GT 350 engine/exhaust rattle on warm start

mdombro22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I recently purchased a 2017 GT350 with 10k miles. When starting the car again after driving it for a while, it makes a rattle in the engine/under the car. Its a violent shake, that vibrates the whole car. Only lasts for a second before the car settles into the 800rpm idle. Never happens on a cold start, just after its been warmed up. Any thoughs on what it could be? I have the 60k mile extended warranty so im not too worried about it.

But damn I love this car, quite a bit slower that my 2013 Roush Stage 3 Phase 3 that I sold, but a whole different ballgame.
Sponsored

GoesTo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Tesla Model 3 P, '17 GT350, '07 Audi RS4
I had a similar warm start rattle, but it did not shake the car as you are describing. It sounded like valve clatter, was loud and only on drivers side. Lasted 2 or 3 seconds and then ran perfectly. Dealership replaced the cam phasers and then the timing chain, but could never fully diagnose or cure it so they replaced my engine. Hope you end up with a simpler explanation and resolution.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Shit, mine does this too. Other than that it runs perfectly fine. No oil consumption. Looks like I might need to take it in to the dealer. It only does it after the engine is warmed up and only at startup.

GoesTo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would definitely get it checked out. If like mine, it’s a loud rattle and clearly something is not right. Ran perfectly and no oil consumption on mine either, but have to believe over time there would be damage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mdombro22

mdombro22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had a similar warm start rattle, but it did not shake the car as you are describing. It sounded like valve clatter, was loud and only on drivers side. Lasted 2 or 3 seconds and then ran perfectly. Dealership replaced the cam phasers and then the timing chain, but could never fully diagnose or cure it so they replaced my engine. Hope you end up with a simpler explanation and resolution.
Ill be sure to take it in, once you replaced the engine, you had no more problems? I would prefer not to replace the engine, as it would probably reduce the value right?

OP
OP
mdombro22

mdombro22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Shit, mine does this too. Other than that it runs perfectly fine. No oil consumption. Looks like I might need to take it in to the dealer. It only does it after the engine is warmed up and only at startup.
Mine sucks down oil like you can't believe. I'm at 11,300 miles though.

OP
OP
mdombro22

mdombro22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

GoesTo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill be sure to take it in, once you replaced the engine, you had no more problems? I would prefer not to replace the engine, as it would probably reduce the value right?
Correct. No issues with new engine. First one replaced at 3300 miles and now at 11,000. No oil consumption on either one. What you are describing is exactly what mine did. Never made a sound on cold start up, but after shutting off for 20-30 min and restart it would do it for a few seconds. Shut it off and immediately restart - no noise.

Sponsored

blkguyblk5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Hate to bring this back from the dead but my GT350 is having this exact same issue. No noise on cold start but clatter-like noise for a second or two from the driver side on warm starts. Was there any resolution to this or did anyone figure out what it is at least?

Last edited:

blkguyblk5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Did you find the cause of this?

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Did you find the cause of this?
Nope. Haven't taken it in yet. I found that if I give it a little blip of the throttle right before I shut it off, it never on the next startup. I've gotten into the habit of giving it a blip before I shut it off and kind of forgot about it.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150