GT 350 just got crushed by the C8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The main reason the gt350 will "get crushed" is because its manual and c8 is DCT. If you want a real manual then c8 isnt even an option. If you want an auto then gt350 isnt an option. Its not really even a fair comparison. One also has 4 seats. GT500 and c8 are close in price and both DCT which is why its a more valid comparison.
Sponsored

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I know, this whole thread is crushing my brain. Who in the heck started the crushing blow?
I did, When I was looking to buy a new Mustang in 16 I did not want a manual but given all the bruhaha over the 350 I thought I have to have one. After driving a few I was completely underwhelmed and chose to go with a GT and added some mods to my liking. I really could not care any less on how fast the 350 or any other car for that matter goes around a track, but that is where the 350 guys hung their hat. After comparing an 03 Z06 to a 350R and seeing the results that hat fell of the hook along time ago. Of course the newer Z06's weren't a threat because of price and they were boosted, easy to explain away any difference but the C5 was not boosted. I am a Ford guy through and through owned over 45 so far 13 mustangs, but Ford may be in a little trouble now when a well optioned GT is about the same cost as a C8.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I guess the Ford should only be charging $20k for a new 350R if you can get a used 5th gen Z06 for that price?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I did, When I was looking to buy a new Mustang in 16 I did not want a manual but given all the bruhaha over the 350 I thought I have to have one. After driving a few I was completely underwhelmed and chose to go with a GT and added some mods to my liking. I really could not care any less on how fast the 350 or any other car for that matter goes around a track, but that is where the 350 guys hung their hat. After comparing an 03 Z06 to a 350R and seeing the results that hat fell of the hook along time ago. Of course the newer Z06's weren't a threat because of price and they were boosted, easy to explain away any difference but the C5 was not boosted. I am a Ford guy through and through owned over 45 so far 13 mustangs, but Ford may be in a little trouble now when a well optioned GT is about the same cost as a C8.
I am not sure of why you are comparing the GT350 to a vette anyway. The GT350 can't beat the base C7 now.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'm going to say it here first. The new Vette is more section 8 than C8. Because it seems like GM is really helping buyers afford them! That's OK by me, maybe the GT500 ADM's won't last more than a few months!

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
If any of you have read the original post it was that the 350 got crushed by the C8 not the GT500 it also will be effected by the C8 but that was not the original premise. Here is something I find very interesting All the talk about numbers which I find boring led me to do a little digging. I am currently looking to buy a 2003 Z06. My wife's father had one and she loved it He passed and the car was sold. She would like to have one. Just for shits and giggles I looked at the numbers for the 03 Z06 and a 350R. Not sure what all the excitement was about. 16 years ago the vette did 7.56 at Nurburring and the 350R did 7.32 so 16 years latter the mustang's top dog was 24 seconds faster and they are about even in the 1/4 mile. So I can go buy a 16 year old Z06 with 11,000 miles on it for $22,000 and basically hang with a 350R. That's even worse than the current situation. The other interesting thing I am seeing is all the 350 guys that just a week or two ago argued how great the 350 is are as quiet as a church mouse.
LOL @ hang with and 24 seconds.....

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the Ford should only be charging $20k for a new 350R if you can get a used 5th gen Z06 for that price?
That was not the point of my post. Everyone on here likes to talk numbers I don't so I found it interesting to see a 16 year old car was about the same as the new one. As far as cost the market will bring what it brings. Just like C7's are a great bargain right now I believe the 350's will have to be discounted to sell as well as GT500's will not have anything added by the dealers if they want to sell them. So here is a question. The 350 guys always go back to how great of a track car the 350 is and lets say I am going to race every weekend why would I spend $70K or more on a 350R when a $20K 03 Z06 will run with it and with the 50K+ savings could almost by a new C8 or well optioned GT. That 50K would also buy a lot of fuel, parts, tires ect.. to feed the hobby.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Everyone talking about 0-60 and forgetting about the backhalf? LOL whats even funnier is the comparison between a vette and mustang. I really dont understand that but oh well. The gt500 is going to be alot faster than the c8. 250hp is a ot of difference especially with both running DCT trans. Has no one sat down and thought why this car is so cheap? That was the first thing i thought of....why are other mid engine cars pricey? Where is this money being saved? Obviously Gm's trucks arent selling so cash flow is tough for GM right now. There is an old adage that keeps popping up in my head. Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick two cause you wont get the third.'
Id also bet on that ECU being locked up tighter than pickle jar....
The ECU being locked? Hmm is that like the ZR1 vette that was supposedly locked too? HPTuners had that thing cracked in no time. You can rest assured the C8 will be cracked too. Were tslking about a Vette here which will have a pretty good aftermarket following. Of course its going to be cracked and people will be able to tune them.

As for where is the money being saved? It isnt this will be a volume car to make up the cost. Thats why its starting at 60k. Make no mistske this thing will print money for GM!!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The ECU being locked? Hmm is that like the ZR1 vette that was supposedly locked too? HPTuners had that thing cracked in no time. You can rest assured the C8 will be cracked too. Were tslking about a Vette here which will have a pretty good aftermarket following. Of course its going to be cracked and people will be able to tune them.

As for where is the money being saved? It isnt this will be a volume car to make up the cost. Thats why its starting at 60k. Make no mistske this thing will print money for GM!!
Especially from those who must have all the options!

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0

LOL at the vette making money. Trucks make the money. No I mean GM is doing something with these ECu's that will brick them if anyone gets near it. Its a game changer. Not like the ZR1, this on another level

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Also to get that 495....you have to have the exhaust kit
vette.jpg
All that is needed to get 0-60 in 3s is the base car ($60k) + Z51 ($5k-ish).

No official pricing has been released at this point, so the list in your post is clearly bogus. For C7, Z51 is a $5k option, not $12K plus, so again, bogus. And Z51 includes the performance exhaust. Of course a lot of people WILL option the thing up to the sky, starting with 3LT trim instead of 1LT trim and then adding all the candy. But still, at the end of the day if someone WANTED to order a $65k Z51, they could.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.