Sponsored

GT owner's reveiw of the Ecoboost (Convertible)

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
As an ecoboost owner, I wouldn't touch an ecoboost vert if it were the last Mustang left on the Earth.

The additional weight is really noticeable in Vert form (about 200 lbs. more curb weight than a base ecoboost!). This really drags down the street performance in the ecoboost...

Hey, hey, watch it with that weight stuff - I'll have more salads and we will call it even!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
As for sport mode and not being able to hit 6th gear - do you recall how fast you were going?

I think 6th gear opens once the car is past 62mph and the speed is retained for a bit, once the mph drops down past that threshold, I think the car kicks back into the lower gear.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Turbo engines once turbo is in boost will respond faster than naturally asperated engine.
For example the V8 only has 50% of its max torque at 2000rpm where the Turbo probbaly has 80%-90% already.
But doesn't the 5.0 sound and feel good up around 4k.:first:

Jayhawk Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium
I had a chance to watch mine driven by someone else at Autocross last weekend...the exhaust note is non-existant outside! I like the way it sounds when it's augmented inside, and love the turbo spool with windows down, but boy is it terrible from 20 feet away. Definitely makes sense that the sound would be disappointing in a convertible.

That being said, and I expect to be hung for this, but I don't think the stock 5.0 sounds very good either. There's a couple of them that run at autocross here and they sound pretty tinny for a V8.

As far as performance is concerned, at least on an autocross course, the Ecoboost isn't very far off the GT. I've beaten 3 stock GTs, 2 of them on the terrible stock tires, one a performance pack, all with my stock non-PP on a set of Kumho Ecsta PS91 tires. There's a driver in my region with a PP GT, Koni shocks, rear swaybar, and 200TW tires that kicks my ass, but I still outpace a ton of cars.

Both the GT and Ecoboost are on a fantastic platform. The GT has more power and sounds better, but the ecoboost is very well balanced and great to drive without breaking the bank on mileage. You'd be hard pressed to find another car that can perform so well on an autocross course while returning 35 MPG on the way there and back.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
As for the engine, what surprised me the most is how quick it felt during normal driving. In the GT, granted it is manual, it almost feels slower than the EB under light driving.
Try driving the auto GT (especially with the 3.55 gear option). It feels alot quicker/punchier than the ecoboost auto and manual GT around town/light driving.
I think the auto has something to do with it as the manual ecoboost feels clearly softer than the manual GT around town.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Ecoboost convertible for cruising with my wife not drag racing. I use 93 octane only so when I call for the power it is there. I live in West Virginia and the roads are very curvy my Ecoboost convertible has no problems with the curves in fact I usually have to slow down so I don't scare the wife.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
no problems with the curves in fact I usually have to slow down so I don't scare the wife.
THIS THIS THIS.

Pretty much for any S550. Even 0.3g on the accelerometer is "racing" to the wife. Sheesh.
Sponsored