Sponsored

Great roads near the tail of the dragon?

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Hey everyone, no disrespect if Im not suppose to be in these parts of the forums since I am a south Florida native, but figured this would be a good place to get some info from the locals. I've passed through the tail of the dragon on two occasions, once when I was driving my ecoboost to North Dakota to see family for the summer, and the second time when I purchased and drove down my ohio native GT to Miami.

Both times I had a blast but I wanted to plan a whole weekend trip out of it instead of just passing through. So I wanted to ask you guys for any recommendations of awesome roads somewhat near or around the tail that I could hit up in the same weekend. Current gameplan is in May to arrive at the tail on a Thursday afternoon and head back to Florida on Monday so that really leaves me with Friday-Sunday for a drivers weekend. Current roads I plan on doing are the tail, the cherohala skyway, the snake (possibly), Newfound gap, Wolfpen and thats pretty much all I got so far.

Open to any and all recommendations and also if anyone wants to join me for any of the drives always open to sharing the roads with fellow mustang owners!:beer::beer:
Sponsored

OP
OP
kiszl

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
2neebf.jpg

NC STANG GUY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT 99 Terminator swapped Cobra vert 93 LX hatch 90 LX coupe
Vehicle Showcase
HWY 28 is pretty decent. https://moonshiner28.com/

Not so much for fast driving but some great views on the Foothills Parkway from near the end of the Tail of the Dragon on the TN side. Couple sections of it run towards the Wears Valley area outside Pigeon Forge.

Foothills-2.jpg

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I'll give you surrounding areas within a 4 hour radius. Highway 60 in Georgia which is also right beside Wolf Pen Gap (I would say this road is less predictable and far more dangerous than Deals Gap but not as long but an amazing road). NC-80, Old 18 that leads to 181 and then there are some roads that lead through VA and back down to the Blueridge Parkway. The roads surrounding Deal's Gap will give you the most freedom though if you stay away from main events or weekends.

rishi_says

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rishi
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem, PP2
Cherohala Skyway and Wayah Road. Cherohala is wider with long sweeping corners. Elevation gets up there and views are amazing. Wayah road is tightly wound and narrowish. Both are right near Robbinsville NC.

Sponsored

Voluntearz_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/10R80
Cherohala Skyway and Wayah Road. Cherohala is wider with long sweeping corners. Elevation gets up there and views are amazing. Wayah road is tightly wound and narrowish. Both are right near Robbinsville NC.
^ this. I actually enjoyed the Skyway more than the Dragon. Faster road, less cars, and less cops.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
...Highway 60 in Georgia which is also right beside Wolf Pen Gap (I would say this road is less predictable and far more dangerous than Deals Gap but not as long but an amazing road)...stay away from main events or weekends.
I second both comments.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros

This past weekend at the top of Cherohala.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I live in Knoxville. A favorite long cruise is through Alcoa, down to the Tail of the Dragon to Robbinsville, then come back on the Cherohala Skyway and back up to Maryville. The Skyway is my favorite part.

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A group of us are hitting the Dragon and surrounding area this weekend. I'm running with an M3 forum group, m3post.com fwiw. This is our 3rd annual run. Feel free to come tag-along. I won't be the only American car in the group and all are welcome to join along. We're using radios to communicate, channel 5.

Friday, I know it's a weekday, but we're meeting at the Motorcycle Resort in Deals Gap at 10am and running the Dragon. Lunch at the Hub @ noon, and then we'll head back out the hills. Saturday we'll mostly all meet at the Motorcycle Resort around 10 and then figure out what roads to explore from there.

Hope to see more Mustangs out there this weekend.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
A group of us are hitting the Dragon and surrounding area this weekend. I'm running with an M3 forum group, m3post.com fwiw. This is our 3rd annual run. Feel free to come tag-along. I won't be the only American car in the group and all are welcome to join along. We're using radios to communicate, channel 5.

Friday, I know it's a weekday, but we're meeting at the Motorcycle Resort in Deals Gap at 10am and running the Dragon. Lunch at the Hub @ noon, and then we'll head back out the hills. Saturday we'll mostly all meet at the Motorcycle Resort around 10 and then figure out what roads to explore from there.

Hope to see more Mustangs out there this weekend.
Man, I would love to. I was out there on Sunday 11/3 and 11/10. The weather both days was great, if a little cool. This coming weekend is a mess for me, though. Hope you have a great time! Be sure to drive the Cherohala Skyway while you are there!

rishi_says

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rishi
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem, PP2
weather is supposed to be great but we're headed out of town for the week or I'd have joined.

Alex_V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
^ this. I actually enjoyed the Skyway more than the Dragon. Faster road, less cars, and less cops.
Yep, even better during a week day. I used to leave Atlanta, ride to the end of 400, go through Morganton towards Tellico plains, and then ride Skyway. Awesome roads.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
I went out to the Dragon today. I should have posted up to see if anyone was around, but it was unplanned. The weather was beautiful, so the top went down and away I went!
Sponsored