Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
This naturally aspirated v6 does sound pretty good and I also like the sound of the GTR. Its for sure one of the better sounding 6 cylinders.

I think the problem people have with 6 cylinders and 4 cylinders is the V8 sounds so much better. Its not necessarily they sound bad, but more so "always will sound like a V6".
its like music, some bands do suck but most are just different.
Engine noise is the same. Its not better or worse, its different.
its like saying slayer is better than rush. they aren't, they're... different.

and i say this as a cobra owner with a GT PP1 on order :D

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Flat 6 sounds ok when it revs to the moon, but at lower revs not so much.
I'll give you that a good ol' NA V8 probably has the flat six beat at low revs, but lol @ "sounds ok" when it revs up... They are among the best sounding engines you can get this side of a Ferrari.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'll give you that a good ol' NA V8 probably has the flat six beat at low revs, but lol @ "sounds ok" when it revs up... They are among the best sounding engines you can get this side of a Ferrari.
You're right. I should have said I think the flat six does sound good at high revs, not just ok. I think I over reacted to your over reaction.

However, a V8 sounds better at any rpm. Better at low rpm, but also better at high rpm. And better in the middle rpms.

And I agree a V12 NA Ferrari engine is better yet.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
You're right. I should have said I think the flat six does sound good at high revs, not just ok. I think I over reacted to your over reaction.

However, a V8 sounds better at any rpm. Better at low rpm, but also better at high rpm. And better in the middle rpms.

And I agree a V12 NA Ferrari engine is better yet.
I think that's really hard to say, because it's so difficult to quantify on the whole. I mean there are definitely some V8s that sound better than some flat 6s, and vice versa, but you definitely can't state either direction universally. Like does a GT350 sound better than an average 911? Of course. But does a base Mustang GT or LT1 Camaro sound better than a 991 GT3? Absolutely not. And of course the closer battles come down to personal preference.

I'd struggle to say what's better "on average"...

FWIW, to my ears (and almost everyone I've driven in both cars), the GT4 sounds better than the Mach 1 from ~3.5K RPM on up... and the Mach 1 is still one of the best sounding cars on the road.
Sponsored