Sponsored

GT 350 owners opinions wanted.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Hello guys, I was holding out to see what the GT 500 was all about but mainly due to no manual offered it's not the car for me. So since the GT 350 has always held my attention I'm leaning towards upgrading to it. It's certainly a perfectly balanced car and "is" in my opinion the best looking mustang ever! My current car is a 2015 GT PP with a full bmr IRS, bmr sp080 springs, FRPP 2 tune, up graded axles, shifter and clutch. Overall I'm really happy with my current ride but after almost 4 years of ownership it's losing some luster and feeling a bit slow. I thought about throwing some sort of FI on it but the gearing in the rear and trans is suited perfectly for NA and would also have to be upgraded as well if I went FI. Also I drive 7k miles a year on the street but it would occasionally see the strip or track a couple times a year. Faster track times are less important than the smile on my face while I'm DD so that's why I'm looking at 526 hp vs 700+hp by doing FI on current car. With that said I decided to either keep my current car how it is or upgrade to a used GT 350. Here are some questions I was hoping you all could help me with; how bad do they wheel hop on the street; does the shifter, suspension or anything else feel that it needs upgraded; how much oil does yours typically consume; does yours have piston slap; is there any reason to worry about reliability or is the internet making a mountain out of a aunt hill and what if any what would you change about the GT 350. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Hello guys, I was holding out to see what the GT 500 was all about but mainly due to no manual offered it's not the car for me. So since the GT 350 has always held my attention I'm leaning towards upgrading to it. It's certainly a perfectly balanced car and "is" in my opinion the best looking mustang ever! My current car is a 2015 GT PP with a full bmr IRS, bmr sp080 springs, FRPP 2 tune, up graded axles, shifter and clutch. Overall I'm really happy with my current ride but after almost 4 years of ownership it's losing some luster and feeling a bit slow. I thought about throwing some sort of FI on it but the gearing in the rear and trans is suited perfectly for NA and would also have to be upgraded as well if I went FI. Also I drive 7k miles a year on the street but it would occasionally see the strip or track a couple times a year. Faster track times are less important than the smile on my face while I'm DD so that's why I'm looking at 526 hp vs 700+hp by doing FI on current car. With that said I decided to either keep my current car how it is or upgrade to a used GT 350. Here are some questions I was hoping you all could help me with; how bad do they wheel hop on the street; does the shifter, suspension or anything else feel that it needs upgraded; how much oil does yours typically consume; does yours have piston skap; is there any reason to worry about reliability or is the internet making a mountain out of a aunt hill and what if any what would you change about the GT 350. Thank you in advance!
I’ve owned a 16 GT350 track pack and now a 18 GT350R.
Stop reading all the BS about the oil, and engine failures. Of the 40,000 plus made its not a unrealistic ratio of engine replacements. You’ll always hear the negative BS on forums.

If this was 2000 you wouldn’t even hear of the crying of this awesome car.
Check the oil often and enjoy.

Yes on stock tires power shifting into 1-2-3 I had wheel hop. That’s an easy fix.

If you crave low end torque, either move on or keep what you have. I’m not going to tell you what to do or how to spend your money, but to be, the gt350 is best off a NA car. That’s just my opinion.

I removed 210 pounds from my track pack car and that completely enhanced its overall character.

What the gt350 lacks down low in the RPM, it makes up for above 5000+.

I’ve done so many changes to my car but that’s all because of personal preference.

The oem shifter is really good for a factory shifter. I have a MGW.
I also added headers and a tune. On 93 I pulled 511 rwhp
On 100 octane I pulled 535.
Bone stock was 464 rwhp.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I love my GT350. Though it is difficult to recommend without knowing exactly what someone is looking for.

• Mine goes through oil @ 1 quart every 1500 or so miles. Not a big deal as it seems to run well.
  • Has an annoying vibration as the engine passes through 1850 RPM or so.
  • Low end is a bit lacking, but still fine for normal driving. It's only if you punch it below 3500 RPM that is seems a bit lazy.
  • Rear bumper alignment isn't great.
  • Short driving range due to small gas tank and shitty fuel economy
  • Some occasional rattles
Even so, car looks amazing, feels amazing to drive, has decent utility, is amazing on track, sounds amazing, etc. If you are looking for an emotional connection, this car will give you one. The little issues just give it a bit of character. That may be more than some people are willing to put up with though, so, like I said, it's hard to recommend without knowing exactly what the person is looking for in a vehicle.

I also do believe there is a higher probability of failure with this engine than most other engines out there, but my engine is at 35,000+ miles with 6 track days and it is going strong (knock on wood).

Still can't think of any other vehicle I'd rather have.

-T

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Stop reading all the BS about the oil, and engine failures. Of the 40,000 plus made its not a unrealistic ratio of engine replacements. You’ll always hear the negative BS on forums.

Yes on stock tires power shifting into 1-2-3 I had wheel hop. That’s an easy fix.

If you crave low end torque, either move on or keep what you have. I’m not going to tell you what to do or how to spend your money, but to be, the gt350 is best off a NA car. That’s just my opinion.

I removed 210 pounds from my track pack car and that completely enhanced its overall character.

I’ve done so many changes to my car but that’s all because of personal preference.

Bone stock was 464 rwhp.
How did you remove 200 lbs?

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Bone stock was 464 rwhp.
What was the easy fix for the wheel hop?

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
The GT350 is an amazing car, unfortunately it shines best at high speeds and high RPM. It almost seems a waste to drive it except where you can legally and safely go fast. I love mine but I always have to be careful I don't break something on roads and driveways. It is amazing on the track! You should consider the Bullitt as a daily driver, awesome car, great sound, sexy highland green, not nearly as common as a GT, 480 hp from the dealer, 6 speed, make sure you get the magnaride and Recaros. If you want a GT350, you won't be let down.

Jdmuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra Viper Z06 Mustang
All machines will have a level of failures... so forget about people complaining about the failures and think about this....

Do you want a modern car that revs like S2000, steers like a Evo 9 and sounds like a Yamaha R1??? If you are even an ounce of a car guy... you'd absolutely love this car and no other S550 model compares to what the GT350 has to offer in terms of balance and experience. So ... go get yourself a GT350 and enhance your life... you'll end up loving yourself more for this decision as well.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
R1 has a cross plane crank, not flat plane. That’s why it sounds more twin like. Most I4 all use a flat plane cranks in bikes. The V4 Ducati is even I but different.

Jdmuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra Viper Z06 Mustang
R1 has a cross plane crank, not flat plane. That’s why it sounds more twin like. Most I4 all use a flat plane cranks in bikes. The V4 Ducati is even I but different.
I guess I should've been more specific in terms of which R1... as to what itll sound like. :)

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The engine seized in my '16 GT350.
I’m sure you posted it somewhere but what was the interval on your last oil level check and the engine seizing?

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
How did you remove 200 lbs?
-60 Forgeline GA1R 11x18 wheels
-40 AP front and rear brakes
-10 Full ARH exhaust
-32 R rear seat delete
-40 Recaro profi seats
-20 Antigravity battery
-10 QA1 shaft
-15 Ford Performance differential and irs cradle bushings and cortex monoball front and rear bearings

Total loss 227 pounds.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
What was the easy fix for the wheel hop?
Cortex or similar monoball lower control arm bearing.
Ford performance toe bearing.
Ford performance or similar cradle bushings or cradle lock out kit such as what’s available from bmr.

I myself prefer the solid bushings but it requires rear irs cradle removal to install.

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cortex or similar monoball lower control arm bearing.
Ford performance toe bearing.
Ford performance or similar cradle bushings or cradle lock out kit such as what’s available from bmr.

I myself prefer the solid bushings but it requires rear irs cradle removal to install.
Thanks for the info, but I guess easy or costly mods are relative. I just thought the GT 350 would need less since it's more of a track focused car.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Thanks for the info, but I guess easy or costly mods are relative. I just thought the GT 350 would need less since it's more of a track focused car.
It’s a track car. Not drag car.
Fixing the wheel hop can be done for under a few $100 bucks.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Bone stock was 464 rwhp.

40,000 + ???

Where did you get those numbers from?

Not even close!

:)
Sponsored