Sponsored

Griots Garage heavy duty wheel cleaner

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I am using Griots Garage products to get the stang perdified. I won't go into the wash review as there are tons of those. Though the heavy duty wheel cleaner... not as much. And since pictures speak a 1000 words... before and after (left and right wheels). Good stuff for sure.

20200906_192144.jpg

20200906_192158.jpg
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Nice results!

I not a big fan of using wheel cleaners unless absolutely necessary. What's the smell like, some wheel cleaners have a harsh smell.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Nice results!

I not a big fan of using wheel cleaners unless absolutely necessary. What's the smell like, some wheel cleaners have a harsh smell.
Not harsh at all. In fact all the Griots stuff we used so far have smelled really nice

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I not a big fan of using wheel cleaners unless absolutely necessary.
I'm on your camp too. Damaged the expensive wheels on a new Porsche with Sonax, which is one of the most expensive wheel cleaners. Ever since, I just clean them with a microfiber rag sprayed with distilled water. And at the manual car wash, just use regular high-pressure soap. As long as you don't leave them a year without washing (including the insides), you don't really need a cleaner. But to each his own :).

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm on your camp too. Damaged the expensive wheels on a new Porsche with Sonax, which is one of the most expensive wheel cleaners. Ever since, I just clean them with a microfiber rag sprayed with distilled water. And at the manual car wash, just use regular high-pressure soap. As long as you don't leave them a year without washing (including the insides), you don't really need a cleaner. But to each his own :).
I've learned from the detailing pros that APC literally does it all, you just need to dilute with the proper ratios based on the job. I use meguiars D10101 for everything. Buy it by the gallon and skip boutique products. There are exceptions though. Cleaners like this one have an iron oxide binding agent that pulls brake dust off the surface, reducing the chances of scratching.

Reactions: XS

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Dawn dish soap will clean very dirty rims....

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just to sort of end the debate, this is just a review of the product. What works for me may not work for the next person.

I find that brake dust is a beast to get off completely no matter what method I use. This has been the best on vehicle cleaning product I have used so far. Are there better? Maybe, I haven't personally used it.

20 minutes of soaking and mild agitation and we had 4 squeaky clean wheels. Meguires products cleaned well but always left residual that you had to go back and readdress. Yes, it came off but with more effort. This was a breeze in comparison... and this was probably the worst my wheels have been.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I wash my wheels with whatever I wash the car with, and used detailer on the wheels when I detail the rest of the car. I think regular cleaning is best, instead of trying to "rescue" extremely grungy wheels. Let them go long enough and you will see damage in the finish.
Sponsored