just wondering if PP1 would be better for me by providing better comfort aling with some higher suspension performance...
In my experience, comparing PP1 with and without Magnaride, and a base GT, the Magna does improve the ride over the PP1, but the base suspension is more compliant (more comfortable) than either.

You can push it plenty without a stiff suspension. It's more about tires than anything else, really, on the street or on the track. Sure, you get some body lean, but you might be surprised what you can do with a base car on decent rubbers.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It should drive fine, similar street ride to a base GT350 with magnaride once you replace the tires. The magnaride itself does wonders for the ride compliance.

if you’re mainly worried about daily drivability and will be downgrading the tires anyway, a PP1 with magnaride and a spring swap is a cheaper way to get there. You’ll get the tires you wanted out of the gate too.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
if you’re mainly worried about daily drivability and will be downgrading the tires anyway, a PP1 with magnaride and a spring swap is a cheaper way to get there. You’ll get the tires you wanted out of the gate too.
If he doesn't care to track it, why spend the money on the PP1 just to toss the springs? Why not go base and use the $5200 to upgrade the springs and whatever else he wants to do, including proper tires for his climate?

Yes, yes, I know there's more to the PP1 than springs, but if he doesn't need the lower ratio, cooling, etc. then why bother?

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I love the ride. Its firm and controlled, never harsh. As others have mentioned, the Cup 2's are kind of a bear for the street. They are noisy. They tram line a bit, but not terrible imo. Mine have 5000mi on them and roughly 50% wear left. I'll be putting something else on them when its time to replace. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If he doesn't care to track it, why spend the money on the PP1 just to toss the springs? Why not go base and use the $5200 to upgrade the springs and whatever else he wants to do, including proper tires for his climate?

Yes, yes, I know there's more to the PP1 than springs, but if he doesn't need the lower ratio, cooling, etc. then why bother?
you said it, there is more to the PP1 than just springs. The diff is a big deal, the brakes... if he’s considering a PP2 you don’t expect him to step down to a base car, do you?