Green oil for k&n filter?

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have been wanting a green filter for my car. When I first purchased it, I installed a k&N filter. Is there a recharge kit out there with a green dye instead of a red one to match the bullitt ?

Edit: Doing some research online, found green colored oil on summit racing. Saw on some supra forums if we use the green oil but stick to K&N filter, it should be fine. What are you guys' thoughts on doing so? Here's the link:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gre-2802
Sponsored

Last edited:

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Is it reusable like k&n? I have also heard k&n has a very good air flow, so speaking quality, is it same or better? Because k&n was kind of expensive too and I don't want to just discard a good air filter

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Is it reusable like k&n? I have also heard k&n has a very good air flow, so speaking quality, is it same or better? Because k&n was kind of expensive too and I don't want to just discard a good air filter
K&N has a bit better air flow but at the expense of letting a bit more dirt in.

Now there is debate over this, and really it comes down to you. If you change your oil regularly and run a good oil filter, as you should, will you be able to tell if your engine had issues at 134k instead of 145k due to a little more dirt in it if you ran another filter? Or if you could have gotten 260k instead of 240K from it? No there isn't any real way to tell that.

I'm of the from of mind that as long as you're properly cleaning and oiling the K&N and running a good oil and oil filter you will never know during the life of the car if that bit of dirt had ANY impact

Now that said, the air flow is likely to help power gains so little that unless you're running a built engine or some type of forced Induction that requires a LOT more airflow into the engine you'll never notice ANY change in power unless youre doing before/after dynos from a dirty filter to a new clean one.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have also heard k&n has a very good air flow
Yeah, but airflow your engine DOES NOT need, and A LOT more crap. And no, it's not just 'a little' more dirt. You could do a test yourself with a ShopVac, some dirt, and wet white shop towels, if you doubt that. K&N is a great RACING filter, but a lousy street filter. And on the Bullitt, you already have a filter that flows more air than your stock engine would ever need, since it's the VooDoo filter, an engine with more displacement (5.2 vs 5.0), and higher redline (8,300 vs 7,500) than ours. Besides, even on regular 5.0s, any restriction is minimal, and only present at the very top of the rev range, so even in those cases, not worth the risk of potential engine damage for a difference you wouldn't even feel, especially with the delicate PTWA coating, which is prone to scoring. Most modern engines don't have any air filter restriction anymore. But of course, to each his own :).

Sponsored

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So based on the two comments above, I don't drive my car all too much, I don't track it or race it. Maybe 150-200 miles a month. For this type of driving application, K&N isn't well suited as it might not be filtering as much debree. I still would like a reusable filter so in that what is closest to the one that comes factory in terms of filtering. Preferably if it's sold in Green color it would be a bonus.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
I've had a Green filter. It's well made and flows well, but like others have said, we really don't need it on our cars. If you want it for aesthetics fine but it really won't be of any benefit functionally.

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah I kind of want it for aesthetics as well

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
FWIW, I bought the Ford Performance reusable filter. It's actually an Air Raid dry filter. It's blue in color. I looked hard at the green filter, but I didn't love the idea of an oiled filter on the remote chance that it might gum up any sensors. It seems to catch a lot, I clean it about every 5,000 miles.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-9601-g/make/ford
Sponsored