Sponsored

Got Steeda Progressive lowering springs for my birthday!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
After 6 years of ownership, going to lower the 'Stang. My wife and kids got me the progressive lowering springs for Christmas. Have read the install directions and it looks pretty straight forward. Ordering the camber bolts for the front to adjust after the install. Any other advice when installing? First time doing this, so would be good to know any gotchas other than to torque everything properly.
Sponsored

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 1
After 6 years of ownership, going to lower the 'Stang. My wife and kids got me the progressive lowering springs for Christmas. Have read the install directions and it looks pretty straight forward. Ordering the camber bolts for the front to adjust after the install. Any other advice when installing? First time doing this, so would be good to know any gotchas other than to torque everything properly.
Spring install really isn't bad, just follow the steps. There are tones of YouTube vidoes of regular guys giving it a go. I'd say start there, way better than anything you'll find on the forums IMO.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 - Race Red
I had a much easier time replacing the springs on the struts using a clamshell type spring compressor. The ones with the two independent rods were tough for me to get to work. The lower spring perch kept getting in the way. I ended up buying a spring compressor for under $50 from Harbor Freight. That made it a lot easier the next couple of times I took them apart since I didn’t have to keep renting the tools. https://www.harborfreight.com/singl...MIic2siMH_7gIVQ-bjBx3rSQHREAQYAiABEgInl_D_BwE

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I had a much easier time replacing the springs on the struts using a clamshell type spring compressor. The ones with the two independent rods were tough for me to get to work. The lower spring perch kept getting in the way. I ended up buying a spring compressor for under $50 from Harbor Freight. That made it a lot easier the next couple of times I took them apart since I didn’t have to keep renting the tools. https://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html?cid=paid_google|||43753&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIic2siMH_7gIVQ-bjBx3rSQHREAQYAiABEgInl_D_BwE
Nice! Did that work equally well for front and back springs? That is one of my concerns, the back springs are much heavier and might not work as well with the lighter duty compressors.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Did that work equally well for front and back springs? That is one of my concerns, the back springs are much heavier and might not work as well with the lighter duty compressors.
No need for spring compressors for the back. They are only needed for the struts. You can drop one side of the subframe at a time in the back and get the springs in and out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Congrats - yes, there are some great videos on YouTube - specifically here on 6G:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...a-sport-lowering-springs-install-video.17846/

You will be happy with the present :)

TJ
Thanks TJ! I am super excited to get them in place and try them out! You all do tremendous work, top quality products! I remember dreaming of getting Steeda parts since I read about the Steeda custom Mustang in a Motor Trend article in the 90's. My time is now! :)

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No need for spring compressors for the back. They are only needed for the struts. You can drop one side of the subframe at a time in the back and get the springs in and out.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. That puts my mind at ease. :)

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Easy way to do the front. is put the jack under the shock, compress it a bit, take off the bolt on top while it's sitting and slowly uncompress it and it will come apart slowly without having to use spring compressor, and put it back in the same way. Works everytime!

Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to DM me. Great choice on the springs! You will love the performance difference, and they compliment well the bump steer kit Steeda sells.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Easy way to do the front. is put the jack under the shock, compress it a bit, take off the bolt on top while it's sitting and slowly uncompress it and it will come apart slowly without having to use spring compressor, and put it back in the same way. Works everytime!

Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to DM me. Great choice on the springs! You will love the performance difference, and they compliment well the bump steer kit Steeda sells.
Thanks for the tip! Will let you know if I have a question once I get in there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

I decided to order the rear camber adjustment kit from Steeda (I know, it is tricky to get on, but I will be adjusting once and leaving so the arms did not make financial sense). Those should be here on Tuesday, so will do the spring swap and readjust the cambers probably in a week.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to order the rear camber adjustment kit from Steeda (I know, it is tricky to get on, but I will be adjusting once and leaving so the arms did not make financial sense). Those should be here on Tuesday, so will do the spring swap and readjust the cambers probably in a week.
I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the rear camber adjustment kit is its purpose is to allow the camber to be adjusted more easily. The benefit is for those who desire to change camber settings regularly. I don't think it gives you any extra adjustability beyond what the stock setup allows, so if the intent is to set it once and leave it alone, I don't know that there is any benefit to adding it. My plan was the same in that I wanted to get it set and leave it alone. After updatingthe suspension with the new springs, shocks and IRS components, I had Steeda set the alignment for me using the stock camber adjustment.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the rear camber adjustment kit is its purpose is to allow the camber to be adjusted more easily. The benefit is for those who desire to change camber settings regularly. I don't think it gives you any extra adjustability beyond what the stock setup allows, so if the intent is to set it once and leave it alone, I don't know that there is any benefit to adding it. My plan was the same in that I wanted to get it set and leave it alone. After updatingthe suspension with the new springs, shocks and IRS components, I had Steeda set the alignment for me using the stock camber adjustment.
I thought that the camber adjustment kit allowed you to adjust camber (mostly) independently of the toe adjustment, where the factory adjustment on the rear you had to play one against the other to get the camber right (iterate between camber and toe adjustment until both are right). If I am mistaken, then I guess the money was not well spent. :) But I was planning to do the adjustment myself, so the adjustment kit (I thought) made more sense to set the camber without playing with the toe setting.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
This is a couple of weeks late, but the springs are in place! Happy with the look, but even more happy with the improvement in handling. It is really substantial! Almost no lean in the corners or lift under braking or acceleration. Very minor change in comfort while cruising, slightly more harsh under hard bumps, but not enough to be a concern. Wish I would have done this years ago.

@tj@steeda the only thing I would recommend for you is to have a convertible specific set of instructions. Due to the rear bracing and exhaust routing, had to remove the rear braces and release and lower the exhaust past the resonator to allow the subframe to lower enough to get the rear springs installed. That part was not a major problem but just had to discover it as I went. Also it took me a bit to discover that the bump stops are below the top cover in the shocks, in my son's Jeep they were in the center of the spring. Also discovered that the camber was at -2 degrees from the factory, a bit aggressive for the casual street driving that I do. Brought that down to about 1.3 degrees in the rear (which is the lowest I could go), and 1 degree in the front after the install . Added the camber bolts in the front and camber adjustment kit in the rear which made adjusting the camber a cinch. Thumbs up to Steeda for the quality products!
LoweredStang.jpg

Trebor355

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018gt
Sponsored