First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Check out Walmart.com. You can get ultra for about 24 bucks a jug

Deleted member 35786

Check out Walmart.com. You can get ultra for about 24 bucks a jug
Or just get some Walmart Supertech full synthetic for about $17 a gallon, its just as good as any other synthetic oil.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or just get some Walmart Supertech full synthetic for about $17 a gallon, its just as good as any other synthetic oil.
And your proof? Otherwise go troll somewhere else.

Sponsored

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
And your proof? Otherwise go troll somewhere else.
What makes you think he's trolling? Where's your proof that it isn't as good as the "Name brands?" Wal-Mart doesn't make the oil; they just put their name of whomever makes it.

"Wal-Mart" oil has to pass the same stringent tests as every other brand. I've been using Wal-Mart oil in my truck for years, and it has 130k trouble-free miles on it.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What makes you think he's trolling? Where's your proof that it isn't as good as the "Name brands?" Wal-Mart doesn't make the oil; they just put their name of whomever makes it.

"Wal-Mart" oil has to pass the same stringent tests as every other brand. I've been using Wal-Mart oil in my truck for years, and it has 130k trouble-free miles on it.
Hey came in here and put up something basically none helpful and not relevant to the post. That's called a troll. Also when you claim something is better the burden to provide proof is on you. Last there has been multiple oil analyze done to the ultra plat and research. I will take that over your "truck" any day. Thanks

EDIT: Also about your "tests"...that's for the base oil. Good quality oils hold up to those tests better then generic oils do. Its called additives. You should do some research before you just jump into something. Im no expert but I've done my share of reading about the topic.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Get the Ultra while you can. I think it is being phased out. You can no longer get 5W30 for less than about double what 5W20 runs and not available at all in places that carried it not long ago. It fits a pattern of products going away. Get rid of remaining stock at a discount, then gouging by whoever has some left when it gets scarce.

Or it may just be a lull until a new Ultra is brought up to snuff with latest standards. Platinum is SN+ and Dexos gen 2 rated. Platinum Ultra is/was rated SN and Dexos pre-gen 2.

I can see them not wanting to sell oil that isn't SN+ with LSPI getting the blame for turbo engine failures.

Update: Since Walmart has it again and for $24.xx per jug, I hope I was just being over pessimistic. Still unclear why other places that were selling it for not much more have raised prices so drastically for the Ultra.

Update April 22, 2019: I just bought some more 5W30 Ultra and it has SN+ labeling. The UPC is the same as an empty jug that did not have the SN+ labels. I would think that means the oil did not change but just the labeling.

Last edited:

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Ultra while you can. I think it is being phased out. You can no longer get 5W30 for less than about double what 5W20 runs and not available at all in places that carried it not long ago. It fits a pattern of products going away. Get rid of remaining stock at a discount, then gouging by whoever has some left when it gets scarce.

Or it may just be a lull until a new Ultra is brought up to snuff with latest standards. Platinum is SN+ and Dexos gen 2 rated. Platinum Ultra is/was rated SN and Dexos pre-gen 2.

I can see them not wanting to sell oil that isn't SN+ with LSPI getting the blame for turbo engine failures.
You can still get 5w-30 on Walmart.com for 24 bucks for 5 quarts. Not sure how long that supply will last though...amazon is beyond silly in price.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You can still get 5w-30 on Walmart.com for 24 bucks for 5 quarts. Not sure how long that supply will last though...amazon is beyond silly in price.
Link please. Walmart search can be bad, but 5W30 Ultra Platinum does not show up under search for Pennzoil, search for 5W30 or search for any combination of 5W30, Pennzoil, ultimate, platinum. I can see they have 5W20, 10W30, 0W20 and some others in Platinum Ultra but NO 5W30 in Pennzoil Platinum ultra. Would really appreciate a link so I can stock up for the Mustang. I use regular Platinum 5W30 in my Turbo ATS for the SN+.

Update April 22, 2019: I just bought some more 5W30 Ultra and it has SN+ labeling. The UPC is the same for an empty jug that did not have the SN+ labels. I would think that means the oil did not change but just the labeling. Using just one 5W30 for all my vehicles will simplify things.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked myself using my old shopping cart...as of a day ago...they got wiped out really fast it looks like.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
Im no expert but I've done my share of reading about the topic.
bigyzf didn't say it was better than the premium brands, he said it was "just as good."

I did oil analysis for the Air Force for over 5 years, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Deleted member 35786

Did not mean to troll anyone. Was just stating the cost of wal mart oil vs spending more on name brands.

Thundersteel: From one AF veteran to another I understand. I was a jet engine mechanic for over 20yrs in the AF.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Plan on picking up the Pep Boys Platinum deal tomorrow.. $40 for 10qt is a damn good deal.
Sponsored