Sponsored

Got side swiped. Should I polish or repaint?

Lunixor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Today while my car was parked at work, someone side swiped the driver side of my front fender and bumper while pulling out of their spot.

I’m pretty upset because this car is only a year old and I’ve kept it in meticulous condition, with constant detailing. I barely even drive it.

Now as a result of the side swipe my car has some scuffs and scrapes along the side, and a small dent. Looks like a little bit got chipped off as well.

It seems like I have two options:
  • Take the car to a body shop where they will likely do a repaint of the fender and bumper
  • Take the car to a detail shop so they can attempt to buff out/polish the paint, touch up the chip, and pull out the dent
What would you guys do in this situation?

I’m worried that the detail shop won’t be able to get it back to looking 100%, but at the same time, I’m afraid the body shop will not be able to match the colour properly (rapid red) and I’ll end up with mismatched panels.

IMG_5168.jpeg

IMG_5172.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
I'd replace and respray the fender , but certainly worth trying to find an undamaged rapid red fender first for the easiset fix of all .

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I hate thieves. Any cameras catch the culprit?

OP
OP
Lunixor

Lunixor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I hate thieves. Any cameras catch the culprit?
They left a note actually and were quite apologetic. They also offered to pay for the repair. I’m just concerned with how I can get the repair done in a way where I’m not gonna notice the defects later.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
I would start with polishing. If you are not comfortable to do it yourself, take a chance with a detailing company in your sector

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I wouldn't even consider any option other than a good body shop. Matching paint for a good tech isn't that hard. You just need to make sure to do your research and find the best in your area.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Sad to hear about this incident. The scratches are noticeable but are in a smaller area based on the phots, I bet a good polish would do the trick.

When it comes to situations like this, start easy with a polish and see if that works, then go more difficult with a repaint if you are not satisfied. Best of luck with the repair!

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Sad to hear about this incident. The scratches are noticeable but are in a smaller area based on the phots, I bet a good polish would do the trick.

When it comes to situations like this, start easy with a polish and see if that works, then go more difficult with a repaint if you are not satisfied. Best of luck with the repair!
+1.

Try the easy/cheap way first--polish. If you don't like the results, then get it painted. Looks like most of that will come out. But if you paint first, you'll never know.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That should buff out. I'd still want it fixed or replaced due to the dent.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will get everything out other than this in the bottom left where its gone down to plastic :

1695905956487.png

And maybe the single deep scratch in the top right (which could be reduced / made to look better).

Use PDR for any panel distortion.

At that point you will have a decision to make i.e. live with it looking much better than it does now, or go down the bodyshop / paint route.

Nothing to lose by trying the polish and PDR route first :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Mojo9691

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT/CS - Mischievous Purple
Take it to a competent bodyshop and it should be an easy fix.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
You guys are way too nice! The OP's car was damaged and the other party has acknowledged financial responsibility. Not a chance I would be trying to do anything other than get it repaired back to factory original condition.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
You guys are way too nice! The OP's car was damaged and the other party has acknowledged financial responsibility. Not a chance I would be trying to do anything other than get it repaired back to factory original condition.

You’re not wrong. I’d at least start with a search for the right body shop for a consult. Ask a Pro. decide for yourself.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
They left a note actually and were quite apologetic. They also offered to pay for the repair. I’m just concerned with how I can get the repair done in a way where I’m not gonna notice the defects later.
Start with a polish to see if it will clean up. If not check thepartsfarm and see if the have an undamaged fender in your color and replace. 2 cheapest options and keeps the carfax clean.

OP
OP
Lunixor

Lunixor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I washed the area and applied some polishing compound. Got it looking better but there’s still a dent and some scrapes.
IMG_5186.jpeg

I took it to a body shop for an estimate and they would need to sand and repaint both the bumper and fender to get it looking new again. $2400 cost.
I’m going to get it checked out by a detail shop though to see if they think they can polish out the remaining scratches, but I think they’re deep in the paint so probably not doable.
Sponsored