Sponsored

Gripe about standard tires on GT

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As we all know, the standard tires on the base GT (and possibly Ecoboost?) are the 235/50 18-inch P Zero Nero all seasons. I don't think that it's unreasonable that the car comes with all-seasons, given the diverse nature of the North American climate--summer tires are not going to work well in many parts of the country. But on a 460 HP performance car weighing 3700 lb (or more), 235-width tires is really not sufficient. And the Nero all-seasons, while maybe being a reasonably good tire when they were released 9-10 years ago, are not competitive with more recent all-season designs like the Michelin A/S 3+ or even the Pirelli "All Season Plus" or General AS-05. Does Ford have a giant warehouse of P Zero Neros that they got dirt cheap? Anyway, I think Mustang buyers would be much better served if the base car came with at least, say, 245/45 tires of a more modern design. Not that Ford cares a lot about what I think, or that anyone from Ford will ever read this.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
The 255s that came on my GT CS seem to be decent for stock performance...and should probably be on the base as well...but upgrade options make money so I doubt it will change.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As we all know, the standard tires on the base GT (and possibly Ecoboost?) are the 235/50 18-inch P Zero Nero all seasons. I don't think that it's unreasonable that the car comes with all-seasons, given the diverse nature of the North American climate--summer tires are not going to work well in many parts of the country. But on a 460 HP performance car weighing 3700 lb (or more), 235-width tires is really not sufficient. And the Nero all-seasons, while maybe being a reasonably good tire when they were released 9-10 years ago, are not competitive with more recent all-season designs like the Michelin A/S 3+ or even the Pirelli "All Season Plus" or General AS-05. Does Ford have a giant warehouse of P Zero Neros that they got dirt cheap? Anyway, I think Mustang buyers would be much better served if the base car came with at least, say, 245/45 tires of a more modern design. Not that Ford cares a lot about what I think, or that anyone from Ford will ever read this.
Not a giant warehouse, but they do get them absolutely dirt cheap...around $45-50 ea. The tire should not be on this car. The 255/40R19 version of the same tire is far more competent. Skid pad grip goes from 0.83G to 0.90G when going from 235/50R18 to 255/40R19 of the same tire. I remember taking my car with those 18" tires to its first autocross and was extremely upset at how badly it performed.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Stand alone option 20x9 with 265's.

But the car really needs a stand alone 19x10 option for all the stock/street class guys.

Guess what size tires come on my 250hp Focus ST, that is five or six hundred pounds lighter? 235s.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, the OEM tires are not that good. But even the Pzero summer tires were too tall in the sidewall department for a sporty ride. An inch less or so of total sidewall really makes improvements in the flatness of handling, bounce reduction, and refinement.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
1st mod for ANY car with PZeros is throw them damn things in the trash!

God I hate PZeros!!

Only reason mine are still one is the Nokian snows just came off and havnt bought new wheels yet for my 2018.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had to replace the original Goodyear Eagles on my 15 Ecoboost (18’s) last summer. Bought the Michelin A/S 3+ and absolutely loved them. I now have P Zero Nero’s on my 19 GT/CS. Of course they are much bigger but I think the Michelin’s are better tires.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yep, the OEM tires are not that good. But even the Pzero summer tires were too tall in the sidewall department for a sporty ride. An inch less or so of total sidewall really makes improvements in the flatness of handling, bounce reduction, and refinement.

Everything you just said is wrong. Tires don't effect the flatness of handling, they have very little impact on bounce, and taller sidewalls = a more refined ride.

Don't confuse the fashion of super low profile tires with performance. We're not talking about old 70 series tires, 50 or less is low profile, anything less than 40 is super low profile. The typical race car uses profiles between 45 - 55.

The main problem with the stock tires is they are far too small. All seasons also suck for performance.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Everything you just said is wrong. Tires don't effect the flatness of handling, they have very little impact on bounce, and taller sidewalls = a more refined ride.

Don't confuse the fashion of super low profile tires with performance. We're not talking about old 70 series tires, 50 or less is low profile, anything less than 40 is super low profile. The typical race car uses profiles between 45 - 55.

The main problem with the stock tires is they are far too small. All seasons also suck for performance.
I disagree, everything I said is true and everything you said in the first paragraph of your statement is false.

The S550’s rear bounces a good deal. 0.5” less of sidewall and a better tire rid my car of the bounce completely; how can you argue that? Additionally, less bounce equals more refinement, and less bounce/unsettled turns means flatter handling. Lastly, a less cloud-like ride equals a refined ride TO ME. But hell, maybe BMW has it wrong too?

I’m not confusing fashion for performance, by the way, and I could care less how fast I go around a track. I am after the ultimate street car; better composed
and lower profile tires have aided me closer to this goal.

Lastly, I agree with your last statement. All seasons have little place in the performance world, and the OEM tires are not wide enough.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I disagree, everything I said is true and everything you said in the first paragraph of your statement is false.

The S550’s rear bounces a good deal. 0.5” less of sidewall and a better tire rid my car of the bounce completely; how can you argue that? Additionally, less bounce equals more refinement, and less bounce/unsettled turns means flatter handling. Lastly, a less cloud-like ride equals a refined ride TO ME. But hell, maybe BMW has it wrong too?

I’m not confusing fashion for performance, by the way, and I could care less how fast I go around a track. I am after the ultimate street car; better composed
and lower profile tires have aided me closer to this goal.

Lastly, I agree with your last statement. All seasons have little place in the performance world, and the OEM tires are not wide enough.
Flatness of handling is controlled by springs and anti roll bars. Bounce is controlled by shocks. Refinement is a bit of everything, with taller sidewalls generally giving a more refined ride.

My Spec Racer Ford race tires are 185/60R13 & 205/60R13. And having relatively "high profile" tires doesn't hurt the "flatness of the handling" or cause any bounce issues. F1 cars running 13" wheels also seem to work pretty good.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Flatness of handling is controlled by springs and anti roll bars. Bounce is controlled by shocks. Refinement is a bit of everything, with taller sidewalls generally giving a more refined ride.

My Spec Racer Ford race tires are 185/60R13 & 205/60R13. And having relatively "high profile" tires doesn't hurt the "flatness of the handling" or cause any bounce issues. F1 cars running 13" wheels also seem to work pretty good.
Race tires have vastly different sidewalls than street tires as you well know. Apples to oranges. I think the relatively stiff OEM suspension of a PP Mustang needs either a stiffer sidewall tire or less of a sidewall to negate ill ride effects. Seeking both worked for me.

Yes, dampers control bounce, but tires can indeed be the cause of the bounce.

Flat handling for sure is swaybar and spring controlled, so long as the ride isn’t jostling about the road.
Sponsored