Sponsored

GT 350 R WHEELS AND TIRES ADVICE

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes, mostly because there aren't a lot of 315/30 options. I wanted to retain stock outer diameter (maintain the gearing advantage of the R over the base car), and I don't like the square-shouldered "poke" look that 325s tend to give. The 305 Michelins can fit rims widths between 10.5-12", so they work just fine on the rear of the R and have about the same stretch as the Cup2 315s (because the street tires have a more square section profile overall).
There aren't ANY options for 315/30; the SC2 is it! And with the gearing argument, you're still maintaining the advantage over a base even with a 325/30. Also another reason I went with Continental, their 325/30 is quite a bit narrower than a Michelin 325 and the shoulder/sidewall does not have that look you described with the Michelin; I hate it too. It fits about identical to the stock Michelin 315. Contrary to popular belief around here, the 4S is not the end-all-be-all of tires. I know, blasphemy right??!!
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
There aren't ANY options for 315/30; the SC2 is it! And with the gearing argument, you're still maintaining the advantage over a base even with a 325/30. Also another reason I went with Continental, their 325/30 is quite a bit narrower than a Michelin 325 and the shoulder/sidewall does not have that look you described with the Michelin; I hate it too. It fits about identical to the stock Michelin 315. Contrary to popular belief around here, the 4S is not the end-all-be-all of tires. I know, blasphemy right??!!
Agree. I ran the Conti DW on my E39 M5 and on my wife's TT and they are a great tire. I went with the 4S as the M5's replacement tires and I do like them better, but I haven't compared to the newer Conti ExtremeSport or whatever it's called. The older DWs were very quiet and exceptional in the rain; one of the best confidence-inspiring street tires for a performance car but less durable and grippy on track (which only matters for those who don't run a dedicated track tire).

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have had a chipped paint on a wheel and have had them fixed b
Just got my GT 350 R HOME from the detailer today. Full PPF coverage and ceramic coating crystal serum by gtechniq. So far I am very happy. Drove great today and already got 5-6 compliments.

I know this has been discussed on this forum already several times, but since this is my first experience with the R, I am wondering what tires other members are running on their GT 350 R in replace of the stock pilot cup 2's. I will only get to drive the R until the end of October, then the weather turns up here in maine. The other question I have is if you are driving the R and it starts raining, how bad are they in the rain ? The other thing is this car will not see the track this year, but it will next year. It is not my daily driver. And are many people just sticking with the stock tires until it's time to replace them and then changing them or are they changing them right away ?

Next question I have is the carbon fiber wheels. At $ 4,000.00 to $ 6,000.00 per wheel I am seriously considering buying another set of wheels for everyday use to save the carbon fiber wheels. If I decide to get another set of wheels I am curious as to what type of wheels other R owners are using.

Has anybody had to deal with damaged, broken, or badly scratched carbon fiber wheels on the R ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
I have had chips in the paint. Shipped them to California for refinishing. The shipping (insurance) was more expensive than the repair but much cheaper than the wheels

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Thank you. Great info !

Are you getting more mileage out of the pilot sport 4's for street driving ? And if I went with pilot sport 4's for street driving and got a squared set up, how does the handling compare to the cup 2's on the street with the same tire size the front and rear ?
Too early to tell, but I would expect to get much more mileage out of the 4's because they are a harder compound designed for street use. To confirm, I'm running a staggered street setup and a squared setup for track. There are no discernible differences in handling on the street for me other than the aforementioned lack of tramlining , but then I don't drive the car on the street fast enough for the differences in grip to manifest.

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
My factory tires are almost shot. Where is everyone having their tires mounted on the 350R CF wheels? This makes me nervous but maybe I'm paranoid. Thanks!

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
My factory tires are almost shot. Where is everyone having their tires mounted on the 350R CF wheels? This makes me nervous but maybe I'm paranoid. Thanks!
Call around to ck for shop or high end dealer which has a Hunter touchless tire machine. No you're not paranoid; just wise to take precaution!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
interesting you mention this. i just had my tires removed from my R wheels yesterday. did a quick video and posted it today at my site. hunter touchless system used. the guy knew what he was doing too. i asked the owner to put his best guy on the job.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Did you fin
interesting you mention this. i just had my tires removed from my R wheels yesterday. did a quick video and posted it today at my site. hunter touchless system used. the guy knew what he was doing too. i asked the owner to put his best guy on the job.

Did you find a buyer?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My advice to you is get a set of street wheels. I have had to repair one of my CF wheels due to minor damage. It is a pain in the ass, and not worth the effort. Here is my thread pertaining to the matter.

I opted for Signature SV902's for my Rs. They have the best look IMHO and signature wheels are fully forged CNC cut with no compromise to quality. Here is my review.

The top 2 photos below are HR871 (a '17 R), and the bottom photo is JR357 (a '18 base R)

20190924_163212.jpg

20190924_163246.jpg

20190618_124548.jpg
Sponsored