Not open for further replies.

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
the 350 has an FPC. that’s really cool. But that’s it.

the 500 has 760 hp supercharged engine. Awesome and occupying rare air, but not mythical as far as engines go.

But... the 500 is unique among pony cars with it’s DCT. That is the FPC of the 500. It is a mythical transmission. So the unique special thing has just moved down the driveline.

but then, also has a wider track than any other Mustang. Unique.

the brakes are by far the largest of any pony car and are some of the biggest on any vehicle in the world.

I won’t even get into suspension, but if you think the car is just a 350 with “200 lbs added to the front...” and supposed to handle worse due to that, you haven’t been paying attention.

you take the aggregate and look at the car. The 500 is more special as the 350, which is saying something as the 350 is legendary.
What's so mythical about a DCT? Just a quicker autobox.
Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
A LOT of corvette folks pissed about that second...they think it should perform much better. Their thoughts are, the C8 has bigger, wider tires with a superior compound.

Here is a test showing the PS4S shaving 1.4 seconds off a lap time on a 1.6 mile course...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/m2/2017/2017-bmw-m2-review-long-term-update-4/

Here is the thread with claims about 1 second + time reduction by simply swapping from the mpss to the ps4s tires on their C7s....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-full-second-faster-than-c7-c-d-review-7.html

From the way it sounds, the C7 is superior in the corners and the C8 can flat out get the traction down when the happy pedal is pressed. This powering out of the corner advantage is huge.
I'm still confused about what these guys want from a $65,000 car. Or how much they want. Ford guys gladly pay much more for a GT350 and it doesn't come close. Yet these get a C8 that murders everything in it's path and they're mad because a BMW with those same tires ran whatever? My head hurts from all this. It's like the Chevy guys are never satisfied no matter how much performance they get and the Ford guys will settle for anything no matter how expensive it is. I need a nap. Oy vey.

Sponsored

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
It will definitely hit 0-60 faster, be quieter inside and shift faster with that automatic transmission.

I would 100% buy a C7 Z51 with a manual transmission before I'd buy a base C8. IMO the C8 is going away from being a fun sports car and becoming more of a car for older guys to take to cars and coffee or the golf course.

But for me the GT350 is a much better buy than either and most car guys will enjoy it a lot more than the C8. Especially if you have the guts to take your car to the road course. Crushed? I don't think so.
It will definitely hit 0-60 faster, be quieter inside and shift faster with that automatic transmission.

I would 100% buy a C7 Z51 with a manual transmission before I'd buy a base C8. IMO the C8 is going away from being a fun sports car and becoming more of a car for older guys to take to cars and coffee or the golf course.

But for me the GT350 is a much better buy than either and most car guys will enjoy it a lot more than the C8. Especially if you have the guts to take your car to the road course. Crushed? I don't think so.
Your reasons for liking the 350 better are all subjective and if that's what you want there's nothing wrong with that but The performance numbers are real and objective. I agree with you crushed is the wrong word it's more like the 350 just got embarrassed by the C8

Squrtcap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, GT350
The GT350 ended up taking second place on MT drivers car for 2019.
For the price and the looks and performance of the 350 most will buy good old number 2 on the
MT list as the Porsche is a $110,000 car.
Next year it will be time to evaluate the C8 for a drivers car.
And by 2021 the 2022 model year will have bugs worked out and maybe a manual.
I enjoy reading posts , but until the C8 is in the hands of the public, I will hold off on
judgement and purchase of a GM product.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your reasons for liking the 350 better are all subjective and if that's what you want there's nothing wrong with that but The performance numbers are real and objective. I agree with you crushed is the wrong word it's more like the 350 just got embarrassed by the C8
They are different cars for different uses in my opinion. The C8 looks exotic and is quick, but without a manual transmission it is not going to be as much of a driver's car. And the engine in the C8 is nothing special. Right now the C8 seems desirable because we haven't seen them driving around yet. In a few years there will be a lot of them on the streets. Probably far more than GT350s. And I don't buy a car for a performance number. I buy a car because I like the car. It sucks to own a car that is fast but not as much fun. My C5 Z06 is very quick on the street (0-30 or 0-60), but it just isn't that fun to drive compared to a GT350.

The GT350 is very fun to drive. Among the best cars ever made as far as being fun to drive. And it has a very special engine. And the GT350 has been sold in more limited numbers than the C8 will be. So it depends on what you want from a car.

Bottom line is the C8 is still vapor ware. You and I haven't driven one yet. Maybe in a year from now we will know from our actual experiences which is more fun to drive. But I have driven a C7 Z51 and a GT350. I know which one I prefer.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
They are different cars for different uses in my opinion. The C8 looks exotic and is quick, but without a manual transmission it is not going to be as much of a driver's car.

Bottom line is the C8 is still vapor ware. You and I haven't driven one yet. Maybe in a year from now we will know from our actual experiences which is more fun to drive. But I have driven a C7 Z51 and a GT350. I know which one I prefer.
And yet, GT500 is somehow amazing, even though there is nothing special about its engine, it's an automatic, and nobody has driven it.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I'm just saying that for $65,000 you get a low 11 sec Corvette that will probably do high 10s in the right hands. And it beat the previous version by 1 second. If the understeer was a problem that prohibited the performance or if it caused them to do a terrible lap time then I can see the criticism. But it beat the last Z51 by 1 second. And based on the comments it seems that they were just annoyed with the understeer if anything. Or it just made them have to approach the track and corners differently. Or they were mad because they couldn't fishtail out of the corners or something. So I will ask again, what were they expecting? Were they expecting a mid engine Vette to drive exactly like the front engine Vette being replaced? Did the braking prevent them from beating the C7 Z51? Did they go plowing off the track? I can't figure what they were this upset about? Should it have done a 10.7 at 135 MPH and beaten a $250+ Supercar around a track for $65,000?
I think the criticism stems from the fact that GM who have proven themselves to be among the best at tuning a chassis have delivered, at least in preproduction form, a car that does not posses the same balanced handling that the outgoing model had. They went through all the trouble of moving the engine because they claimed it was necessary to improve performance when in reality a new set of tires and 35hp would have likely gotten them the same result...at least on a road course.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And yet, GT500 is somehow amazing, even though there is nothing special about its engine, it's an automatic, and nobody has driven it.
I'm not interested in the GT500 for myself to purchase, but the engine in the GT500 is way more special than the LT2.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I think the criticism stems from the fact that GM who have proven themselves to be among the best at tuning a chassis have delivered, at least in preproduction form, a car that does not posses the same balanced handling that the outgoing model had. They went through all the trouble of moving the engine because they claimed it was necessary to improve performance when in reality a new set of tires and 35hp would have likely gotten them the same result...at least on a road course.
Probably true. But my understanding is that the Stingray is intentionally dialed back a notch in terms of track character because it is expected that few Stingray drivers will take them to the track. So to get the great 0-60 and quarter mile performance and compromise a bit on the road track handling is probably a wise play. The focus was more on straight line performance and delivering a mid-engine car that the novice mid-engine driver could drive around town, maybe hoon it up a bit and not find themselves lodged under a food truck Or something. The track focused Vettes (Grand Sport, Z06) are where the real performance value of ME handling potential will come out.

I'm not interested in the GT500 for myself to purchase, but the engine in the GT500 is way more special than the LT2.
That’s true. Until the LT6 and LT7 show up.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.