Grate in the center of the dash rattling

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Looks like you have the same vent and gauge rattle I (and many others) had. VERY EASY to fix. I did it with a rubber washer I had laying around. Cut a small piece, and shoved it above (at 12 o'clock) the vents and gauges with a thin plastic trim tool, and problem solved 100%. I actually tried to fix it from the inside, when I installed the GT350 gauges, putting foam tape all over, and didn't fix it. So no need to remove anything at all. Hope this helps.
I just did this, I'll chime in tomorrow if it worked. If so, that's the easiest fix ever. Way better than pulling everything apart. I used two square pieces of rubber insulation folded over and tucked it down above the left most vent in the corner and the center one.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Anything that prevents the vents and/or gauges to move against the dash piece will quiet the noise. I did it at the top because it's invisible, and even if you stick your head up there with a flashlight, it looks like a tab, since they're right at the 12 o'clock position :D. Good luck brother. Hope that's it. And yes, I was going nuts with that freaking squeaking, and couldn't believe I fixed it without removing anything. It sounded much deeper than the gauges/vents, so didn't suspect them, until I touched it just for the hell of it, and noise gone :).

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Anything that prevents the vents and/or gauges to move against the dash piece will quiet the noise. I did it at the top because it's invisible, and even if you stick your head up there with a flashlight, it looks like a tab, since they're right at the 12 o'clock position :D. Good luck brother. Hope that's it. And yes, I was going nuts with that freaking squeaking, and couldn't believe I fixed it without removing anything. It sounded much deeper than the gauges/vents, so didn't suspect them, until I touched it just for the hell of it, and noise gone :).
So, it did work! Almost. The only issue left now is that if I put my phone on my pro clip mount, it starts making the noise again. But that doesn't surprise me. The pro clip works by wedging against the top and bottom of vent trim. It works well, but I'm not surprised it causes rattling with some weight on it. I'm gonna take it off and see if I can wedge some of the rubber I used behind the top edge where it squeezes into.

Thanks again for the tip, its basically fixed, but with how expensive the pro clip was I don't wanna give up on it just yet.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My pleasure :). That's what we're here for. Nothing like a quiet cabin. Post a picture of your 'pro clip'; I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure we can find a way to make it quiet :D.

You know what's awesome for quieting rattles and such? Tesa tape. Just got it from Amazon. It's super thin, and sticks like glue. I wasn't familiar with that either, but that's exactly what we need for this kind of jobs. Somebody suggested it to wrap around the rear seats strikers (where the seat-backs latch onto), and that's why I ordered it. Just wrapped them, as a matter of fact. Apparently they can make the noise that appears to come from the C-pillar, but they're the seat latches. Hope that's the case with mine too :D.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My pleasure :). That's what we're here for. Nothing like a quiet cabin. Post a picture of your 'pro clip'; I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure we can find a way to make it quiet :D.

You know what's awesome for quieting rattles and such? Tesa tape. Just got it from Amazon. It's super thin, and sticks like glue. I wasn't familiar with that either, but that's exactly what we need for this kind of jobs. Somebody suggested it to wrap around the rear seats strikers (where the seat-backs latch onto), and that's why I ordered it. Just wrapped them, as a matter of fact. Apparently they can make the noise that appears to come from the C-pillar, but they're the seat latches. Hope that's the case with mine too :D.
This is the pro clip, as you can see the top edge has a bladed plastic fin that slips down behind the trim piece to hold the phone.

I tried putting some rubber around that plastic fin, we'll see if that stops it. Won't know until the sun comes back up. Luckily the rest of the car is dead silent...for now.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the solution for you: TESA TAPE :D. That freaking thing is magic man. Just got it the other day, and quieted a lot of crap on my other vehicles. Even a squeaking noise that was driving me crazy on my office ceiling fan, where the 'cover' was squeaking against the ceiling. It's almost black, so wrapped the top all around with that tape, with about 3mm from the top (it's basically invisible), and wrapped the rest of the tape inside the cover, and dead silent now. Yeeeey. It's a super thin, cloth-type tape that sticks like crazy. And it's quite tough. Wish I had found it earlier. Highly recommended. Bought it off Amazon; it's relatively cheap (about 3/4" wide). Good luck.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have the solution for you: TESA TAPE :D. That freaking thing is magic man. Just got it the other day, and quieted a lot of crap on my other vehicles. Even a squeaking noise that was driving me crazy on my office ceiling fan, where the 'cover' was squeaking against the ceiling. It's almost black, so wrapped the top all around with that tape, with about 3mm from the top (it's basically invisible), and wrapped the rest of the tape inside the cover, and dead silent now. Yeeeey. It's a super thin, cloth-type tape that sticks like crazy. And it's quite tough. Wish I had found it earlier. Highly recommended. Bought it off Amazon; it's relatively cheap (about 3/4" wide). Good luck.
Thanks, ill try that. With the rubber I stuffed back there and adjusting things, its 90% gone.
Sponsored