Sponsored

GT 5.0 sound tube delete and Magnaflow TruX resonator

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi folks,

Just sharing my experiences as it might help someone contemplating these mods in the same way I've been helped by others.

Sound tube delete. It's a popular modification as people on the US forums in particular report drone/a strange harmonic with the stock exhaust, want to tidy up the engine bay, or don't like the sound it produces. I was attracted to this like a mechanical moth to a brightly glowing spanner as it costs almost zero beer tokens, I liked the idea of tidying up the engine bay, and while it's fiddly it's very straightforward. There's a lot written about how to do it but I couldn't really find anything on what difference it makes to the sound inside the cabin. After I deleted mine the distinctly V8 engine noise apparent in the cabin (stock exhaust) under hard acceleration went away completely. Not entirely surprising since the sound tube is a...er... sound tube but know that if you're running a stock exhaust you'll lose a LOT/ALL of the noise goodness if you do this. I was surprised about the extent and refitted the tube.

Magnaflow TruX resonator (only sold by CJ Pony). This was a nice improvement as it added some smoothness to the exhaust note while retaining the V8 sound that I like (see above). I'd also say it's quieter at cruise, which is important as I do a lot of highway running. To Magnaflow's credit this thing went on like it was meant to be there, always a nice outcome with aftermarket parts and much cheaper if you're having it fitted.

Sound is a subjective thing but my 2c is that if you're staying with a stock or near stock exhaust, leave the sound tube in. The Magnaflow TruX is worth a go and I'd be running one with the sound tube if I hadn't just fitted an AWE Touring cat back that I lucked into.

Cheers
Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi folks,

Just sharing my experiences as it might help someone contemplating these mods in the same way I've been helped by others.

Sound tube delete. It's a popular modification as people on the US forums in particular report drone/a strange harmonic with the stock exhaust, want to tidy up the engine bay, or don't like the sound it produces. I was attracted to this like a mechanical moth to a brightly glowing spanner as it costs almost zero beer tokens, I liked the idea of tidying up the engine bay, and while it's fiddly it's very straightforward. There's a lot written about how to do it but I couldn't really find anything on what difference it makes to the sound inside the cabin. After I deleted mine the distinctly V8 engine noise apparent in the cabin (stock exhaust) under hard acceleration went away completely. Not entirely surprising since the sound tube is a...er... sound tube but know that if you're running a stock exhaust you'll lose a LOT/ALL of the noise goodness if you do this. I was surprised about the extent and refitted the tube.

Magnaflow TruX resonator (only sold by CJ Pony). This was a nice improvement as it added some smoothness to the exhaust note while retaining the V8 sound that I like (see above). I'd also say it's quieter at cruise, which is important as I do a lot of highway running. To Magnaflow's credit this thing went on like it was meant to be there, always a nice outcome with aftermarket parts and much cheaper if you're having it fitted.

Sound is a subjective thing but my 2c is that if you're staying with a stock or near stock exhaust, leave the sound tube in. The Magnaflow TruX is worth a go and I'd be running one with the sound tube if I hadn't just fitted an AWE Touring cat back that I lucked into.

Cheers
Hi GT 550. I did the sound tube tap as inspired by Bill @bjstang. Best of both worlds. You can have it open for OEM style sound or have it closed for sound tube delete sound. I recently took it for a moderate run in the country and decided that I do prefer to have it closed. I might change my mind in the future and just turn the tap to open. Open, close, open...........choices.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Peter,

I did actually see the tap mod by @bjstang but for me any quieter wouldn't have cut it. After putting on the AWE exhaust I read that there's foam in both ends of the tube and it gets louder if you remove it, I suspect the foam is there to also stop vapour so removal is probably not a good option. I wasn't going to take the AWE back off again to find out!

Choices for sure, I guess you now have a 4th exhaust mode on the 2018; 3 x awesome and 1 x stealth.
Sponsored

Reactions: PKs